talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Conor Gallagher Appreciation Society

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Conor Gallagher has opted to join Crystal Palace on loan. He also had interest from Leeds and Newcastle.

Source: Tom Barclay. 

I'm impressed with how proactive we have been since the managerial search. It seems a domino effect has occurred after the first name signed.

We very nearly signed him on loan last season from Chelsea but we caught wind in the 11th hour that Michy Batshuayi was available. In hindsight I think that's benefitted Gallagher as I don't believe he's the type of footballer Roy would have prioritising in developing as seen with Meyer and Camarasa.

Maybe I am being slightly greedy but I would like to see another central midfielder who can carry the ball from deeper positions. Jairo Riedewald may develop in to that player this season as we encourage a more possession based style of football but if Anguissa is still available it would be an immense addition to the style of play Vieira wants.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Conor Gallagher Appreciation Society

We've missed someone like him in midfield. We're very particular with who we sign and he'd have fit like a glove with our style. Ironically, we've not looked close to playing 'Bielsaball' yet and the lack of energy in midfield has been an issue.

It was easy to see why we went for him but our loss has definitely been Palace's gain. Good luck to them, had a load of dross in recent times.

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Ironically, we've not looked close to playing 'Bielsaball' yet and the lack of energy in midfield has been an issue.

Good opportunity for you to find your feet next week against our leaky defence... 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Good opportunity for you to find your feet next week against our leaky defence... 

We've only beaten Watford and Crewe this season and potentially have the bonus of being Norwich's first scalp tomorrow. I don't think you need to worry about us at the moment.

Chelsea have had a good academy for a while now and he seems to be another that's impressing. Can see Chelsea moving another graduate on that used to get a lot of attention for being an impressive young talent in Loftus-Cheek next season. Him along with Barkley being moved on with Conor Gallagher becoming a part of Chelsea's squad should be the plan. Don't think Saul's move will be made permanent either. Lewis Baker might even move on (although the universe might collapse if the happens).

12 hours ago, Dan said:

He's a quality player. I'm sure someone here recommended him when he was at Charlton as an FI buy.

Possibly me, I think. Saw him twice in that six month loan spell at Charlton, firstly getting the better of Kalvin Phillips and Leeds and again against West Brom, where Charlton got a point and he was the standout player in that side. 

He looked a good talent, I didn’t expect him to do so well in his first real spell in the Premier League, mind. 

I saw him last season a few times at West Brom and thought he showed good energy though seemed a bit of a headless chicken at times.

Under Vieira he seems a different prospect with his attacking ability.

Interesting to see how high his ceiling will be. 

With Kante getting older perhaps we might use him next season yet that is way off yet hope to hear continued good reports on him at Palace. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Possibly me, I think. Saw him twice in that six month loan spell at Charlton, firstly getting the better of Kalvin Phillips and Leeds and again against West Brom, where Charlton got a point and he was the standout player in that side. 

He looked a good talent, I didn’t expect him to do so well in his first real spell in the Premier League, mind. 

I was thinking it was you but I wasn't 100%. A very good shout. I thought last season he looked WBA's best player by some distance. I think he'd be unattainable for us, I think Chelsea will probably keep him around.

Chelsea's academy is actually quality. Looking beyond what their youngsters are doing there, so many of them seem to be breaking through in the league at other clubs this season.

Issue with our midfield is that our two CM's require absolute discipline for the system to be successful. Gallagher loves to venture forward so I don't know how well he'd fit in that. 

That being said, I felt the same way with Loftus-Cheek but he has been one of our better midfielders this season. Last season I hadn't the slightest idea what Gallagher was good at. Under Vieira, it looks like he is blossoming and showing qualities that surpass even Mount at the moment. 

Archived