The better place to talk football.

New Suggestions

football forum

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
On 29/07/2021 at 10:48, Stan said:

The Topics side-bar (right hand side of front page) used to put unread topics in bold. At the moment they're all normal with no bold format.

@Rab :) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
7 minutes ago, Storts said:

Embarrassing I know but can we have a sub heading like the CL and EL for the conference league please 

Yep can do this tomorrow 👍

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Storts said:

Embarrassing I know but can we have a sub heading like the CL and EL for the conference league please 

10 hours ago, Storts said:

Cheers 👍

Done. Will be updated with the group stage teams when draw is complete later. 

Just wondering.

Is there any more that can be done with regard to recruitment? Getting new members in and also then getting them to stick around?

Obviously the more members the more different opinions you get and in most cases that should benefit the discussion and forum as a whole. 

I must have been a part of this forum (taking into account the old ones) since I was teenager and there's a great long serving core group here that post regularly and keep the forum going but I can't help but think at times that certain topics or areas would be great if they had more discussion and posts going, even something as popular as the weekly matchday threads.

It's of course something I'd happily help out with and I'm sure most of us would on here, it could become a collective effort. I've noticed some good new members join recently. Could start by seeing how they discovered the forum etc (although I think that's something you can see on people's profiles anyway?) Would it be to do more on social media? Or advertise or get the word out in other ways? There's probably though a fine line between advertising and spamming. Or aren't forums as popular as they used to be anyway?

With the Europa League and Conference League group stages, is it worth having sub forums for each (or selected) groups over having a topic for each group, covering all matchdays?

Similarly, with international qualifiers and having all these sub forums with topics with low post counts.

Just expands the forum, increasing layers to navigate and makes the topics seem rather empty.

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Is there any more that can be done with regard to recruitment? Getting new members in and also then getting them to stick around?

Good, you mentioned that a lot of members who join might add a couple of posts in a thread, sometimes we welcome them aboard and sometimes we say nothing and then I notice they disappear and never post again.

It might be a good idea is when they join is to introduce themselves in the Introduction thread first and let us know a little bit about him or her, I know when I joined a lot of you lot gave me a good welcome and some funny welcomes too,  but I liked what I read and continued on from there posting.

It might be a good idea is telling them when they join they have to introduce themseves first (add the link) so we can get to know them a bit better, it will also make us notice a Spammer/Troll or a Wum a lot better and then they can be zapped.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

With the Europa League and Conference League group stages, is it worth having sub forums for each (or selected) groups over having a topic for each group, covering all matchdays?

Similarly, with international qualifiers and having all these sub forums with topics with low post counts.

Just expands the forum, increasing layers to navigate and makes the topics seem rather empty.

There are selected groups - not all groups are covered.

We've previously had it where there were all matchdays covered in one topic - it was suggested back then to have it how it is now (selected groups) because having it all in one place became difficult for members to discuss specific matches.

18 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

Just wondering.

Obviously the more members the more different opinions you get and in most cases that should benefit the discussion and forum as a whole. 

I must have been a part of this forum (taking into account the old ones) since I was teenager and there's a great long serving core group here that post regularly and keep the forum going but I can't help but think at times that certain topics or areas would be great if they had more discussion and posts going, even something as popular as the weekly matchday threads.

It's of course something I'd happily help out with and I'm sure most of us would on here, it could become a collective effort. I've noticed some good new members join recently. Could start by seeing how they discovered the forum etc (although I think that's something you can see on people's profiles anyway?) Would it be to do more on social media? Or advertise or get the word out in other ways? There's probably though a fine line between advertising and spamming. Or aren't forums as popular as they used to be anyway?

Best way to get them to stick around is to ensure @DeadLinesman doesn’t post.

I get your point though, I’ve been around since 2004. Which is insane when I think about it. But, perhaps forums are losing out to other social media avenues these days. There’s possibly more thst could be done and perhaps new members can get photos of Stan upon arrival which should help? Or at least some other “member benefits”? Not sure what we could offer though. 

Not a suggestion as such but more a question. Why arent all the banned members in the banned members thread?  That Newcastle fan that got banned for example? 

On 27/08/2021 at 12:39, carefreeluke said:

Just wondering.

