talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

For All Mankind (Apple TV+)

football forum

• Subscriber

lvYajilzbVUkj5QBmAD8v1qz0g4.jpg

One of the best series in recent years... Anyone else watched this? Season 3 is in the works now, and Season 4 has been green lit already, too.

A story set in an alternative historical reality, pondering the question: What if the USSR reached the Moon before the United States, and the Cold War-era global space race never ended?

Brilliant cast (Joel Kinnaman!), both real historical figures and completely fictional characters, great storytelling, plenty of action, drama, as well as humour and social critique. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
On 29/07/2021 at 02:29, nudge said:

One of the best series in recent years... Anyone else watched this? Season 3 is in the works now, and Season 4 has been green lit already, too.

A story set in an alternative historical reality, pondering the question: What if the USSR reached the Moon before the United States, and the Cold War-era global space race never ended?

Brilliant cast (Joel Kinnaman!), both real historical figures and completely fictional characters, great storytelling, plenty of action, drama, as well as humour and social critique. 

Saw it in the list but didn't really take too much notice of it as work has been ramping up to unmanageable levels lately. Its now on my list of show to watch haha.

• Subscriber
54 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Saw it in the list but didn't really take too much notice of it as work has been ramping up to unmanageable levels lately. Its now on my list of show to watch haha.

I was positively surprised. Didn't have many expectations, but it's just soooo good. 

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, nudge said:

I was positively surprised. Didn't have many expectations, but it's just soooo good. 

Just think all that time could have been invested in Mafia Wars instead 🤔

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Batard said:

Just think all that time could have been invested in Mafia Wars instead 🤔

Your fault for not running Mafia Wars at the time when I binged watched it, then 😌

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
2 hours ago, nudge said:

Season 3 premieres on June 10! :D

Really looking forward to it. Seems they are making the next time jump to 1995 and will focus on Mars colonisation.

@Tommy

Nice! Can't wait to see where they are going with this. 

• 1 month later...

Just watched the first episode of Season 3. Amazing. They really nail the seaminglessly going from one decade to another and make it look so believable.

The writing is also so creative and incredible. I would never have guessed that we start Season 3 mainly in the place where it did, but it had me hooked from start to finish. 

Just watched the 2nd Episode of Season 3. Amazing. 

First of all, I hated that Ed was so mean to Danielle in the bar. 😬

Second of all, what an episode. Really interesting that a private organisation challenges NASA and the Soviets in their programs. Not that unrealistic as we see today. Their leader is so interesting and charismatic. Love how he runs his business. Total opposite to how they run things at NASA as they showed with Margo being the opposite of an even hierarchy. 

Also didn't think that Danny would turn out to be Karen's stalker. Creepy. 😬

tenor.gif?itemid=15102663

:ph34r:

Watched the third episode of Season 3 today. Really good again. 

Margo being compromised by the Russians was tough to watch. She's usually such a strong and professional person, so seeing her in that position was rough. 

Danny is creepy and seems like a whiny little kid. Although it's somewhat understandable after the trauma of losing his parents like that. 

Really interesting to see Helios trying and often succeeding in poaching NASA employees. But with the boss trying to bring "artists" onto their Mars mission, I think there will be more clashes between him and Ed in the future. 

Also I like that Ed didn't give his daughter too much shit after she told him that she wants to work for NASA instead of him. I thought storywise it makes a lot more sense too, as she's a scientist, and sees more point in going with NASA for that reason. 

Disappointed by the lack of Milly though! :( Also I really like Danielle! 

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Tommy said:

tenor.gif?itemid=15102663

:ph34r:

Watched the third episode of Season 3 today. Really good again. 

Reveal hidden contents

xD

I'm watching and enjoying it, and I'm reading your posts, just can't be bothered to post most of the time...

Think this season started strong, and I'm glad to see they jump forward quite a lot instead of getting entangled in interpersonal relationship stuff too much. Especially Danny's obsession with Karen xD

Really interested to see what happens next storyline wise.

I bet there will be some massive twist on Mars. This show had very little focus on China's space programme so far; I wonder if it's something we'll see in the near future?

Also, maybe evidence of life on Mars will be found? By Ed's daughter, obviously :D

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

xD

I'm watching and enjoying it, and I'm reading your posts, just can't be bothered to post most of the time...

Think this season started strong, and I'm glad to see they jump forward quite a lot instead of getting entangled in interpersonal relationship stuff too much. Especially Danny's obsession with Karen xD

Really interested to see what happens next storyline wise.

Hide contents

I bet there will be some massive twist on Mars. This show had very little focus on China's space programme so far; I wonder if it's something we'll see in the near future?

Also, maybe evidence of life on Mars will be found? By Ed's daughter, obviously :D

I didn't want to post here again either, but they posted in the embarassing topic again so it was seen on the frontpage. :ph34r:

Would be funny if they show up on Mars and the Chinese are already there. 

