talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Notre Dame Incident

football forum

• Administrator

Police officer reportedly attacked by a man with a hammer.

Officer has then shot man and injured him.

not clear who the man is but situation seems to be contained. Public 'urged' to stay away. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't surprise me either, but Europe has become the subject of terrorism and this is a serious issue that should be covered worldwide, as opposed to America's gun problems which should only be covered domestically.

2 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

It doesn't surprise me either, but Europe has become the subject of terrorism and this is a serious issue that should be covered worldwide, as opposed to America's gun problems which should only be covered domestically.

Why is that?

Just now, Toony said:

Why is that?

Shootings are just random people who easily got ahold of a gun in the USA and decide to kill a bunch of people. The terrorism in Europe is a problem that can easily spread. 

I normally wouldn't say things like this, but when shootings have become so common in the USA, you may as well also cover killings in Burundi. Its their problem and it gets tiring to hear about only them and actually get the attention they crave. Venezuela is in a much worse situation and they get no attention from other continents. Since guns are so easily obtained by people there, I see it as a domestic problem.

4 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Shootings are just random people who easily got ahold of a gun in the USA and decide to kill a bunch of people. The terrorism in Europe is a problem that can easily spread. 

I normally wouldn't say things like this, but when shootings have become so common in the USA, you may as well also cover killings in Burundi. Its their problem and it gets tiring to hear about only them and actually get the attention they crave. Venezuela is in a much worse situation and they get no attention from other continents. Since guns are so easily obtained by people there, I see it as a domestic problem.

That is complete and utter nonsense.

You say 'shootings are just random people' as if it's nothing. People going around shooting innocent people, whether a terrorist or not, is big news and should be reported worldwide in my opinion.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Why are we assuming it's ISIS? Could just be some random loon. 

Given the current climate and prominent location I think an IS inspired loon is likely.

Attributing all these attacks to the actual operatives of Islamic State is overstating their capability though, these pricks can never name any of their supposed 'soldiers'.

Just now, Toony said:

That is complete and utter nonsense.

You say 'shootings are just random people' as if it's nothing. People going around shooting innocent people, whether a terrorist or not, is big news and should be reported worldwide in my opinion.

So why aren't we getting news of shootings in Venezuela? 

I agree that shooting innocent people should be covered, but it happens every single day in the USA, you can't say "this is a normal occurence in Venezuela, not the USA" fairly anymore.

2 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I agree that shooting innocent people should be covered, but it happens every single day in the USA, you can't say "this is a normal occurence in Venezuela, not the USA" fairly anymore.

I don't know the answer to your question, but just because some are covered and some aren't doesn't mean we shouldn't hear about any of them. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

interesting point of view.

one that I don't agree with, mind. Gun control is ridiculous in US. It should not be so easy to get a hold of a gun, especially when there have been so many incidents i.e. Sandy Hook or that nutter who shot up in a cinema. 

Then there's also the shootings of innocent black people by the police (literally unarmed people being shot down as they hold their hands up causing no conceivable threat).

The reason it's such a big issue is because of the amount of innocent lives at risk and guns getting in to the hands of the wrong people. I don't know about situation in Venezuela or South America is a whole but presume a lot of gun crime is down to gang warfare? That's a large presumption so apologies if wrong. 

'it's their problem...get the attention they crave'. bit of a crass statement, that. The attention they get is warranted in my opinion because of the huge risk posed by anyone and everyone being able to have a gun. 

13 minutes ago, Stan said:

interesting point of view.

one that I don't agree with, mind. Gun control is ridiculous in US. It should not be so easy to get a hold of a gun, especially when there have been so many incidents i.e. Sandy Hook or that nutter who shot up in a cinema. 

Then there's also the shootings of innocent black people by the police (literally unarmed people being shot down as they hold their hands up causing no conceivable threat).

The reason it's such a big issue is because of the amount of innocent lives at risk and guns getting in to the hands of the wrong people. I don't know about situation in Venezuela or South America is a whole but presume a lot of gun crime is down to gang warfare? That's a large presumption so apologies if wrong. 

'it's their problem...get the attention they crave'. bit of a crass statement, that. The attention they get is warranted in my opinion because of the huge risk posed by anyone and everyone being able to have a gun. 

I'll just admit here and now that I'm not an expert on politics, and yes I am aware of how out of order gun control is in the USA. However, why does this have to be a world issue and not a domestic or at most a continental issue? 

I'll give you that if this happened once or twice in 5 months, I wouldn't be here complaining about it, but its become a daily occurance and its unfair to cover that much more over Venezuela. USA is the center of the media world to the point where they get everything covered as if they are the only country that exists.

Venezuela was one of if not the top South American country before Hugo Chavez stepped in. Now they have killings every day and have very few natural resources like sugar, paper and dairy. Yet, the killings and protests there are completely ignored while USA gets all the spotlight for what should be a domestic issue as it won't spread worldwide in my eyes, as compared to ISIS which I can see getting spread if something isn't done.

And by that statement, I mean everything else. People pay more attention to American elections, care about their sports more than their own traditional sports. I feel like the whole world is based around that and its one of the reasons I'm glad I live in a third world country. That's how Canadian culture was killed.

To end the above post with a question, should I here in Peru feel more in danger by an American with a gun thousands of miles away more than someone who wants to rob me at gunpoint in the country itself?

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Given the current climate and prominent location I think an IS inspired loon is likely.

Attributing all these attacks to the actual operatives of Islamic State is overstating their capability though, these pricks can never name any of their supposed 'soldiers'.

Yep this just IS inspired 

59 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Isn't this the 4th or 5th time that someone in Paris has gone straight for a copper.

There's got to be an additional back story to why they are the target

Latest from IS has been to target police. I actually agree about shutting down IS content online, but nowhere near enough from May she's pissing in the wind if she thinks closing a few websites is enough. 

Churches seem in, this nut disrupted a wedding in Spain yesterday to tell them there was no god but Allah. 

2 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Yep this just IS inspired 

Latest from IS has been to target police. I actually agree about shutting down IS content online, but nowhere near enough from May she's pissing in the wind if she thinks closing a few websites is enough. 

I think it's not just shutting down IS websites... Twitter is huge for them (and huge for extremists generally, I'd say) to get their propaganda out and they have fucking PR teams and social media managers. Either Twitter needs to clamp down on that shit (and maybe report IP addresses of these terror supporters to governments around Europe, so they can be justifiably monitored)... or our governments need to be vigilant in collecting information from the social media accounts of these people who can justifiably suspect of being either active members of IS or radicals that hope to join IS. Twitter and WhatsApp... and weirdly the PlayStation Network... are supposed to be very important to the IS planning and coordinating infrastructure. Monitoring, disrupting, and maybe even some infiltration of these networks could go a long way to fucking them up.

I'll tell you what... and I feel a little fucked up saying it... but it's true. I feel a lot better about them going after police or military targets than going after civilians. Police (and most definitely military) have a much better chance of defending themselves against these attackers (although that obviously wouldn't be the case if they're wired up to explosives). When you compare that to the barbarism we saw in Manchester, with the targeting of children, it's much more palatable. Not that it's palatable having police attacked by terrorist scum, but it's obviously much more preferable to the cunts blowing up small girls.

2 hours ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Because we latin americans  love to kill each other every single day and it´s not news to anyone. Unfortunately, it´s normal and that does not make news. Baltimore and Chicago shootings do not receive the same attention of european terrorist attacks as well.

More brazilians were murdered than syrians died since the beginning of the civil war. Last year, there 59.000 murders in Brazil. 

There´s also the fact that England, France are economically and culturally much more influent than Brazil, Venezuela, El Salvador or Honduras. 

Another reason why terrorist attacks generate more curiosity is that they have a political background and that obviously leads to more discussion. 

My point is, we latin americans definitely are more threatened by urban violence, but I totally understand the interest in what is going in Europe. And why should europeans care about our problems, since they have a ton of their own problems?

2 hours ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I'll just admit here and now that I'm not an expert on politics, and yes I am aware of how out of order gun control is in the USA. However, why does this have to be a world issue and not a domestic or at most a continental issue? 

I'll give you that if this happened once or twice in 5 months, I wouldn't be here complaining about it, but its become a daily occurance and its unfair to cover that much more over Venezuela. USA is the center of the media world to the point where they get everything covered as if they are the only country that exists.

Venezuela was one of if not the top South American country before Hugo Chavez stepped in. Now they have killings every day and have very few natural resources like sugar, paper and dairy. Yet, the killings and protests there are completely ignored while USA gets all the spotlight for what should be a domestic issue as it won't spread worldwide in my eyes, as compared to ISIS which I can see getting spread if something isn't done.

And by that statement, I mean everything else. People pay more attention to American elections, care about their sports more than their own traditional sports. I feel like the whole world is based around that and its one of the reasons I'm glad I live in a third world country. That's how Canadian culture was killed.

Venezuela was at a time a prosperous south american country (thanks in big part to oil) before Chávez (particularly in the 1960s and 1970s). But it was not all sunny and well in the land of Venezuela when Chávez got to power (he got there for a reason), as the country was in crisis during the 1990s.

The economy did not fare particularly bad, but rather good ("macroeconomics") during most of the rule of Chávez (thanks, again, in big part to oil). And interestingly, although it remained a violent society, inequality decreased.

You don't need to take on the whole Chávez-Maduro rule to justify how crap, authocratic, inefficient and violent of a country Venezuela is these days.

1 hour ago, El_Loco said:

Because we latin americans  love to kill each other every single day and it´s not news to anyone. Unfortunately, it´s normal and that does not make news. Baltimore and Chicago shootings do not receive the same attention of european terrorist attacks as well.

More brazilians were murdered than syrians died since the beginning of the civil war. Last year, there 59.000 murders in Brazil. 

There´s also the fact that England, France are economically and culturally much more influent than Brazil, Venezuela, El Salvador or Honduras. 

Another reason why terrorist attacks generate more curiosity is that they have a political background and that obviously leads to more discussion. 

My point is, we latin americans definitely are more threatened by urban violence, but I totally understand the interest in what is going in Europe. And why should europeans care about our problems, since they have a ton of their own problems?

I was talking about American gun violence rather than terrorism in Europe mate, but I'll drop it because I don't want it to get further controversial.

Latest IS attack is in Tehran, Iran. Which is probably a bit confusing for our more biggoted posters here.

I'm no fan of Iran's government, but when you have the US, Israel, and Saudi Arabia calling them the biggest state sponsors of terror... when in fact Saudi Arabia are the biggest sponsors of terror (if not the US & UK for selling the Saudi's weapons...) and backers of the Wahhabist views that drive IS... it's a bit of a laughable solution.

We want the oil so we cozy up to people who back worldwide terror. Sad.

The Western view of Iran is the same as with Cuba, they don't dislike these countries because of their views but it's because they've actively resisted and beaten off American influence and attempts to control them. The situation in Iran was especially farcical, when they elected a democratic government many years ago the CIA actively orchestrated a coup which overthrew this governemnt because they wanted to nationalise the oil (imagine the people of a place wanting to reap most benefit from their resources). Iran is the most palatable nation in the Middle East, the one with the richest culutural traditions and has contributed greatly to world history, Saudi Arabia by comparison is a literal desert both georgrpahically but also culturally.

Archived