talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man Utd 5-1 Leeds - Saturday 14th August, 2021

football forum

Just now, LFCMike said:

Let's hope that the offside calls continue like they did in this match. The Fernandes one from the ball over the top looked like it could have been borderline, even with the relaxation on tight decisions. There was no delay after that goal and personally I want to see goals given where it appears a player is just about level

Behave. It was United. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's certainly been painful seeing goals overturned because Player A's kneecap was a few sheets of paper ahead of the defender. And interfering with play. So a goal he was otherwise a spectator of doesn't count.

Fixing a problem nobody was ever really up in arms about.

It was surely meant more for Frank Lampard crossbar, Geoff Hurst crossbar, hungry Suarez & it hit him on the knee not his face type stuff.

Big result for Man Utd, Pogba and Fernandes played like men possessed. It did help that Leeds were playing such an open game with terrible defending, but United still yet to see Cavani, Rashford and Sancho start.

34 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

It's certainly been painful seeing goals overturned because Player A's kneecap was a few sheets of paper ahead of the defender. And interfering with play. So a goal he was otherwise a spectator of doesn't count.

Fixing a problem nobody was ever really up in arms about.

It was surely meant more for Frank Lampard crossbar, Geoff Hurst crossbar, hungry Suarez & it hit him on the knee not his face type stuff.

Doesn’t goal line tech cover the crossbar incidents?

I think VAR was for goals incorrectly being ruled out as offside getting a second look of eyes initially. But then the officials decided to go mental with it xD

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Doesn’t goal line tech cover the crossbar incidents?

I think VAR was for goals incorrectly being ruled out as offside getting a second look of eyes initially. But then the officials decided to go mental with it xD

I have heard rumour of this goal line technology.

The only time I noticed it was that Orjan Nyland moment for Villa vs Sheffield United.

VAR has had it's own plot to follow as much any club. Which definitely isn't right. Hope it does feel less of a topic of it's own this time round.

And to think when Ayling equalised, I thought we could go on and nick it. But to collapse with 3 goals in 8 minutes was quite frankly disgusting, embarrassing and pathetic.

Credit to them, the finishing was clinical but the space we gave them was criminal. Good players will hurt you if you switch off.

Just to emphasise this, Kalvin Phillips marked Bruno out the game at Elland Road, didn't have a sniff. Today, a centre back played defensive midfield and allowed Bruno all the time in the world.

It wasn't just him though. As a collective we lost our heads and I think as soon as Greenwood scores for 2-1, Old Trafford erupts, the fans give them a huge lift and their tails shoot up.

We needed a period of 10mins after we equalised to keep our heads and frustrate them, and instead we lost the game in that period.

I don't mind losing but not in that manner. This will sting, not only because it's them, but it's the first game and you never want to start like that. I also think at 1-1, the game was finely balanced for us to go on and get something and we threw it away.

Cannot single out anyone for praise and I anticipate a very hard week on the training pitch for the lads before Everton next Saturday.

It's only day one but that was a big statement.

When you consider we have Sancho, Rashford, Martial, Cavani, Van De Beek and Varane to come into the side we're looking strong.

Ole also said there maybe one more.

• The title was changed to Man Utd 5-1 Leeds - Saturday 14th August, 2021
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, Devil said:

When you consider we have Sancho, Rashford, Martial, Cavani, Van De Beek and Varane to come into the side we're looking strong.

Would Van De Beek get in to the side?

Thought Martial was being sold...

22 minutes ago, Stan said:

Would Van De Beek get in to the side?

Thought Martial was being sold...

I mean as a rotation option, he's been working on his strength over the summer so I'd be hoping he'd be a more viable squad option this season.

Martial is in the last chance Saloon this season but I expect him to remain until next summer at least.

He's the one I'm most interested in seeing link up with Sancho, I actually think he will have a better season than last.

3 hours ago, Devil said:

You scored more against Leeds last season. Is the statement that without those players you're not as good? :ph34r:

12 hours ago, The Premier Steve's said:

You scored more against Leeds last season. Is the statement that without those players you're not as good? :ph34r:

It was a good performance for the first game of the season.

It was a statement of intent and we can only get better as we have new and key players to return.

Cavani, Varane, Sancho and Rashford.

Add that to the team and I see us in a good position.

Statement performance.

• The topic was unpinned
  • Administrator

Just watching MOTD and Man Utd looked very slick. Far too pacey and organised for Leeds. I'm guessing a lot of that is down to Leeds not having Phillips playing but also credit due to Pogba and Fernandes for exploiting it and taking advantage. Fernandes 3rd was a great strike. 

Bet Leeds must have thought the game was there for the taking when Ayling smashed in. 

• Subscriber

Tried to watch the match on BT but we had visitors (family) so that viewing went out the window and on came the kiddies shows compliments of the grandsons.

Managed to watch it on MOTD I recorded last night a few minutes ago, early days yet and Oli is driving on 4 wheels atm, will have to wait as the season goes on and see if he loses any wheels, I dread the thought of Bruno getting injured long time, my mind shudders. 

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Tried to watch the match on BT but we had visitors (family) so that viewing went out the window and on came the kiddies shows compliments of the grandsons.

Managed to watch it on MOTD I recorded last night a few minutes ago, early days yet and Oli is driving on 4 wheels atm, will have to wait as the season goes on and see if he loses any wheels, I dread the thought of Bruno getting injured long time, my mind shudders. 

After Leicester and Liverpool suffered bad seasons with injures, I think it is the Manchester clubs or Chelsea to suffer... 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

I'd be more worried about Pogba getting upset than Bruno getting injured. One has a history of recurrence the other doesn't.

I am convinced that both Guardiola and Biesla are ‘too smart to succeed’ at times. They overthink and get a ridiculous tactical plan that would win every game 5-0 in a simulation but their neanderthal players can’t understand it and the coaches are too inept at dumbing it down for them.

Archived