talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL Predictions 2021/22

A week to go until the season starts so let's see your predictions so we can all have a laugh at the end of the season.

Last season we all seemed to do relatively well but all seem to severely underestimate Barnsley and overestimate both Derby and Forest.

West Brom
Sheffield United
Bournemouth
Fulham
Cardiff City
Nottingham Forest
Middlesbrough
Stoke City
QPR
Barnsley
Milwall
Luton Town
Birmingham City
Blackburn Rovers
Reading
Preston
Coventry City
Swansea City
Bristol City
Hull City
Peterborough United
Huddersfield Town
Derby County
Blackpool

- I'm absolutely certain that two of the top four will go up automatically and I'd be astounded if any of them do not finish in the playoffs.
- I think any of the teams from 5th to 8th could finish in the playoffs or as low as 14th.
- I think the teams from 9th to 13th are on the right track. Any of them could make a playoff surge but I think it may be a season too soon.
- I think those from 14th to 17th don't have enough for a playoff surge. They could potentially end up in the top half but I don't forsee them getting relegated.
- I think there could be a 'surprise' relegation and that could be anybody from Swansea below.
- I think Blackpool will battle admirably but I'm certain at the minute that themselves and Derby County will be going down this season.

Number of sackings: 10
Top goalscorer: Keifer Moore

If I was to chose a team in my bottom eight to 'Barnsley' me it would probably be Bristol City. They may have a different focus now that Pearson has got his band back together.

If I was to chose a team in my top eight to 'Derby' me I'd probably choose Nottingham Forest as the owner seems pretty mad and could fall out with Hughton for no apparent reason at any given time.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
  1. Fulham
  2. Sheff Utd
  3. West Brom
  4. Bournemouth
  5. Blackburn
  6. Cardiff
  7. Bristol City
  8. Middlesbrough
  9. Swansea
  10. Barnsley
  11. Millwall
  12. Stoke
  13. QPR
  14. Reading
  15. Preston
  16. Luton
  17. Coventry
  18. Forest
  19. Hull
  20. Huddersfield
  21. Birmingham
  22. Derby
  23. Blackpool
  24. Peterborough

I'd be very surprised if the top 4 aren't the top 4. It could be any order and is actually quite difficult to separate them. 

Would love Bristol City to do well for obvious reasons. Reckon they'll just miss out on play-offs.

Can imagine someone like Luton or QPR starting the season strong and then falling off due to lack of squad depth or just other teams getting their shit together.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Nice to be overestimated. I'll be shocked if we're in the mix for the play offs this season tbh. 

Without looking back I'm willing to bet you said the same last season! 

6 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Probably said it every season in fairness. 

McCarthys going to have these players for a whole season. It will be a lot of Perry Ng lofting balls in for Moore, Collins, Morrison, Flint etc to attack but I think it will be effective. 

I am gambling on Keifer Moore staying and staying fit for a whole season mind.

1) Nottingham Forest

2) Blackburn 

3) Cardiff

4) Sheffield United 

5) Fulham 

6) Bristol City 

7) Luton 

8 ) West Brom 

9) Bournemouth 

10) QPR 

11) Preston 

12) Millwall

13) Stoke 

14) Birmingham 

15) Reading

16) Middlesbrough

17) Barnsley

18) Swansea

19) Coventry 

20) Peterborough 

21) Hull 

22) Derby 

23) Huddersfield 

24) Blackpool 

• Subscriber

1. Fulham
2. West Brom

3. QPR
4. Sheffield United
5. Bournemouth
6. Swansea City

7. Barnsley
8. Nottingham Forest
9. Middlesbrough
10. Bristol City
11. Luton Town
12. Hull City
13. Stoke City.
14. Coventry City
15. Birmingham City
16. Preston North End
17. Reading
18. Cardiff City
19. Blackburn Rovers
20. Millwall
21. Huddersfield Town

22. Peterborough United
23. Blackpool
24. Derby County

• Subscriber

I'm not even joking when I say there's a decent chance Derby break some sort of record for low points totals this season (where've I heard that before). They're an absolute shambles. I've not seen a club enter a season in such a dire situation ever. I'm amazed anyone has them above 24th. Odds on to get relegated as things stand.

19 hours ago, Dan said:

I'm not even joking when I say there's a decent chance Derby break some sort of record for low points totals this season (where've I heard that before). They're an absolute shambles. I've not seen a club enter a season in such a dire situation ever. I'm amazed anyone has them above 24th. Odds on to get relegated as things stand.

But the thing is if they start off crap, they'll just replace Rooney 8-10 games in with someone competent. Might well not be enough to drag them to safety, but don't Derby have the funds to get a half-decent manager in once Rooney goes?

20 hours ago, Stan said:

Forest top :o?!

Chris Hughton has always struck me as someone whose good tactically and also a decent man-manager. Now he's had the chance to build his own team, I think they will be strong this year. 

