talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Southampton Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Given there transfer policy of grooming players for Liverpool to finish as high as fourth I don't really know what more they expect than 8th and a Wembley day out. 

Few more goals. I'm honestly baffled that they've come as high as 8th. I don't remember them looking particularly good all season.

Monk is a bizarre link as well. Not really getting that one.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dan said:

Few more goals. I'm honestly baffled that they've come as high as 8th. I don't remember them looking particularly good all season.

Ex Saints player for a number of years and completed his apprenticeship there so there are ties.

Also, despite the late collapse towards the end of the season, his work last year shouldn't be disregarded. Most people had him up for Manager of the Year in the Championship so that shouldn't change just because of what happened. He still performed way and above what was expected.

If I was a Southampton fan though, I'd obviously want Tuchel.

4 hours ago, Dan said:

That says more about the rest of the league than it does about Southampton, anyone from them below weren't very good at all last season. 

I like Monk too, think he's a good manager but he'll probably stay in the Championship.

They might have finished 8th but they got 17 points less than last season. 14 less than the season before that.

Maybe they don't think they've seen enough in the year to believe they will ever return to a 60point club under Poo el.

Seems quite a harsh decision, not sure what Southampton are expecting to be or how Puel failed to deliver.

Maybe they were just listening to British football pundits and Ryan Giggs is set to get a job because these foreigners have done nothing in their footballing lives...

• Subscriber

Funny watching Le Tissier play the "seems harsh to outsiders but the fans of the club get this" after he was bashing us for sacking Ranieri.

It is quite a strange one because on the face of it Southampton sacking a manager who came 8th and made a cup final does seem harsh - but you can easily twist that and say they got far less points than the previous year, scored a ridiculously low number home goals (including 0 in their last 5) and are notoriously dull to watch.

There's no outcry at Southampton, and that's usually quite telling.

My money is on de Boer.

I do like Southampton. I have a lot of admiration for the way they're run. If it wasn't for me seeing them as a close competitor I'd be hoping they broke into Europe and did better. Their showing last year was atrocious really. There's no excuse what so ever for not getting out of a group with Inter, Sparta Prague and Hapoel Be'er-Sheva - and incredibly Inter not getting out of it too.

I think they're likely to probably finish around 8th again this year and will do for the foreseeable future. 

• The title was changed to Southampton Sack Claude Puel - De Boer & Pellegrino Latest Links
2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Pellegrino confirmed

The legend who came to us to allow us to get to rest Hyypia for a few matches in 2005? He was sooo wank for us (which is funny considering how good he was in his career), but he did play an important role as a squad member that season.

I wish him all the best. Even though Southampton fans fucking hate us now.

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Aye, laughing all the way when he uses them as a stepping stone and ditches them. 

That aside however this could be a great appointment. As I said earlier there's something that makes me hesitant about FDB and I can't put my finger on what it is, Pellegrino could be a fantastic choice as he's done excellent work with Alaves this season. They were 90 minutes away from European football which is a remarkable achievement no matter which way you look at it.

Unless you're a top club then everyone is a stepping stone, there is no "ditching". Southampton do not operate like that, they have a team who run the football clubs long term vision and the coach is essentially there to implement that on the pitch for as long as they're there. Saints lost Poch and gained Koeman, if this manager is a success and moves on then I imagine they won't struggle replacing him.

One of the best run clubs in the country.

• Subscriber

Southampton have a very good model in place and it's reached the point I expect anyone they go for to be a gem now. Granted Puel wasn't great but he still was far from a disaster.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The legend who came to us to allow us to get to rest Hyypia for a few matches in 2005? He was sooo wank for us (which is funny considering how good he was in his career), but he did play an important role as a squad member that season.

I wish him all the best. Even though Southampton fans fucking hate us now.

I remember him being particularly bad down at Southampton in a 2-0 defeat I think haha.

I seem to remember something about him collecting up the AC Milan runners up medals that had been discarded by their players and him handing them out to some of the younger players who didn't make the match day squad in 2005. 

Archived