talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man Utd Agree £75m Fee For Lukaku

Everton's Romelu Lukaku has decided where he wants to play next season.

The 24-year-old striker, who scored 25 Premier League goals last season, turned down the most lucrative contract offer in Everton's history in March.

"I don't want to stay at the same level. I want to improve and I know where I want to do that," Belgian Lukaku said on Monday.

Former club Chelsea, who he originally signed for in 2011, remain favourites to complete a deal for Lukaku.

The Premier League champions, Manchester United and Bayern Munich have been linked with a move for Lukaku, who has been at Everton since 2013.

"We are now talking to the club. I know what's happening, but I will leave the talks to my agent," he added to journalists after Belgium beat the Czech Republic in a friendly in Brussels.

"I know what's happening, but I can't tell you anything more.

"What I would like most is to play in the Champions League and try to win the Premier League once. Or better - a few times."

Lukaku is represented by Mino Raiola, the agent who helped negotiate Paul Pogba's £89m move to Manchester United last summer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40170131

I gather a couple have mentioned this in the transfer rumour thread, but this looks like it is thread worthy in its own right

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He absolutely loves media attention.

Big blow for Everton if both Lukaku and Barkley leave but I'm sure they'll return enough funds to give them a decent chance of getting quality replacements.

He said the same stuff last summer until our new Russian board member told him and his agent bluntly he wasn't going anywhere that window. 

This year it will happen though and we all knew it when he was meant to sign a contract but changed his mind that morning. 

Got no bad feelings towards him. The talking when he's away with Belgium isn't great to hear but he's just being honest. Our record PL scorer, progressed very well from the raw kid when on loan and shown to be a good value signing. He has ambitions that unfortunately we cannot provide him at the moment. 

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

My one critisism of Romelu is that he goes missing in big games. That won't go down well with Conte when there is a title on the line.

with no disrespect to Everton, if Lukaku is going Chelsea he'll have far better quality around him, so perhaps this'll mean he'll go missing fewer times.

17 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Not a dig at you (and I can't be arsed going into details yet again) but it wouldn't be as big a blow as you think. Barkley has had one good season and can go for me, Lukaku has been phenomenal but I'm happy to see him taking the next step in his career. Its not as if we're getting mugged off either as the money we get will pay for a replacement.

Fair enough, you watch Everton a lot more than I do.

From the outside looking in though they are the two household names. I've made it quite clear on here before that I don't like Barkley and he would be easily replaced, but Lukaku will be a bit tougher. He's guaranteed goals in the Premier League, there's not many strikers out there who you can say that about.

6 minutes ago, Toony said:

Fair enough, you watch Everton a lot more than I do.

From the outside looking in though they are the two household names. I've made it quite clear on here before that I don't like Barkley and he would be easily replaced, but Lukaku will be a bit tougher. He's guaranteed goals in the Premier League, there's not many strikers out there who you can say that about.

Exactly this! 25 goals a season strikers are like gold dust. If there's any available then they are almost always hoovered up by the big boys. Without Champions League football to offer and with a pretty underwhelming squad, Everton will find it incredibly difficult to replace Lukaku. 

I know because we've faced the same dilemma more than once in our recent past. Only now are we assembling a squad that might be attractive to some big players. 

• Subscriber

I'm a long way past the point of being arsed about him leaving. Now is the right time for it to happen. Good luck to him.

My mindset now is hoping we get a good deal done and don't waste all summer arsing about so that we can reinvest in our own exciting future. 

23 minutes ago, Spike said:

I really don't wamt him at Chelsea

He has a partner up top I'd be all for it. 

Depends really on the Costa situation as well as if the other 100 million transfer rumors turn out

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

He has a partner up top I'd be all for it. 

Depends really on the Costa situation as well as if the other 100 million transfer rumors turn out

You don't half change your mind in a jiffy xD

Since the rumours of Lukaku to Chelsea started you were like "Don't want him", "don't need him", shite all round game" etc...

Now it looks like happening you are "all for it" xD

10 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

You don't half change your mind in a jiffy xD

Since the rumours of Lukaku to Chelsea started you were like "Don't want him", "don't need him", shite all round game" etc...

Now it looks like happening you are "all for it" xD

Who's available? Aubameyang is PSG bound, and Lacazette is keen on wanting to join Atletico? Torino want a ridiculous amount for Belotti. 

Replacing Lukaku with Costa would be a sideways transfer, however the former would actually want to be here (as I've stated before) and doesn't have an unpredictable behavior that can cause the club trouble. 

Circumstances change. 

I back everything I've said, but with Costa's situation and the lack of available options that can be an upgrade on him, we have our hands tied. Lukaku has a poor all around game, and to be a ST in our system, it requires our strikers to offer more than just goals. That is why if we were to get him, i'd like us to have him play up top with another striker, that way instead of asking too much of him of being the only outlet, there is another that we can work with. . 

5 hours ago, Stan said:

with no disrespect to Everton, if Lukaku is going Chelsea he'll have far better quality around him, so perhaps this'll mean he'll go missing fewer times.

Could be a mentality thing though.

Robbie Keane had shitloads of chances up front for us. But he fluffed and miskicked so many of them, and it's not as though he was a shit player. He seemed to lose all composure while playing up top for us, and that seems to be a mental thing. Maybe Lukaku has a bunch of nerves playing in the big games? Or maybe it is just that he's getting worse service and playing against better players.

Suppose we'll find out if Lukaku goes to Chelsea.

I don't think it's a mental thing with Lukaku, in these "big" games. Quite often the whole team doesn't turn up which completely cuts off his service. He still manages the odd goal, mind. 

Every interview I've watched and read, he comes across as an extremely confident lad with a high opinion of himself. 

He will score goals wherever he goes. 

10 minutes ago, HK85 said:

I don't think it's a mental thing with Lukaku, in these "big" games. Quite often the whole team doesn't turn up which completely cuts off his service. He still manages the odd goal, mind. 

Every interview I've watched and read, he comes across as an extremely confident lad with a high opinion of himself. 

He will score goals wherever he goes. 

I think that's true, tbh, I was just playing devils advocate.

I'll be honest, I didn't catch too many of Everton's big matches last season. Both derbies and the recent Arsenal match - and Lukaku's teammates were fucking abysmal in those matches. Hard to really fault him when nobody turns up, strikers need service to score other than the truly world class ones.

It's pretty clear Lukaku is a good striker. You don't score as many as he did last season in this league if you aren't. I suspect with the right service, he will score regularly.

• The title was changed to Man Utd Agree £75m Fee For Lukaku

Archived