West Brom, Bournemouth, Fulham, and Sheffield United are all starting with new managers (none of whom I believe have ever won the Championship, although happy to be corrected) so think they will take a while to hit their stride. 

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Ploughendplonker said:

Chris Hughton has always struck me as someone whose good tactically and also a decent man-manager. Now he's had the chance to build his own team, I think they will be strong this year. 

West Brom, Bournemouth, Fulham, and Sheffield United are all starting with new managers (none of whom I believe have ever won the Championship, although happy to be corrected) so think they will take a while to hit their stride. 

Parker (Bournemouth) never won it but he was promoted with Fulham via play-offs.

As did Jokanovic in 2018?

As good as Hughton is, it's a big leap to take Forest from how shite they have been and immediately take them to the top as Champions. 

I can't see enough in their squad to challenge for automatic. Not sure which signings they've even made this summer to enable that. 

39 minutes ago, Stan said:

Parker (Bournemouth) never won it but he was promoted with Fulham via play-offs.

As did Jokanovic in 2018?

As good as Hughton is, it's a big leap to take Forest from how shite they have been and immediately take them to the top as Champions. 

I can't see enough in their squad to challenge for automatic. Not sure which signings they've even made this summer to enable that. 

Parker did a good job at Fulham, but he was nowhere near the Championship title and had a decent squad to work with there. As a young manager, hard to know how he'll adjust to working with a completely different set of players. 

Jokanovic is a decent manager, but I feel Sheffield United's success hinged upon Chris Wilder. It was his group of players he took from League 1 to the Premier League. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Danny said:

Not paid a lot of attention, but top 3 I’d say would be along the lines of West Brom, Sheff United and Bournemouth.

I think QPR and Bournemouth will have a good seasons too.

And Bournemouth?

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Not paid a lot of attention, but top 3 I’d say would be along the lines of West Brom, Sheff United and Bournemouth.

I think QPR and Bournemouth will have a good seasons too.

Just out of curiosity, how do you think Bournemouth will do? 

2 hours ago, Stan said:

And Bournemouth?

41 minutes ago, Rick said:

Just out of curiosity, how do you think Bournemouth will do? 

Time is not linear and as such I feel that all of the Bournemouth’s will do well

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Ploughendplonker said:

But the thing is if they start off crap, they'll just replace Rooney 8-10 games in with someone competent. Might well not be enough to drag them to safety, but don't Derby have the funds to get a half-decent manager in once Rooney goes?

Nobody will touch them with a bargepole. It's why Rooney's still there - because he knows it's as good as it gets for him at the minute, and Derby know they aren't getting better.

Rooney should think longer term and walk. They are a car crash. They haven't got a squad that needs a kick up the arse, they've barely even got a squad. It's the worst in the league by a mile. I'd be genuinely impressed if they survived.

It’s hard to say for us, previous seasons we just rode on a wave of form with Wilder and we knew exactly what we were gonna get and that even translated into the Premier League. Our centre forward options are massive, just hope Jebbison will play enough as he looks to be a promising prospect but then we have McBurnie who will want redemption, Sharp will still play a role and Mousset still here.

• Administrator
55 minutes ago, DNA said:

It’s hard to say for us, previous seasons we just rode on a wave of form with Wilder and we knew exactly what we were gonna get and that even translated into the Premier League. Our centre forward options are massive, just hope Jebbison will play enough as he looks to be a promising prospect but then we have McBurnie who will want redemption, Sharp will still play a role and Mousset still here.

Just seen on Twitter it looks like Jebbison may go out on loan to Sunderland, Burton or Doncaster. Would be great experience at any of those clubs. 

Is McBurnie all good in your fans eyes then? I thought his off-field troubles would be the end of it. 

McGoldrick is the main striker right? Guessing he'll be near the top of the scoring charts come the end of the season. 

• Subscriber

I'd seen QPR being tipped by a few towards the end of last season to do well next year, and the friendly against them Saturday did nothing to change my mind. It's based on little but they were my left field play-offs pick.

On 02/08/2021 at 23:36, Stan said:

Just seen on Twitter it looks like Jebbison may go out on loan to Sunderland, Burton or Doncaster. Would be great experience at any of those clubs. 

Is McBurnie all good in your fans eyes then? I thought his off-field troubles would be the end of it. 

McGoldrick is the main striker right? Guessing he'll be near the top of the scoring charts come the end of the season. 

Hoping he stays tbh, looked sharp in our last few premier league games and Billy Sharp isn’t getting any younger, Mousset albeit always injured is still an asset I’d say, just lacks the fitness to go a full 90. With McBurnie we’re pretty much stuck with him and I suppose it’s worth giving him another chance, expectations are low though xD

• The title was changed to EFL Predictions 2021/22
  • The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived