talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Good, The Bad & The Flattering to Deceive - 2021/22 Edition

The Good

Chelsea - I think they are riding a bit of a crest of a wave at the moment. European Champions, Super Cup winners, lost an FA Cup Final to a wonder strike/dodgy VAR.

Either way, they will be the main challengers for the title in my eyes. They might just go and win it. The belief running through that squad right now is so high.

Tuchel has them rolling. He's got his striker because clinicality is what they lacked, and Lukaku will turn draws into wins. They keep clean sheets and the younger players are a year wiser and better.

Tuchel has the tactical nous to get the better in the big games as he's proven and assuming they also get Kounde, I can see them taking City all the way.

The Bad

Rafa Benitez/Everton - I feel bad for Benitez, the knives will be out for him before a ball's been kicked.

Honestly, Everton were absolute dour to watch last year. I don't really see enough improvement in the squad and I certainly don't see what Benitez will offer that will be any better than what Ancelotti did. He is fighting a losing battle for me.

It just feels like a potential car crash all round, not exactly started well with Sigurdsson anyway, and with the fans back in the grounds now, I can see it getting really ugly at Everton especially if they start slow.

The Not Quite Good Enough

It would be very easy to say Southampton but I think they are heavily tipped to drop already and it's a bit too obvious. 

For me, Brighton need to look over their shoulder. They are a funny team you know. Create chances but cannot take them.

16th last season and IMO, they haven't improved the squad enough to build on what they have. If Danny Welbeck is in your ranks as a striker, I think that says a lot as to why you don't score enough goals.

I think they are kinda doing a Stoke. Now entering their fifth consecutive season up here, it feels like they are going stale like Bournemouth did. The novelty of Brighton has well and truly worn off.

I think they are going to be neck and neck with Southampton for the the third relegation place (Norwich and Watford will go)

The Surprise Package

Brentford - Genuinely think they'll be ok. I can see them surviving comfortably in the end.

It helps they have a goalscorer, albeit unproven at this level, but they have solid defensive options and some players I'd expect to excel at this level like Henry and Mbuemo. The keeper is suspect for me as he is prone to clangers but that shouldn't deter from everything else.

In addition, it's the smallest ground in the League too, so the sell out atmosphere should make them very tough to beat at home. I think they'll really relish this.

The Youngster on everyone's lips

Mason Greenwood - He had a very tough year last season. Lots of issues going on behind the scenes, the mishap in Iceland, loss of confidence, it all seemed like the season was getting away from him till the last few weeks or so when he sparked into life again.

I think missing the Euro's will benefit him and the fact Rashford is out for a while gives him the chance to really impress from the off.

I really expect him to bounce back well this season.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I normally wait a month before predicting.

Get Chelsea right most seasons, did last year too.

@Lucas Good point about Chelsea riding a crest of a wave, the first loss will test that though have to say I am impressed by Tuchel.

Good points about Benitez, it turned toxic at Chelsea due to some comments he made while at Liverpool about Chelsea so him going to  Everton will be tricky, he needs a decent start. To be fair to him I like the football we played under him at Chelsea for that one season. We had decent players at Chelsea not sure Everton have enough to keep the boo boys at bay.

Agree that Brentfood will have plenty of fight and that might sustain them this season.

• Subscriber

Still can't post at length here but I'll cut it right down as I did a quite long post...

The good

Leeds - Finished very well last season and actually finally have that home crowd behind them which is going to count for something I think. It won't be somewhere people relish travelling to.

Brentford - Have a feeling they're going to take to the league with relative ease and survive comfortably. Made a couple of decent additions as well.

The bad

Patrick Vieira - Feel like he's going to be tasked with getting a side that infequently comes out of its shell to do exactly this, whilst not necessarily having the players for it. They have a terrible start as well fixture wise. Can see him being the first casualty, however, they survive.

West Ham - Haven't really got the depth to cope with a decent league season as well as a European campaign, have done very little to add to it. Largely helped late on last season by the form of Lingard who is no longer there. I think they'll regress to upper bottom half.

Norwich City - I'm not convinced they're any better than they were last time, although last time it did baffle me quite how badly they actually did. Still though, Buendia gone, it's going to be tough for them.

Southampton - Losing key players again and not taking in much money in the process. They fell off a cliff last season and I can see it carrying on into this.

Burnley - Think they could well get relegated too. They finished 17th last season and just continuously fail to sign players.

The not quite good enough

Virgil van Dijk - I can just see him not being quite the player he was pre-injury which is a shame, as he was probably as good a defender as I've seen from 2018-2020. There's a belief that Liverpool will come back stronger but I worry that they're in need of a bit of a shot in the arm and they haven't really had it.

Manchester United - There's title talk around them and for me, there should be. 2nd last season and two genuinely exciting additions. Problem is I think their manager is too limited and it's going to prevent them doing any more than last season. They'll make the top 4, but I think that'll be it, and they really can do better.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 12/08/2021 at 21:42, Lucas said:

The Youngster on everyone's lips

Mason Greenwood - He had a very tough year last season. Lots of issues going on behind the scenes, the mishap in Iceland, loss of confidence, it all seemed like the season was getting away from him till the last few weeks or so when he sparked into life again.

I think missing the Euro's will benefit him and the fact Rashford is out for a while gives him the chance to really impress from the off.

