talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man Utd Agree £75m Fee For Lukaku

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly don't rate Lukaku very highly. I think that goals scored is an overrated metric, as stupid as that sounds. 

You have to look at how a team plays. Some amazing strikers play in teams that take a more collective approach to attacking, and only score a decent amount of goals. Some decent strikers play in teams where everything goes through them and they score almost all of their teams goals. 

Ruud van Nistelrooy was a great striker, and scored insane numbers of goals at United, but they actually became a better team once he left. All that matters is that you create chances and have a few players who are reasonably good at putting them away. 

That said, he'll probably do well at United. Last season Everton and United both played quite similar direct football based on a big man, and what Lukaku lacks in Ibrahimovic's technical qualities, he will make up for with the fact that his pace adds a dimension to his play. 

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Inverted said:

I honestly don't rate Lukaku very highly. I think that goals scored is an overrated metric, as stupid as that sounds. 

You have to look at how a team plays. Some amazing strikers play in teams that take a more collective approach to attacking, and only score a decent amount of goals. Some decent strikers play in teams where everything goes through them and they score almost all of their teams goals. 

Ruud van Nistelrooy was a great striker, and scored insane numbers of goals at United, but they actually became a better team once he left. All that matters is that you create chances and have a few players who are reasonably good at putting them away. 

That said, he'll probably do well at United. Last season Everton and United both played quite similar direct football based on a big man, and what Lukaku lacks in Ibrahimovic's technical qualities, he will make up for with the fact that his pace adds a dimension to his play. 

Fully agree with this too. Problem is too many just cannot objectively look at that first line and it's so so true.

23 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

It is funny that they have Mourinho as manager and have the most expensive squad ever assembled, yet still act haughty about Manchester City.

The players they could of bought for that money   ...but to be fair, i guess top players don't want to play for them anymore. 75 mill for a player worth 30 on a good day stinks of desperation  ...Jesus cost us 27mill xD

34 minutes ago, Pep Talk said:

whats this about united still paying rooney's wages?

Lots of rumours, who knows the truth.   Suppose to be a free transfer with Rooney taking a huge cut in wages.  I suspect there is a loyalty bonus from United, isn't that a kick in the teeth, but not United paying part of the wages.   Wait until United play Everton, if Rooney is in the team or on the bench, then United are not paying part of his salary , since I believe he couldn't play agaisnt us if we are.

• Subscriber
Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

Apparently Lukaku got nicked this week for his behaviour in LA. Fraud perhaps?

Featuring on that melt Pogba's twitter/instagram/snapchat or whatever should be 6 months community service minimum. 

• Subscriber
On 06/07/2017 at 11:35 PM, robosys said:

Wouldn't call that survival though, could not make it out of their group in the Champions league, kicked out of the Europa league, seasonal bottlers but when Bale was there, they made last 8 and would have kept on improving if he had stayed.

One of the worst posts I've seen in ages. Good job 

• Subscriber

Hated losing Bale because he carried us, but ultimately we're a far superior team right now without him than we ever were when we had him. Everton losing Lukaku isn't the fatal blow some are making out. Yes they may struggle to replace his goals in the short term, but he's quite limited in his game. They can build a more expansive team, which will be different, but could be equally as effective. 10 goals from 3 players as opposed to 30 from one. I'd actually be excited about the potential to evolve in the medium term than worry about the impact of losing those goals in the short-term. But then again we've had enough rebuilds in our time for me to be able to talk about this from experience. It's taken us a long time to get to where we are now as a side, but this is without doubt the best team of my lifetime so it's worth it. 

Lukaku leaving Everton isn't anywhere comparable to you lot Losing Bale. Everton will be absolutely fine, it's hilarious that utd are paying so fucking much for a glorified Benteke.

5 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

The players they could of bought for that money   ...but to be fair, i guess top players don't want to play for them anymore. 75 mill for a player worth 30 on a good day stinks of desperation  ...Jesus cost us 27mill xD

Yeah the Jesus deal was a good one, but then even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.  With all the money City has wasted, especially on CB's, I wouldn't be laughing at any club's transfer fees.

1 hour ago, Redcanuck said:

Yeah the Jesus deal was a good one, but then even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.  With all the money City has wasted, especially on CB's, I wouldn't be laughing at any club's transfer fees.

Well said. United has been petty loose with the purse strings the last two summers but not sure any deal they've done is as over the odds as Mangala to City. 

5 hours ago, Storts said:

Hated losing Bale because he carried us, but ultimately we're a far superior team right now without him than we ever were when we had him. Everton losing Lukaku isn't the fatal blow some are making out. Yes they may struggle to replace his goals in the short term, but he's quite limited in his game. They can build a more expansive team, which will be different, but could be equally as effective. 10 goals from 3 players as opposed to 30 from one. I'd actually be excited about the potential to evolve in the medium term than worry about the impact of losing those goals in the short-term. But then again we've had enough rebuilds in our time for me to be able to talk about this from experience. It's taken us a long time to get to where we are now as a side, but this is without doubt the best team of my lifetime so it's worth it. 

I don't really connect where Spurs are at now with losing bale. 

In that I wouldn't agree that you wouldn't be where you are today if you hadn't offloaded bale.

Keeping bale and still investing in a great manager who had made good calls developing players etc who knows what things would be like for spurs. But i suspect you'd be as good or even better with a world class bale in your squad. 

Archived