talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leon Bailey - Aston Villa

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Bailey's been awesome on FIFA for a few seasons now.

Must be pretty nailed on if the clubs Twitter admin are announcing it.

They'd probably wait for i's to be dotted & t's to be crossed in any normal scenario. But with the Grealish choice thing ongoing everywhere anyone looks right now, Leon Bailey adding to Buendia is something to focus on. El Ghazi, Trezeguet & Traore all had scoring patches, but maybe not creating too much. Very noticeable dip when Grealish was out for a while.

You never know, this summers signings & another improved contract just might help persuade Grealish to give it one more year. See how higher they can reach.

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Well, Bailey's been awesome on FIFA for a few seasons now.

Must be pretty nailed on if the clubs Twitter admin are announcing it.

They'd probably wait for i's to be dotted & t's to be crossed in any normal scenario. But with the Grealish choice thing ongoing everywhere anyone looks right now, Leon Bailey adding to Buendia is something to focus on. El Ghazi, Trezeguet & Traore all had scoring patches, but maybe not creating too much. Very noticeable dip when Grealish was out for a while.

You never know, this summers signings & another improved contract just might help persuade Grealish to give it one more year. See how higher they can reach.

This signing is almost certainly being underwritten by the imminent sale of Grealish. It more confirms than refutes the sale. I also think it's smart business, to buy before prices are inflated due to perceived wealth. 

Also if you're Jack, 25 years old, a chance to win silverware. He turned his back on Ireland and I see no reason why he would have any particular loyalty to Villa. Its brutal but he's a professional, why wouldn't he sign for City, to not win anything? Villa on their current trajectory look good to do more in 5 years, but not now. 

22 minutes ago, Batard said:

This signing is almost certainly being underwritten by the imminent sale of Grealish. It more confirms than refutes the sale. I also think it's smart business, to buy before prices are inflated due to perceived wealth. 

Also if you're Jack, 25 years old, a chance to win silverware. He turned his back on Ireland and I see no reason why he would have any particular loyalty to Villa. Its brutal but he's a professional, why wouldn't he sign for City, to not win anything? Villa on their current trajectory look good to do more in 5 years, but not now. 

Definitely good business. If Villa have got Bailey for less than half Sancho price, it really does seem a good deal. Regardless of Grealish.

It could fit the outcome that both him & Buendia are the Grealish replacements. And he does almost need 2! And with enough to go for another top player. Just from the Grealish money.

But, the alternate is Grealish decides he's happy & staying at least 1 more year. And instead, El Ghazi goes to Mourinho's Roma. Getting 40% or so portion of the rumoured Bailey transfer fee back.

So this Bailey move could be an either or.

With any player at any club, if the player's head's been turned, it is probably best a deal is done. So it is all on what Grealish decides really. And to be fair, he is English really. It gets a bit confused when Ireland try to 'poach' anyone with Irish grandparents. He's not really Irish.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

If Grealish does stay its a pretty mental team going forwards...

Luiz - McGinn

Buendia - Grealish - Bailey

Watkins

Top eight surely the expectation.

This purchase surely is funded from Grealish going? 

2 hours ago, Dan said:

Always thought he'd end up here. Would've 100% taken him as well.

That's very odd, he doesn't fit Leicester's MO at all IMO
He's going to be reasonably expensive, as he's a purchase from a reasonably large and well funded club and he's neither an efficient player nor a big team player. More flash than substance.  

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

That's very odd, he doesn't fit Leicester's MO at all IMO
He's going to be reasonably expensive, as he's a purchase from a reasonably large and well funded club and he's neither an efficient player nor a big team player. More flash than substance.  

I think it was two things but largely based on previous circumstances. The way we got Tielemans was that he was a youngster touted to go to the top that had made a transfer that hadn't worked out for him at all, and we went in and got him back on track to do exactly this. I was feeling that Leon Bailey was another a bit like that, in that it hadn't quite worked at Leverkusen and he was stagnating a bit so would get a move maybe to here where he kicked things back off again. It looks like he's got it together somewhat anyway really so this is kind of pointless now. The other is that I think Ndidi is his best mate. We signed Soyuncu's best mate on loan last season. Just had a feeling he'd end up here.

You have a point though as I think the way it's gone for him at Leverkusen in the last season probably put him a bit out of our price range. Villa will put more money down than we will.

On 31/07/2021 at 15:57, Reluctant Striker said:

This signing is to replace Grealish, can you not see that?

7 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

This signing is to replace Grealish, can you not see that?

I did say that could be the case.. that Buendia & Bailey are replacing him? Perhaps you focused too much on the alternate El Ghazi replacement possibility?

The fact it's gone public Villa are giving him the choice does suggest to me that he may have already been persuaded. I won't be at all surprised if he's at City in the next few days.

And, yes, they will have change to replace Barkley too. Who they decided against permanently signing, for whatever reason. 