I really expect him to bounce back well this season.

xD

• Subscriber
On 13/08/2021 at 17:19, Dan said:

Still can't post at length here but I'll cut it right down as I did a quite long post...

The good

Leeds - Finished very well last season and actually finally have that home crowd behind them which is going to count for something I think. It won't be somewhere people relish travelling to.

Brentford - Have a feeling they're going to take to the league with relative ease and survive comfortably. Made a couple of decent additions as well.

The bad

Patrick Vieira - Feel like he's going to be tasked with getting a side that infequently comes out of its shell to do exactly this, whilst not necessarily having the players for it. They have a terrible start as well fixture wise. Can see him being the first casualty, however, they survive.

West Ham - Haven't really got the depth to cope with a decent league season as well as a European campaign, have done very little to add to it. Largely helped late on last season by the form of Lingard who is no longer there. I think they'll regress to upper bottom half.

Norwich City - I'm not convinced they're any better than they were last time, although last time it did baffle me quite how badly they actually did. Still though, Buendia gone, it's going to be tough for them.

Southampton - Losing key players again and not taking in much money in the process. They fell off a cliff last season and I can see it carrying on into this.

Burnley - Think they could well get relegated too. They finished 17th last season and just continuously fail to sign players.

The not quite good enough

Virgil van Dijk - I can just see him not being quite the player he was pre-injury which is a shame, as he was probably as good a defender as I've seen from 2018-2020. There's a belief that Liverpool will come back stronger but I worry that they're in need of a bit of a shot in the arm and they haven't really had it.

Manchester United - There's title talk around them and for me, there should be. 2nd last season and two genuinely exciting additions. Problem is I think their manager is too limited and it's going to prevent them doing any more than last season. They'll make the top 4, but I think that'll be it, and they really can do better.

Mine pretty mixed. Both of my 'good' predictions turned out terrible and once again fallen for the newly promoted side who did well last season. I don't know, I guess with Brentford actually survival of any form is a good effort and you'd probably back them to do it now.

Right about Norwich. They're going down again. Burnley I think I'm not far off. Southampton wrong. Vieira wrong really as they're competitive. West Ham wrong although still think they could drop off yet. Van Dijk wrong. Man Utd right and if anything I overrated them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/08/2021 at 08:46, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Last season I said united would be better than people expected
That Salah would have a regressed season
That Werner was dogshit. 

Now, get your pens out cunts because god has appeared before you with another offering. Bow. 

The good. 
Jaydon Sancho
When a big name comes across from the land of the Frankfurter it is my responsibility to forewarn and forearm the people of the rainy island. 
Sancho is the real deal. I know you've seen him with England, but him linking up with Fernandez, Pogba and Cavanni is going to be a treat. Only an injury will stop him from impressing. 

The bad. 
Harry Kane. (if he stays at spurs) 
History is a series of events which conspire to shape the future. History is cruel, and can shape a crueler future. 
If Harry Kane moves to city you can feel him being top scorer. 25+ goals, a hatful of assists and a trophy or 3.
If he stays at spurs he gets sad, gets injured, gets 12 goals the season, gets the manager sacked. 

The not quite good enough. 
Arsenal are an easy pick here, but I'll go you one better. Ben White. 

1. I was wrong about 1 thing. It wasn't just injury that could stop Sancho. The arrival of Ronaldo, completely changing how united set up and played, which fucked everything right up. No longer were they the sweeping counter attack team of the league. Their pressing up front got worse, Greenwood fucked his whole life up and his team up and Sancho has only shown fragments of how good he can be. 

Kane literally has 12 goals right now. He got his manager sacked. Just needs to pick up an injury. 

Ben White has been better than I expected, but I'd still say doesn't fit the price tag by a long shot. 

3 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

1. I was wrong about 1 thing. It wasn't just injury that could stop Sancho. The arrival of Ronaldo, completely changing how united set up and played, which fucked everything right up. No longer were they the sweeping counter attack team of the league. Their pressing up front got worse, Greenwood fucked his whole life up and his team up and Sancho has only shown fragments of how good he can be. 

Kane literally has 12 goals right now. He got his manager sacked. Just needs to pick up an injury. 

Ben White has been better than I expected, but I'd still say doesn't fit the price tag by a long shot. 

You was wrong about Salah too.

2 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

You was wrong about Salah too.

That was the season before you nonce, and that discussion was already had. My argument wasn't necessarily that he'd be woeful, it was that he wouldn't be as good. And he wasn't. He was really good, then when you had your injury struggles and collected fuck all pts and drew games all the time, he spent most of his time sitting on his arse waving his arms about yelling at team mates. Then he played well again just in time to still not come close to winning the league. 

Salah the season before didn't score the same number of goals, but was more consistent. When Liverpool wobbled Salah wasn't exactly a beacon of stability. He mostly just refused to re sign and refused to pass the ball a lot. Then when it was all hunky dory again he played out of his skin again. 

10 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Salah the season before didn't score the same number of goals, but was more consistent. When Liverpool wobbled Salah wasn't exactly a beacon of stability. He mostly just refused to re sign and refused to pass the ball a lot. Then when it was all hunky dory again he played out of his skin again. 

So we're talking about a six to eight week period in a nine month season. And the issue wasn't a Mo Salah one. It was a Liverpool completely disjointed issue because of the centre back situation. 

I don't think you get to claim that one as a victory given he had his second highest scoring season for Liverpool to date.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived