talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Southampton Discussion

football forum

football forum

180px-FC_Southampton.svg.png

Southampton Football Club is a professional association football club based in Southampton, Hampshire, England, which plays in the Premier Leauge, the top tier of English football.

Their home ground since 2001 has been St. Mary's Stadium, before which they were based at The Dell. The club has been nicknamed "The Saints" since its inception in 1885 due to its history as a church football team, founded as St. Mary's Church of England Young Men's Association, and play in red and white shirts. Southampton has a long-standing rivalry with Portsmouth due to its close proximity and both cities' respective maritime history. Matches between the two sides are known as the South Coast derby.

All discussion relating to Southampton that does not warrant it's own thread (i.e. - players signing new contracts, newspaper clippings etc...) should take place here.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Van Dijk will leave but can't see it being to Everton.

Bertrand was probably gonna leave anyway. Not sure about Redmond but I rate him. Wouldn't mind if we put in a bid in for him and tested the waters. Funnily enough, can see him going to a club like Everton to be honest.

Southampton fans must be all too used to this though now xD. Such a high turnover of talent on and off the pitch. Wonder how much more the club can take. 

8 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Claude Puel heading towards the exit door?

Claude-Puel-610463.jpg

A host of Saints stars including England duo Ryan Bertrand and Nathan Redmond have fallen out with their French boss after becoming disillusioned with his style of management. England defender Bertrand is now ready to quit the club in the summer if Puel stays in charge and there are also genuine fears that star defender Virgil van Dijk will leave if Puel doesn’t.

Full Story

Thoughts? I personally am quite happy with this considering the Southampton players were giving it the big one when Claude first took over and fired sly comments Koeman's way. It's good to see that they're now in a sticky situation and hopefully this pushes Van Dijk towards Goodison Park.

Hey? 

VVD is wanted by all the top clubs in the league and it's apparently a done deal with Chelsea who offered him the most money (around £150k a week).

Everton couldn't offord him mate.

Think he's got a right to be a little pissed off if they do get rid. Hard to replicate what Koeman did there but he got them to a cup final (and pushed United in it) and their league season hasn't been a complete disaster. Had injuries to key players like Forster, Austin and VVD which is tough for a club like Southampton with no proper replacements. 

His style was a bit dull but I agree that you can't really complain about results. Whatever happens, you can be sure Southampton have a plan on how to respond, and potential replacements lined up. 

I've also heard that Chelsea are willing to offer Andreas Christensen as a makeweight plus cash for VVD, which would be a great deal for Southampton. If its true its an edge that no other club can match, considering they can basically give them the exact type of young player they'd probably look for to replace Van Dijk. 

23 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

That's a load of rubbish. 

We won't sign him because we don't play Champions League football, not because we lack funding.

I mean I've heard we're wanting him, but there's also Citeh and Chelsea interested. And I know you've now got more money... but I can't see either Merseyside club having the financial power to go up against a top target for Citeh or Chelsea and succeeding (unless he was, for some reason, a fan of one of our clubs. Which I highly fucking doubt). Those clubs are not afraid to drop frivolous amounts of cash to land their top targets, and if they fail it doesn't make a huge difference to them.

54 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

That's a load of rubbish. 

We won't sign him because we don't play Champions League football, not because we lack funding.

Lacking funds isn't the problem. There are certain rules that need to be aderhed to and Everton simply don't create enough revenue to be making £50m signings whilst paying £150k a week. 

54 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Rumour has it that we've bid £60,000,000 for Koulibaly after having a £47,000,000 bid rejected last summer. 

Like it or not we will spend big if we need to. 

Why wouldn't I like it? It's not about that!

Everton can't just go around splashing £60m around unless that's their only signing or it's from the sale of Lukaku. It's probably the later. 

There are spending rules which means a club has to make money and not just spend endless pots, even if the owner is rich. 

Theres only a select few clubs that can afford to spend 100's of millions and stay within the rules and Everton ain't one of them. 

3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Why wouldn't I like it? It's not about that!

Everton can't just go around splashing £60m around unless that's their only signing or it's from the sale of Lukaku. It's probably the later. 

There are spending rules which means a club has to make money and not just spend endless pots, even if the owner is rich. 

Theres only a select few clubs that can afford to spend 100's of millions and stay within the rules and Everton ain't one of them. 

Once the sale of Lukaku goes through we can go and spend whatever we want. 

1 minute ago, HK85 said:

Once the sale of Lukaku goes through we can go and spend whatever we want. 

I did say that! 

The only way Everton can spend the amount of money Cannabis was suggesting is through player sales. 

5 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I did say that! 

The only way Everton can spend the amount of money Cannabis was suggesting is through player sales. 

Just the one big sale is enough to cover STCC. 

2 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Just the one big sale is enough to cover STCC. 

Depends how big the sale is and how many big money signings you want to make. 

My whole point was to let Cannabis know that Everton can't just go out and spend a hundred gazillions just because the new owner is loaded. 

Everton don't earn nearly enough revenue for that to happen without selling your best players. It's not nice but it's how it is. You can only buy big, if you sell big. 

If we're talking about funds given the investment in our squad since the American takeover we could afford Virgil Van Dijk. Doesn't mean he would join us given he'd be an asset to any top six side.

Back on topic I think Puel has done a good job but if he's lost the dressing room it's only going to go one way. Shakespeare at Leicester is evidence that a character players believe in is the biggest plus point a manager can have. The Tactical genius that Jose was in his first stint at Chelsea is a dieing breed now because of how the game has evolved.

He doesn't have much of a personality and is probably the most forgettable manager in the division. 

I always say that if you lose the dressing room it becomes very difficult to get it back, and that appears to have been the case here. I think he'll go at the end of the season.

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Checked Sky Sports earlier, not even on the front page this oddly.

A bit of a nothing news story for me. Not a massive shock but also not particularly expected.

Tuchel coming to the Premiership would be interesting potentially but Monk being one of the favourites is a bit of a weird link for me.

They finished 8th and got to a Cup final, that is a very good season for a club like Southampton as far as I'm concerned. I'm not really sure what more they could have expected of him.

He was quite forgettable though, six months time and everyone will have forgot he existed. 

Just now, Toony said:

He hasn't?

Sky Sports and the like were all reporting it last night.

Not yet. Seen a few people who would know on Twitter say he's still their manager but it's likely he will leave. 

They had a Wembley final this season and finished midtable. Not a bad season but I guess they were going for Europa League football again?

Tuchel would be a good appointment for them, no idea how Garry Monk's name is in the running after Leeds' end of season capitulation.

I think a lot of their fans objected to his style of football but it still looks incredibly harsh from the outside. I'm sure these fans will be the first to start crying if they start losing next season but play a better style of football.

Football is a results business, end of.

41 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Given there transfer policy of grooming players for Liverpool to finish as high as fourth I don't really know what more they expect than 8th and a Wembley day out. 

They've been changing that policy with longer term contracts so I've been told.

• The title was changed to Southampton Sack Claude Puel - De Boer & Pellegrino Latest Links

Archived