This is something that has been discussed amongst staff previously. More so in the second year when we weren't getting many sign ups and there were slight concerns over the long term sustainability after what happened with Total Football Forums and a lot of it's competitiors. However those concerns are no longer there.

Our main recruitment pull is being top of the Google charts when you typed in football forum. I'm not sure we're there any more as Google took us off there search engine when the servers got hit by the Japanese spam the other month. Long term that's not an issue as we will get back there based on the good engagement we have and if you view the other forums on that first Google page (without meaning to blow smoke up all your arses) we have the best football community going. 

We have a presence on social media but it's more for brand recognition. The difficulty with recruiting on those platforms is people don't go to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook etc to look for a new place to talk about football because that's what they're doing on those platforms already. Twitter is also something we have to be cautious with because after reviewing the clout chasing accounts its become evident that the tweets that gain the most traction are ones that are either so hilarious they get stolen by a full-time bigger account anyway or are opinions that are so fucking stupid everybody wants to challenge it.

Hindsight being 20 20 when this place first launched we could have looked at sponsoring podcasts and YouTube channels but the cost of that ship now appears to have long sailed since. We have tried new ideas to attract new members. The prize for FPL winner this year was two fold in the sense that it causes our regular members to be active in that section but also was promoted on Twitter to see whether it would attract more members. Whilst the former worked, the latter didn't.

In essence we're not concerned about the long term health of this place. We have a very, very good core group of members and the amount of people that are signing up and revisiting is increasing each year since the TF365 infancy. For this place to move to another level and reach its full potential it would take people to leave there jobs as it would be a full time commitment. Consideration would be have to be given to hiring a graphic designer, paying people to publish articles, a full time social media spoc that's in regular communication with the graphic designer, a fully functioning website, an app for mobile devices, the cost of ensuring the technology for the website and app doesn't crash, possible podcast consideration and not to mention sponsorship on other channels. Whilst all of that wouldn't happen in one stage, it would still cause somebody (or a collective group) to take a substantial financial hit in the first place with no guarantee of seeing the money return and also (if succesful) run the risk of alienating some of the regular members who we've all built friendships with because of the environment that this place evolves in to. In short moving the apple cart would be a huge risk for no guarantee of reward. It goes without saying we're also not interested in selling the forum to somebody with that level of ambition after what the last fucktard did with the last forum.

So in short we're aware, we're ensuring enough people know we're the best football forum available, we're not worried about the long term health of this place and hopefully nobody else is too.

5 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Not a suggestion as such but more a question. Why arent all the banned members in the banned members thread?  That Newcastle fan that got banned for example? 

Out of interest which Newcastle fan are you referring too?

We regularly remove a lot of bots and spammers that we don't give recognition too.

27 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

cases

5 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

If you mean Toony, he was banned for starting his own forum (which is fine) and then PM'ing all of the members here asking them to leave here and join his place (not fine). 

He also masturbated over Mark Selby's Tenerife 2007 pictures, which we thought was quite weird.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Our main recruitment pull is being top of the Google charts when you typed in football forum. I'm not sure we're there any more as Google took us off there search engine when the servers got hit by the Japanese spam the other month.

Top 20 Soccer Forums, Discussions and Message Boards
  • NYCFC Forums.
  • You Boys in Green Forum.
  • SiouxSports.com » Football Latest Topics.
  • Talk Football 365 Forum » General Football.
  • Arizona Soccer Forum.
  • This Is Anfield Forums.
  • My Football Forum » General Football.
  • Predictwhite.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Top+football+forums&rlz=1CAIGZW_enGB922GB922&oq=Top+football+forums&aqs=chrome..69i57.11556j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Well, you can't moan at that 9_9 :banana:

1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:
Top 20 Soccer Forums, Discussions and Message Boards
  • NYCFC Forums.
  • You Boys in Green Forum.
  • SiouxSports.com » Football Latest Topics.
  • Talk Football 365 Forum » General Football.
  • Arizona Soccer Forum.
  • This Is Anfield Forums.
  • My Football Forum » General Football.
  • Predictwhite.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Top+football+forums&rlz=1CAIGZW_enGB922GB922&oq=Top+football+forums&aqs=chrome..69i57.11556j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Well, you can't moan at that 9_9 :banana:

I thought that this couldn't be right because I know a huge forum...but it's call Big Soccer (not football) ahah

Archived