Either way Villa's owners are attempting to get the club back to Top 5. They have a specified 5 year plan to get to Champions League. I've heard or seen nothing to suggest that isn't still the intent.  Or that they specifically can now only spend Grealish money. In their 3rd Premier League summer transfer window. I do sense that could bother some.. above & below Villa. 😀

22 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I did say that could be the case.. that Buendia & Bailey are replacing him? Perhaps you focused too much on the alternate El Ghazi replacement possibility?

The fact it's gone public Villa are giving him the choice does suggest to me that he may have already been persuaded. I won't be at all surprised if he's at City in the next few days.

And, yes, they will have change to replace Barkley too. Who they decided against permanently signing, for whatever reason. 

Either way Villa's owners are attempting to get the club back to Top 5. They have a specified 5 year plan to get to Champions League. I've heard or seen nothing to suggest that isn't still the intent.  Or that they specifically can now only spend Grealish money. In their 3rd Premier League summer transfer window. I do sense that could bother some.. above & below Villa. 😀

Did you rate Barkley?

I'm genuinely curious because even as a Liverpool fan, I thought when he broke through at Everton he would definitely have a big career... if only he could develop some sort of footballing intelligence & consistency. I just think he's a very instinctive player and the more time you give him to think, the more likely he'll do the wrong thing. And imo, he's never really kicked on from when he first broke through at Everton.

He's a strange player because I think he's a decent player, I definitely wouldn't call him a bad player. But I did think he'd kick on a bit more and grow into a better player than I think he's ended up.

I just wouldn't be surprised if the reason they decided against making him a permanent signing is because the manager and scouting team believe that they could maybe find someone better for cheaper.

42 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Did you rate Barkley?

I'm genuinely curious because even as a Liverpool fan, I thought when he broke through at Everton he would definitely have a big career... if only he could develop some sort of footballing intelligence & consistency. I just think he's a very instinctive player and the more time you give him to think, the more likely he'll do the wrong thing. And imo, he's never really kicked on from when he first broke through at Everton.

He's a strange player because I think he's a decent player, I definitely wouldn't call him a bad player. But I did think he'd kick on a bit more and grow into a better player than I think he's ended up.

I just wouldn't be surprised if the reason they decided against making him a permanent signing is because the manager and scouting team believe that they could maybe find someone better for cheaper.

Barkley was certainly capable of brilliance. He's never quite reached the levels of Gerrard & Lampard, but I do think he seems a level or 2 better than Shelvey, Lallana, etc.

Just in his few cameo's for Villa, there was his late winner away at Leicester. Not too many would have took the shot he did, let alone score.

And the left foot volley cross for one of the goals away at Arsenal. Again, not too many even attempting that pass on their weaker foot.

I do think there must be a feeling that he maybe just wasn't slotting in too well with how the team play. I'm not totally sure he's one of 2 behind a number 10 CAM, or the number 10 either.

He did have a knock, but then seemed he just never got back in after. Which did seem odd. A centre back Bjorn Engels was the same & he's finally been sold to Antwerp.

Overall, yes, younger, cheaper & potential to be better in another 2-3 years time must be the thinking. And it does seem Buendia is lined up for the Number 10 role.

He had a lot of hype around him for years, kinda like Jaydon Sancho, what happened to him?

Imagine Jamaica's team if they had Sterling and Bailey, but aparently it's an amateur show with their FA. I'm sure it's a distant second in popularity with cricket though, don't just fall into players like Courntey Walsh and Chris Gayle.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Spike said:

He had a lot of hype around him for years, kinda like Jaydon Sancho, what happened to him?

Imo, the description of "fair weather footballer" fits Bailey really well. Capable of moments of genius when things are going well, but lacks consistency and the right attitude to be a player who makes a difference.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Batard said:

Will be interesting to see how they fit all these players in, El Ghazi is rumoured to be off to Roma on the cheap though. 

If they keep Grealish (which I don't think they will)

Watkins

Grealish - Buendia - Bailey

If not, can Bailey play on the left? Traore is still there and decent in that set-up. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Stan said:

If they keep Grealish (which I don't think they will)

Watkins

Grealish - Buendia - Bailey

If not, can Bailey play on the left? Traore is still there and decent in that set-up. 

"I've always said my best position is on the right-hand side," said Bailey, who was deployed on the left in all but six of his 16 Bundesliga appearances under Herrlich earlier in the campaign. "I feel really happy out on the right. And when a player feels happy, he can make a lot happen."

Interesting if Grealish does go, El Ghazi is the natural replacement on the left. 

Certainly a signing with potential to be good.

Buendia & Bailey will surely be starting sooner than later. With 1 other, very probably on the left, of the 3 supporting Watkins.

El Ghazi (right footed) & Traore (left footed) often played as inverted wingers. Though have switched around too. And if El Ghazi is retained, they may well start the opening matches. Trezeguet is out long term with injury.

Quite a few names still being mentioned as potential incoming signings, in various positions. If Grealish does leave it seems likely there will still be another few names arrive before the end of August.

Archived