talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Your Most Iconic Teams/Groups of Players

football forum

Easy thread...what are your favourite teams/players within those teams of the past that you wish you could get caught up in the hype for again?

I'll go first with an example...Valencia with David Silva, Juan Mata and David Villa. All 3 players went on to win the biggest silverware in Europe,  playing FM or Fifa at the time with them you just had this hope that you could turn Valencia into the next Barce or Real.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fiorentina of the late 90s. Rui Costa, Chiesa and (most importantly) Batistuta.

Seeing them on Football Italia, and then appearing in the Champions League beating Arsenal and Man United.

Also one of the iconic goals / pieces of commentary from the ITV Champions League era

• Administrator

Real Madrid early 00s. Galacticos period. 

AC Milan shortly after - that era of Kaka, Seedorf, Pirlo, Gattuso, Nesta, Maldini. Legendary.

Spain 2008-2012. That era of sheer dominance they had. Flown by too quickly during that period and since then. 

Barcelona in that same period too. Won La Liga several times and of course the CL twice. 

Arsenal when they had their period of proper sexy football - Henry, Pires, Bergkamp, Gilberto Silva, Cole, Petit, Overmars, Keown (obvs), Vieira, Ljungberg. Henry especially was just a joy to watch any given game.

Leicester 2015/16. I want to relive that constantly.  

12 minutes ago, Stan said:

Real Madrid early 00s. Galacticos period. 

AC Milan shortly after - that era of Kaka, Seedorf, Pirlo, Gattuso, Nesta, Maldini. Legendary.

Spain 2008-2012. That era of sheer dominance they had. Flown by too quickly during that period and since then. 

Barcelona in that same period too. Won La Liga several times and of course the CL twice. 

Arsenal when they had their period of proper sexy football - Henry, Pires, Bergkamp, Gilberto Silva, Cole, Petit, Overmars, Keown (obvs), Vieira, Ljungberg. Henry especially was just a joy to watch any given game.

Leicester 2015/16. I want to relive that constantly.  

For English football (in my time), I'd say it's probably Man United 98-03.

Just watching MOTD during that period and seeing the team line up:

Giggs - Scholes - Keane - Beckham

Just seemed to be just ever present and winning all the time. The rest of the team changed / evolved around them, but they remained.

The Juventus defence of Buffon, Barzagli, Bonnuci and Chellini is pretty iconic, even if they never quite reached their ultimate goal of the Champions League.

• Administrator

I could have mentioned a lot of late 90s/early 00s Serie A teams. That whole era for Italian club football was just on another level.

I'd love for Football Italia to be brought back in some way but can't see it ever happening.

5 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Fiorentina of the late 90s. Rui Costa, Chiesa and (most importantly) Batistuta.

Seeing them on Football Italia, and then appearing in the Champions League beating Arsenal and Man United.

Also one of the iconic goals / pieces of commentary from the ITV Champions League era

That Fiorentina side was so brilliant to watch. Coolest fucking kits too.

Most recently I did kind of enjoy Spain 2008 to 2012. They were just miles better than anyone. Some exceptional players.

Similar kind of respect for Brazil late 90's to early 2000's with Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo front 3. Cafu & Roberto Carlos at full back. Yes, they had Zidane's France running them close all the way. And Rivaldo had that weird moment holding his face rather than his knee. But that Brazil side suddenly felt like I could see what all the Pele, Jairzinho fuss was all about.

On club sides, several era Milan sides from early 90's onwards.

You either enjoyed the Ferguson Man United era, or were suppressing celebrations when it ended. I have to say I did have a soft spot for Keegan's Newcastle, with Shearer, Ginola & a few others really taking it to them 2 seasons in a row late 90's. The Wenger Invincibles.

Over the course of the 90's I did witness Villa finish runners up to Man United. They won 2 League Cups. Top 5 was near guaranteed. Dublin, Townsend, Southgate, Merson have notably gone on to do rather well in post retirement roles. Right now is kind of getting close to a similar feeling to that Ron Atkinson-Brian Little-John Gregory era.

• Subscriber

Lots of teams spring to mind but the one that stuck for me in 03-04 was Deportivo La Coruna. Shame they lost to Porto in the semis but that team put out some great performances in the Champions League. All the others that could be mentioned have been. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Just come across this iconic pair on a football retro shirts post, and it deserved a share. 

9CF1C1D2-E993-492B-AC4D-45C3E37336B0.jpeg

In reply to the OP. I loved the  invincible team. Henry in his prime is the most enjoyable player I’ve ever seen live. 

Henry, Vieira, Cole. All the greatest in the world in their position. Iconic. 

On 01/08/2021 at 06:15, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Manchester City under Mancini were underrated. 

Aguero, Dzeko and Tevez up front. Silva, Yaya, Nigel De Jong in midfield. Zabaleta, Kolarov, Kompany at the back. 

Think they are rated just fine. Their awful record in Europe why they aren't rated higher. 

I remember when Pirlo was considered a great player then seemingly overnight people began kissing his ass and furiously wanking over every little thing he did. Funny how perception can change so quickly. Kinda like how no one cared about Puyol, Xavi, and Iniesta till Guardiola's reign came into full swing.

Manchester United with Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, and Keane is the archetype of a Premier League team. They were the stars of the teams that made Manchester United and the Premier League the most famous team and league in the world.

• Administrator
12 hours ago, Coma said:

2000's era Roma for me.  Only one title but multiple 2nd place finishes in Serie A through 2010.  Totti still my favorite player of all time, followed closely by De Rossi.

Totti is my biggest fan

Screenshot_20210901_092137_com.instagram.android_1.jpg

Chased me round Mykonos for this picture then didn't even smile for it. 

(sorry I'll take any excuse to post it xD

Got to be that late 90's Parma team that won the UEFA Cup.

Forget the players for a second, loved that Yellow and Blue striped kit. So fancy.

Then the team. You had the likes of Buffon in goal, Thuram, Sensini and Cannavaro across the back, Dino Baggio and Veron in midfield and forwards such as Crespo and Chiesa. Oozed class.

Parma.jpg

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

Got to be that late 90's Parma team that won the UEFA Cup.

Forget the players for a second, loved that Yellow and Blue striped kit. So fancy.

Then the team. You had the likes of Buffon in goal, Thuram, Sensini and Cannavaro across the back, Dino Baggio and Veron in midfield and forwards such as Crespo and Chiesa. Oozed class.

Parma.jpg

Quite disappointing that team never managed to win the league. 

Archived