• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other PL Round 1 Matches - Saturday 14th August, 2021

football forum

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Lucas said:

Read a few comments across various media on Villa. Poor start like ourselves. Ultimately, they should be fine. We'll be ok too.

Performances aside, personally, I think something we all have to accept is that this first weekend has been perfectly set up for anyone playing home. It was a tough start to play away really.

Bare in mind we're talking a year and half since packed crowds at Premier League games, there is no wonder home sides got an extra lift from that today. To go from empty stadiums to full houses backing you and fans really giving it that bit extra because they have missed it, I am not surprised there were so many home wins today, the home sides would have got a great buzz off of it.

And I think its something to keep an eye on tomorrow and next week too. Everyone that played away will get their first home game next week which will give them a lift. I'd love to think we certainly will.

If this is true and the "home crowd" effect is going to be a bit bigger this season... then either Norwich are dogshit (although, I think they were very decent in the first half - but in the second half they had no chance) ... or we're the best team in England.

Klopp and a lot of the players though talked about how they have to "get used to fans being back" - I imagine that's true for all clubs for all crowds, home and away.

26 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If this is true and the "home crowd" effect is going to be a bit bigger this season... then either Norwich are dogshit (although, I think they were very decent in the first half - but in the second half they had no chance) ... or we're the best team in England.

Klopp and a lot of the players though talked about how they have to "get used to fans being back" - I imagine that's true for all clubs for all crowds, home and away.

I think the first one or two home games it will have a bearing for sure, definitely.

Calvert-Lewin said yesterday it felt like he was making his second debut. If the players are getting that much of a lift off the crowds being back, home games are going to be tougher, especially at the more partizan places.

I think in Norwich's case, the gulf in class was just too much and there was no belief they could win. Watford and Brentford had winnable games even though they started as underdogs and i think plating home helped both achieve those wins.

I bet you'll notice it next week at Anfield, there will be that extra zip in your play you had before you didn't have last year.

Just now, Lucas said:

I think the first one or two home games it will have a bearing for sure, definitely.

Calvert-Lewin said yesterday it felt like he was making his second debut. If the players are getting that much of a lift off the crowds being back, home games are going to be tougher, especially at the more partizan places.

I think in Norwich's case, the gulf in class was just too much and there was no belief they could win. Watford and Brentford had winnable games even though they started as underdogs and i think plating home helped both achieve those wins.

I bet you'll notice it next week at Anfield, there will be that extra zip in your play you had before you didn't have last year.

Tbh, I think not having fans made a serious impact on us. You could see it while the tiny capacity was back, especially with Firmino, he was so happy to be playing in front of fans… then they went away and his game became a bit more lethargic (and it could be that he was just tired, he was probably one of our most “overplayed” players last season) - but he has said he hates playing in the empty stadiums.

I think our club, maybe more than others, knows the value of fans and atmosphere, and I don’t think we go on the literal worst run of form in our history despite being the defending champions last season if the fans were in the stands. So I’m not saying you’re wrong. I think I agree with you about 90%.

I think that other 10% is just it’s been about a year with fans back, not all players were at the Euros. A lot of players are just going to have to get used to what playing football in front of people is like. And it’s probably going to be a bit noisier than normal because people have been cooped up in their homes for a year wanting to do things like go watch their football club play.

And I think home and away, that’s gonna be a bit of an adjustment for a lot of players.

• Subscriber

7 home wins from 10 opening weekend games, and none of the 3 away wins were a big surprise either.

Dunno how many agree but I really do think in future years 2020/21 won't be taken as a serious season at all.

12 minutes ago, Dan said:

7 home wins from 10 opening weekend games, and none of the 3 away wins were a big surprise either.

Dunno how many agree but I really do think in future years 2020/21 won't be taken as a serious season at all.

I don't know, it was the same for all sides. The question mark perhaps is over whether it should or should not have been going on at all. The debate in the immediate years ahead could be whether there should have been a war years style gap.

The home advantage effect was wiped. And there were numerous freak results. Where teams arguably were not reacting in the ways they would usually do. But some portion of that is on the managers.

The minds of various managers & players from various nations would have been a mixture. Psychologically my head was still reeling when football came back. And quite honestly, I wasn't especially ready to be 'entertained' by it when it did either.

• Subscriber
59 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I don't know, it was the same for all sides. The question mark perhaps is over whether it should or should not have been going on at all. The debate in the immediate years ahead could be whether there should have been a war years style gap.

The home advantage effect was wiped. And there were numerous freak results. Where teams arguably were not reacting in the ways they would usually do. But some portion of that is on the managers.

The minds of various managers & players from various nations would have been a mixture. Psychologically my head was still reeling when football came back. And quite honestly, I wasn't especially ready to be 'entertained' by it when it did either.

It was the same for all sides but playing it without fans just totally changes the spectacle. The fake crowd noise was bad but I couldn't watch without it. It felt like every game was a friendly.

I was genuinely falling out of love with football when it was in that state. The only thing that kept me watching it was knowing it would come back and that there was a desire for that to be the case. If I was told it'd be like that forever I think I'd just gradually give it all up.

I actually agree with your first point - but it's become quite a big business nowadays, they were always going to find a way even if what was being served up was pretty abject stuff.

Feel almost refreshed if anything after yesterday. This weekend was probably the most normal feeling weekend since March 2020.

Archived