😂

Ah and yes, forgot about Kelly's comment about the "that we're not alone" thing. Could be an interesting story in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Watched the newest episode last night.

Think that's my least favourite so far this season, although I still enjoy it. The whole Karen-Danny storyline pisses me off, and I wish they'd put it to bed already. It'll probably end up badly for either Danny or Ed, but the sooner they resolve it, the better. 

Also, as I expected, they are going to expose Ellen/Larry for being gay, aren't they? I quite enjoyed the social commentary in this show since the very beginning, but I hope they won't focus on it too much; I want more space action and science!

Think they are definitely moving towards finding alien life in those Mars water samples.

Yea, the episode was kind of meh. 

I thought it was interesting though, that they made so much progress in technology, but apparently not so much on social issues. The Vice President's reaction to Tyler's coming out was a bit shocking. 

😅 And yea, exposing Ellen and Larry was expected, and it's gonna be a huge story in the next episode.

Personally, I quite enjoy the Danny story. But I just like seeing actors play psychos. I like how Ed called him erratic in the video, and Danny responds by punching the screen with his injured hand like an...erratic person. xD

Oh and I also found it funny how the NASA astronauts and Soviet Cosmonauts have these standard space suits, and there comes Ed from Helios looking like Buzz Lightyear. 😂

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Tommy said:

Yea, the episode was kind of meh. 

Hide contents

I thought it was interesting though, that they made so much progress in technology, but apparently not so much on social issues. The Vice President's reaction to Tyler's coming out was a bit shocking. 

😅 And yea, exposing Ellen and Larry was expected, and it's gonna be a huge story in the next episode.

Personally, I quite enjoy the Danny story. But I just like seeing actors play psychos. I like how Ed called him erratic in the video, and Danny responds by punching the screen with his injured hand like an...erratic person. xD

Oh and I also found it funny how the NASA astronauts and Soviet Cosmonauts have these standard space suits, and there comes Ed from Helios looking like Buzz Lightyear. 😂

The actor playing Danny is doing a great job, but I think the show just spends too much time on the whole thing... Some interpersonal stuff is fine, but they seem to stick with this one for about 20 years now, and I don't think it brings much to the overall story...

I wonder how the whole Margo giving information to the Soviets thing will turn out... I kind of expect Aleida to find it out first; that would be an interesting parallel to Margo being disappointed with her mentor (von Braun) at the start of the series. iI hope they manage to get Sergey's family out of Russia first though.

I need more Mars stuff! Also, where is the Chinese space programm? We need more players in this.

• Subscriber

A much better episode again.

Danny's such a pathetic piece of shit. Literally just got people on both Helios and Russian crew killed/injured, put the entire Mars mission in jeopardy, and potentially dashed all hopes for easy long-term colonisation of Mars because he's a junkie who can't deal with his emotions and obsession with Karen. If Kelly was right and there's life in that water sample, then he also wiped out life on Mars. Or actually, maybe he saved it from contamination, haha. Hope Ed survives; he should have listened to Danielle when she warned him about Danny... and he should have sent him back to Phoenix on the first sign of him being unstable. Also, I think that cosmonaut sleeping with Ed's daugther is probably dead, too, and I predict we'll find out that Kelly is pregnant with his child some time in the near future.

Margo is going the Von Braun route for sure... Think Aleida figured it out, and will probably go to the higher ups to reveal it. Margo will lose her career, likely will go to prison too, and on top of that, will never see Sergey again. That goodbye scene was so sad... You just realise they both knew they weren't going to see each other again. Tragic, really.

I'm wondering about the Jimmy's storyline - those conspiracy nuts are going to frame him for something, aren't they? It's obvious they are just using him, and I don't believe the only thing they did was stealing that statue of his parents... Planted a bomb, maybe? The whole Stevens family is so fucked up. 

Larry lying to the Congress on oath will probably have consequences, too. Their marriage is over for sure, and I think that's also the end of Ellen's career as well. Will she finally choose Pam over politics, now that she knows the sacrifice Pam made for her? 

12 hours ago, nudge said:

A much better episode again.

Hide contents

Danny's such a pathetic piece of shit. Literally just got people on both Helios and Russian crew killed/injured, put the entire Mars mission in jeopardy, and potentially dashed all hopes for easy long-term colonisation of Mars because he's a junkie who can't deal with his emotions and obsession with Karen. If Kelly was right and there's life in that water sample, then he also wiped out life on Mars. Or actually, maybe he saved it from contamination, haha. Hope Ed survives; he should have listened to Danielle when she warned him about Danny... and he should have sent him back to Phoenix on the first sign of him being unstable. Also, I think that cosmonaut sleeping with Ed's daugther is probably dead, too, and I predict we'll find out that Kelly is pregnant with his child some time in the near future.

Margo is going the Von Braun route for sure... Think Aleida figured it out, and will probably go to the higher ups to reveal it. Margo will lose her career, likely will go to prison too, and on top of that, will never see Sergey again. That goodbye scene was so sad... You just realise they both knew they weren't going to see each other again. Tragic, really.

