talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man Utd Agree £75m Fee For Lukaku

57 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Amazing how all the Liverpool fans are all over the Everton threads these days, its absolutely brilliant. 

Never seen so much salt.

Better hadn't be talking about me you whore 

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

He's going, that's all there is to it. We've done well to get as many seasons out of him as we have the amount of noises he and his dad make about playing in the Champions League.

You're also completely overlooking the small matter of the 75 million pound profit we make in the process of swapping Lukaku for Rooney but why let that get in the way of another chance to convince yourself that Everton are no threat to top six.

Considering our next best goalscorer after Lukaku was Barkley with five goals last season, if we lose Lukaku and replace him with a striker who gets 15 goals, whilst also gaining goals from having Klaassen instead of Barkley and Sandro instead of Mirallas or Valencia, we've got just as many goals in the side if not more.

Tottenham survived after Bale, Liverpool survived after Suarez, we will survive after Lukaku.

Wouldn't call that survival though, could not make it out of their group in the Champions league, kicked out of the Europa league, seasonal bottlers but when Bale was there, they made last 8 and would have kept on improving if he had stayed.

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

This doesn't make any sense at all to me. Everton's aim now is to try and break into the top 4 but are now set to sell a 25 goal a season striker to a club they are trying to overtake whilst taking one of their rejects the other way. 

Why significantly strengthen a rival that last season (in terms of league position) they were almost on par with? 

Everton have spent a lot and would Ee invest the money wisely. Also why would they keep a player who doesn't want to be there? When they can get a ridiculous fee for him??

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

I get that you have to sell Lukaku, just as we had to sell Suarez and Tottenham had to sell Bale, but I fail to see how it's a good thing for you to sell a player you were so dependent on last season.

Yes, ourselves and Tottenham both survived after Suarez and Bale, but neither team was as dependent on their star as you are on Lukaku and both teams went backwards. We're still not at the level we were with Suarez and it took Tottenham hitting the jackpot on Kane and Alli for them to progress.

Obviously it's not a good thing to lose a player like Lukaku, nobody said that, however none of our fans are throwing their toys out the pram because we knew this was coming and the signings we've already made prove that the current regime are intent on moving the club forward. Like I've said elsewhere, Lukaku scored 25 goals last season and it's highly unlikely whoever we replace with him will match that, but if we can a 15 goal striker you only need ten more goals from the rest of the team to make up the difference. Given that Barkley with 5 was our next top scorer last season, and that we've already signed Klaassen who averaged 10 a season for Ajax, Sandro who bagged 15 in La Liga last season, with Sigurdsson potentially to follow, I am absolutely confidence that we will make up the difference. Another factor is how we've built the current side around Lukaku which will be another change next season which was beautifully and sensibly summarised by Dodger below.

2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Suarez and Bale brought far more to their respective teams than Lukaku does to Everton, while they may rely on him to score the goals he doesn't create anything like as much as world class players Suarez and Bale do. Everton actually build their style round Lukaku, which is ultimately a hindrance for me. Without him they can play differently and more players will flourish. Lukaku didn't make anyone around him any better, like Suarez and bale did, there's no comparison.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Suarez and Bale brought far more to their respective teams than Lukaku does to Everton, while they may rely on him to score the goals he doesn't create anything like as much as world class players Suarez and Bale do. Everton actually build their style round Lukaku, which is ultimately a hindrance for me. Without him they can play differently and more players will flourish. Lukaku didn't make anyone around him any better, like Suarez and bale did, there's no comparison.

100% agree with every word.

2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Obviously it's not a good thing to lose a player like Lukaku, nobody said that, however none of our fans are throwing their toys out the pram because we knew this was coming and the signings we've already made prove that the current regime are intent on moving the club forward. Like I've said elsewhere, Lukaku scored 25 goals last season and it's highly unlikely whoever we replace with him will match that, but if we can a 15 goal striker you only need ten more goals from the rest of the team to make up the difference. Given that Barkley with 5 was our next top scorer last season, and that we've already signed Klaassen who averaged 10 a season for Ajax, Sandro who bagged 15 in La Liga last season, with Sigurdsson potentially to follow, I am absolutely confidence that we will make up the difference. Another factor is how we've built the current side around Lukaku which will be another change next season which was beautifully and sensibly summarised by Dodger below.

You said you'd have as many goals if not more. I don't agree. Credit to you for showing intent despite the inevitable sale of Lukaku, but we and Tottenham can tell you that selling a player that's head and shoulders above the rest of your team just doesn't work.

Goals in Spain don't always translate to goals in the Premier League mate, and goals in Holland definitely don't, but that's not the point. It's all ifs and football doesn't always work that way; Liverpool fans did exactly the same sums when Suarez left and look where that got us.

Yeah, I don't buy that Lukaku was holding his teammates back. If anything, he attracted attention away from his team mates and bought them more space in which to operate, just didn't do them much good in terms of goals.

