talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man Utd Agree £75m Fee For Lukaku

13 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

This doesn't make any sense at all to me. Everton's aim now is to try and break into the top 4 but are now set to sell a 25 goal a season striker to a club they are trying to overtake whilst taking one of their rejects the other way. 

Why significantly strengthen a rival that last season (in terms of league position) they were almost on par with? 

In a footballing standpoint, I can only assume that since they have upgraded on players around the pitch, their aim is to play better as a team rather than relying on one individual to get their goals? 

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

This doesn't make any sense at all to me. Everton's aim now is to try and break into the top 4 but are now set to sell a 25 goal a season striker to a club they are trying to overtake whilst taking one of their rejects the other way. 

Why significantly strengthen a rival that last season (in terms of league position) they were almost on par with? 

He's stated he wants to go, they don't have much choice really. He's not going to go abroad so its whoever stumps up the cash. For what it's worth I don't see Luakaku significantly improving Manchester United, they had ibrahimovich last year who is a much better player.

12 minutes ago, Cicero said:

In a footballing standpoint, I can only assume that since they have upgraded on players around the pitch, their aim is to play better as a team rather than relying on one individual to get their goals? 

Maybe, but they are still strengthening a direct rival. 25 goals a season strikers are hard to come by. 

It is hard to keep hold of a player once he's set his heart on leaving and if there weren't any bids from abroad then they probably don't have much choice other than to milk as much money as possible from a rival. 

1 hour ago, Teso Dos Bichos said:

xD moyes and LVG fucked the team up really bad, it was going to take more than one season and its not just adding players, the mentality of winners had to be restored. Bad season and still had more trophies than Dortmund, Spurs, and Liverpool. :rofl:

Probably had a more expensive squad than all 3 combined.

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

He's going, that's all there is to it. We've done well to get as many seasons out of him as we have the amount of noises he and his dad make about playing in the Champions League.

You're also completely overlooking the small matter of the 75 million pound profit we make in the process of swapping Lukaku for Rooney but why let that get in the way of another chance to convince yourself that Everton are no threat to top six.

Considering our next best goalscorer after Lukaku was Barkley with five goals last season, if we lose Lukaku and replace him with a striker who gets 15 goals, whilst also gaining goals from having Klaassen instead of Barkley and Sandro instead of Mirallas or Valencia, we've got just as many goals in the side if not more.

Tottenham survived after Bale, Liverpool survived after Suarez, we will survive after Lukaku.

14 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

He's going, that's all there is to it. We've done well to get as many seasons out of him as we have the amount of noises he and his dad make about playing in the Champions League.

You're also completely overlooking the small matter of the 75 million pound profit we make in the process of swapping Lukaku for Rooney but why let that get in the way of another chance to convince yourself that Everton are no threat to top six.

Considering our next best goalscorer after Lukaku was Barkley with five goals last season, if we lose Lukaku and replace him with a striker who gets 15 goals, whilst also gaining goals from having Klaassen instead of Barkley and Sandro instead of Mirallas or Valencia, we've got just as many goals in the side if not more.

Tottenham survived after Bale, Liverpool survived after Suarez, we will survive after Lukaku.

Yes, I did acknowledge most of that in my post above. And I've never said Everton aren't a threat to the top six. Of course they are, they were last season and as you say the squad on the whole has been improved. Lukaku is a massive loss though and goals are so hard to replace despite of the amount of money received, as we found out numerous times after Owen, Torres & Suarez. 

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Yes, I did acknowledge most of that in my post above. And I've never said Everton aren't a threat to the top six. Of course they are, they were last season and as you say the squad on the whole has been improved. Lukaku is a massive loss though and goals are so hard to replace despite of the amount of money received, as we found out numerous times after Owen, Torres & Suarez. 

Yes, I expect us to change our system and we'll see more goals from the rest of the pitch and less from centre forward. Hopefully we'll end up with a better total but I expect we'll break even. 

3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The player you all need is Giroud. ;)

Would genuinely have him in a heartbeat.

I think this is great business from Everton. He doesn't want to be there, and they've made a mint. I still think bringing Rooney back is silly, he's a fat cunt with questionable motivation. I'd go all out for Giroux, offer 25m and be done with it.

• Subscriber
33 minutes ago, FOYM said:

I think this is great business from Everton. He doesn't want to be there, and they've made a mint. I still think bringing Rooney back is silly, he's a fat cunt with questionable motivation. I'd go all out for Giroux, offer 25m and be done with it.

I'm absolutely certain Rooney will not be deployed as a striker, not on a regular basis at least. I'd still go in for Giroud as well as Rooney because to get him for the same price as we've signed Keane, and less than Pickford, is a ridiculously better value deal than either of them. 

11 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I can't believe how rated Giroud is. Honestly... I'm definitely on my own on this one. 

For me best striker in the league, hands down. Plus his hair is glamorous, and yet you thought you can't have it all.

49 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I can't believe how rated Giroud is. Honestly... I'm definitely on my own on this one. 

I'm sorry that guy isn't that good... Great hair, mediocre player. He was brought in for under 10 mil and definitely has outplayed that fee but at the same time there is a reason Arsenal keep flip flopping around with their guys up top and around. He's no Van Persie what so ever.

6 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I get that you have to sell Lukaku, just as we had to sell Suarez and Tottenham had to sell Bale, but I fail to see how it's a good thing for you to sell a player you were so dependent on last season.

Yes, ourselves and Tottenham both survived after Suarez and Bale, but neither team was as dependent on their star as you are on Lukaku and both teams went backwards. We're still not at the level we were with Suarez and it took Tottenham hitting the jackpot on Kane and Alli for them to progress.

Suarez and Bale brought far more to their respective teams than Lukaku does to Everton, while they may rely on him to score the goals he doesn't create anything like as much as world class players Suarez and Bale do. Everton actually build their style round Lukaku, which is ultimately a hindrance for me. Without him they can play differently and more players will flourish. Lukaku didn't make anyone around him any better, like Suarez and bale did, there's no comparison.

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

His minute to goal ratio is impressive, and since he'll be a certain starter for Everton I could see him scoring more than Lacazette for you lot. If City of Chelsea were relying on him to fire them to the title I think it's be too much to ask, but for an Arsenal team going for 4th year in year out I think you were his level.

24 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

You were a complete one man team under Suarez, without him you wouldn't have been near the title so to say that you wasn't as dependent is ridiculous. Not that we're bothered mind, we'll get by just like we always do regardless of what Liverpool fans think :).

Except we did well without Suarez that season and towards the end of the season before (when we had pretty much exactly the same squad and Suarez was serving a suspension). Suarez was and still is a world class player, but we were still a better team without him then than you'd be without Lukaku now.

To be honest, I'd be happy if you were to get by just like you always do, because it ultimately means you're irrelevant come the end of the season.

4 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Suarez was and still is a world class player, but we were still a better team without him then than you'd be without Lukaku now.

A complete guess based on absolutely nothing. 

3 minutes ago, HK85 said:

A complete guess based on absolutely nothing. 

Apart from the quality of the players, I suppose

2 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Amazing how all the Liverpool fans are all over the Everton threads these days, its absolutely brilliant. 

Never seen so much salt.

Sorry for commenting on the biggest Premier League story of the summer x

10 hours ago, True Bender said:

Fuck off. Why is this fraud Mourinho still in charge? He had one of the most expensive squads ever last season and only finished 6th. He got pretty much every player he wanted and still underachieved this hard.

Man City, Liverpool and Tottenham did what then last season if he underachieved so hard!? :clown:

Archived