talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

How much should you care about your rivals?

football forum

football forum

As the title states. Should an Evertonian care about where Liverpool finish in the table? Should a Manchester City fan actively support whoever is against Manchester United? Should a Tottenham fan care about finishing above Arsenal? 

How much should you care about your rival team? 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if I should care, but I do.

I'm well aware that AC finished above Inter this year. I actively cheered for RM in the CL Final because I just couldn't fathom going for the zebras. With AC and Juve play, I typically hope that the winner is whichever team that is lower in the table. This is not just a soccer thing though...

In College (American) Football, my university, Alabama, has two huge rivals (Tennessee, Auburn), and I actively cheer for their opponents each week.

I'm a huge neutral, and it really depends on the situation.

As I stated before in terms of Napoli, I cheered on Juve in the UCL final. I'm not from Naples and I like Serie A, I also don't see Juventus as a rival unless its domestically so I couldn't really care if they won or not. In the league, I'd like them to do poorly. In Europe, I would like them to win once Napoli goes out, and the same goes for the other Serie A teams.

In Peru, I may keep it on a low but I don't like Alianza Lima. If they have a team consisting of the next generation of Peruvian players, then I don't mind them doing well continentally for the sake of the national team. Domestically, I rather them not win the league though. They've gone more than 10 years without winning the league and I hope it reaches 15. Continentally though, I will be patriotic though and forget the clubs differences. The only exception will be in the final though. Its a weird case of wanting them to do well continentally but also not wanting them to win the whole thing. Its a controversial opinion, but that's what I think.

The only rival I'm not neutral for is the Chilean national team. I want them to lose in everything.

Mainly i look at our results, but i do find it funny when some of the rivals lose. Can't say i lose any sleep because of it to be honest. The problem is when you start caring more that your rival losses than that your own team wins.

I'm not bothered about them really. Some of that will probably be down to the fact that we haven't played Millwall on a regular basis for ages. I can see how for some Spurs have replaced Millwall as our rivals but not for me. Over the last few seasons I've actually enjoyed watching Spurs, and other than the Bolyen, White Hart Lane has been my favourite ground in the Prem.

As @True Blue stated though, I know people that seem to get more enjoyment out of seeing whoever they deem to be their rival lose than their own team winning. I don't get them.

For me, whoever we are playing next is our rival. I just want West Ham to beat them.

Archived