talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Don Everly RIP

football forum

The final chapter in the Saga that became known for its falling out and making up series of events.  Sadly we have now lost Don some 7 years after I was asked to send a note to Kentucky which was read out at Phil's funeral.  I have been now told that Maggie (Margaret) their mum, wants another for next week.  I got to know the boys in the late 50's when I spent time with Archie and Janet Bleyer in NYC and they were just starting with Archie's Cadence label.  The family was always close -even though mum had to take legal action later to sort out their home..... and my final Interview was in Wakefield with Phil while Don was in the Hilton in Leeds and they insisted on not staying in the same Hotel.  Eventually sorted - with Cliff Richard's help (never given credit for that) and Mum is now 102 and has outlived them both.  Don used to like to talk as they were both older than me and he liked having a younger guy interview them which in the 50's and 60's was rare so we were sometimes on the same page - even with his time in the Marines which was not the best of his experiences and he liked to compare it with my RAF years. Sad but nice to know that the world will always remember their music - not unique, but almost!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cliff Richards tried to kill me once, I'm pretty sure @Batardcan confirm.

But RIP. I don't know a thing about the Everly Brothers... other than they were a huge influence to The Beatles. To be influential to arguably the most influential band of all time is no small feat. They've got to be legends in their own regard for that.

I feel a bit sad for their mum though, surviving her two sons.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

But RIP. I don't know a thing about the Everly Brothers... other than they were a huge influence to The Beatles. To be influential to arguably the most influential band of all time is no small feat. They've got to be legends in their own regard for that.

Cliff and Phil actually performed together, "She means nothing to me" is a decent tune too. His death really hit Don hard too. RIP to them both, legends. 

On 24/08/2021 at 22:05, Dr. Gonzo said:

You may be correct in your thoughts, but Cliff was Richard not Richards so perhaps it was another bloke!🗯️

Archived