I'm wondering about the Jimmy's storyline - those conspiracy nuts are going to frame him for something, aren't they? It's obvious they are just using him, and I don't believe the only thing they did was stealing that statue of his parents... Planted a bomb, maybe? The whole Stevens family is so fucked up. 

Larry lying to the Congress on oath will probably have consequences, too. Their marriage is over for sure, and I think that's also the end of Ellen's career as well. Will she finally choose Pam over politics, now that she knows the sacrifice Pam made for her? 

Jesus, what an episode. 

Danny just turning from pathetic into a pathetic junkie. Still love the actor's performance though. And I kind of thought in the back of my head that he's eventually going to try and kill Ed. I hope he didn't succeed. 

And yea, Aleida is too smart for her own good. 😅 But it was interesting to see Margo showing a lot of emotions for a change. First with Sergei forced back to Moscow, and then after Aleida confronting her. 

And yea... I kind of feel for Jimmy. He wants attention and sort of feel liked, and he's got it from the wrong people who are just using him. I hope we seem some kind of a redemption arc from him eventually. The NASA people were so nice to him. :/ And he seems good at heart, but just easily manipulated by these weird cult people. 

The Larry and Ellen thing is interesting. I think the Larry having an affair with that guy could be easily swept under the rug, because it just came from that one guy. But I find it weird how Ellen jeopardizes all of that by visiting her former girlfriend. And I find it generally weird how they talk that loudly and open about the secret stuff in the White House, with so many employees and ears around. xD 

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Tommy said:

Jesus, what an episode. 

Hide contents

Danny just turning from pathetic into a pathetic junkie. Still love the actor's performance though. And I kind of thought in the back of my head that he's eventually going to try and kill Ed. I hope he didn't succeed. 

And yea, Aleida is too smart for her own good. 😅 But it was interesting to see Margo showing a lot of emotions for a change. First with Sergei forced back to Moscow, and then after Aleida confronting her. 

And yea... I kind of feel for Jimmy. He wants attention and sort of feel liked, and he's got it from the wrong people who are just using him. I hope we seem some kind of a redemption arc from him eventually. The NASA people were so nice to him. :/ And he seems good at heart, but just easily manipulated by these weird cult people. 

The Larry and Ellen thing is interesting. I think the Larry having an affair with that guy could be easily swept under the rug, because it just came from that one guy. But I find it weird how Ellen jeopardizes all of that by visiting her former girlfriend. And I find it generally weird how they talk that loudly and open about the secret stuff in the White House, with so many employees and ears around. xD 

I think Ellen will out herself and step down to be with Pam, now that she knows the truth and also knows that Larry is unhappy.

I hope Ed survives, but it would also make sense to kill him off... It's already a bit stretching to have him lead a Mars mission in his 60s, and considering the series will continue doing 10 year or so time jumps in the next season(s) too, they'll have to retire most of the original characters at some point. The same way they are setting up Margo's fall, and just like they already have Molly gone. Which is sad, as it was a very strong ensemble from the very start. But on the other hand, we're doing just fine without Tracy & Gordo, so I think the show will also survive without Ed, Karen, Margo etc. too. I think they'll need to introduce some more interesting, strong characters though, as I'm not sure the likes of psycho Danny, Kelly, Jimmy, Dev will be enough to carry the show.

On a side note, what I always found interesting is how many events happening in the series are often some version of real-life historical events, and show characters are often versions of reall-life ones!

6 minutes ago, nudge said:

Hide contents

I think Ellen will out herself and step down to be with Pam, now that she knows the truth and also knows that Larry is unhappy.

I hope Ed survives, but it would also make sense to kill him off... It's already a bit stretching to have him lead a Mars mission in his 60s, and considering the series will continue doing 10 year or so time jumps in the next season(s) too, they'll have to retire most of the original characters at some point. The same way they are setting up Margo's fall, and just like they already have Molly gone. Which is sad, as it was a very strong ensemble from the very start. But on the other hand, we're doing just fine without Tracy & Gordo, so I think the show will also survive without Ed, Karen, Margo etc. too. I think they'll need to introduce some more interesting, strong characters though, as I'm not sure the likes of psycho Danny, Kelly, Jimmy, Dev will be enough to carry the show.

On a side note, what I always found interesting is how many events happening in the series are often some version of real-life historical events, and show characters are often versions of reall-life ones!

Yea, that makes sense with Ellen outing herself and returning to her "true self" instead of playing a role solely for the career. 

And yes, I thought the same about Ed being killed off. They can't have him leading missions in his 80's, so it's really time for the younger characters to take over. But I think with the ones you mentioned, there's already a good base of interesting characters, but yes, there should be some new ones. Also I'm intrigued on Aleida's future. Will she become Margo's successsor? Do something else entirely? 🤔 I quite like that character. 

Can you elaborate on those real life events or characters that are based on real life ones? I know I've noticed a few, but maybe I've missed some.

Archived