• Subscriber

Agree to disagree mate. Time will tell but I'm not remotely worried about us going backwards next season and nor are the majority of Everton fans. You lot can worry about us all you want though :D.

What are the thoughts from a United perspective on choosing Lukaku in place of Morata?

With Rooney and Ibra leaving there was a fair opportunity for United to completely reshape how they go forwards. Is this the right choice for them? 

5 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

You said you'd have as many goals if not more. I don't agree. Credit to you for showing intent despite the inevitable sale of Lukaku, but we and Tottenham can tell you that selling a player that's head and shoulders above the rest of your team just doesn't work.

Goals in Spain don't always translate to goals in the Premier League mate, and goals in Holland definitely don't, but that's not the point. It's all ifs and football doesn't always work that way; Liverpool fans did exactly the same sums when Suarez left and look where that got us.

Yeah, I don't buy that Lukaku was holding his teammates back. If anything, he attracted attention away from his team mates and bought them more space in which to operate, just didn't do them much good in terms of goals.

Goals in one team in England don't always translate into goals for another club in the Premier league either. Whenever you sign a player, there is always a risk factor there.

Lukaku isn't worth this amount of money either way and Everton have gotten the better end of the deal, since it was obvious he was leaving anyway. If they can't improve their squad from this amount of money, then there is something wrong with them. He's a good player but that amount of money should improve an overall squad when you're a club like Everton, who are used to not always spending the top prices for players.

2 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Goals in one team in England don't always translate into goals for another club in the Premier league either. Whenever you sign a player, there is always a risk factor there.

Lukaku isn't worth this amount of money either way and Everton have gotten the better end of the deal, since it was obvious he was leaving anyway. If they can't improve their squad from this amount of money, then there is something wrong with them. He's a good player but that amount of money should improve an overall squad when you're a club like Everton, who are used to not always spending the top prices for players.

If Sigurdson is 40m as rumored then it won't be a forgone conclusion that they'll come out better overall. The problem spurs and liverpool encountered post bale and suarez is people know you have a big bag of money. And if you're chasing a player that the other clubs aren't super keen to sell you'll be made to pay a similar premium you what you yourself received. 

19 hours ago, Teso Dos Bichos said:

ROBOSYS KNOWS love that clown at the end :rofl: if they want to talk about underachieving and expensive squad, how many trophies did the team lead by neymar, suarez, and messi won last season :sippinmyTEA:

:D

17 hours ago, Harry said:

What are the thoughts from a United perspective on choosing Lukaku in place of Morata?

With Rooney and Ibra leaving there was a fair opportunity for United to completely reshape how they go forwards. Is this the right choice for them? 

United fan here.... I have seen Lukaku play and at this point, United winning the league is priority next season and after hitting the woodwork last season coupled with outrageous misses from our players, why pay 90 Mills to Madrid when there's a proven goal scorer for 2 seasons running as an undisputed starter compared to Morata who has been playing a bit part player? It's a good choice going for Lukaku at this point, Madrid were being assholes always flauting "we want De Gea crap" in our faces... point is Morata and Lukaku are both good but I would settle for any 20+ goal scorer that costs less than 80 Mills and some crappy add-on deals that might include De Gea... heck, if Morata is 90 mill then how much is Lewandowski!? Suarez wasn't even 90, lol so yeah, a good deal for Lukaku, cheaper and proven.

Matching the United bid is a little too little a little too late.

If we had wanted him badly enough we should have had this wrapped up and done

Not sure where this leaves us with intended targets vs the actual horrible reality... 

If he's not matching the fee that's going to go to that parasite Raiola, there's no way he'll join you over United. Unless he bins Raiola, which would be a good thing for football. But I can't see that happening tbh.

Considering this is happening now right after those reports of Conte being livid over United getting Lukaku, leaves me to believe he was his first choice after all... 

So typical of our board to yet again fuck around with transfers

4 hours ago, Cicero said:

Considering this is happening now right after those reports of Conte being livid over United getting Lukaku, leaves me to believe he was his first choice after all... 

So typical of our board to yet again fuck around with transfers

The news is just insane.... I keep hearing Lukaku wasn't Conte's first choice that he wanted to work with Morata right from when he was at Juve, this could all just be Chelsea doing a Willian to Spurs stunt though cause don't even know who to believe anymore :|

20 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Agreed.

They throw around these sums of money for anyone, these days. It's ridiculous the actual state of affairs, in football.

And Toni, you're not alone on the Giroud subject. He's simply not good enough to be the main striker of a team that, supposedly, wants to fight for the league title. 

What's anyone worth really though? 80m for Ronaldo in 2009.... with 10% inflation over the 8 years since would be 180m in todays dollars. Is Lukaku worth 75m relative to that? 

And what is the realistic inflation rate based on tv rights and revenue growth since then? Possibly much more than 10%.

Archived