• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Michael Schumacher

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

The younger of the Schumachers’ two children, their son Mick, made his debut as a Formula 1 driver this year. He described the sadness he feels at being unable to discuss his career and share other experiences with his father.

“Since the accident these [family] experiences, these moments that I believe many people have with their parents are no longer present, or to a lesser extent, and in my view that is a little unfair,” he says.

“I think dad and me, we would understand each other in a different way now simply because we speak a similar language, the language of motorsport, and that we would have much more to talk about. And that’s where my head is most of the time, thinking that would be so cool. I would give up everything just for that.”

https://www.racefans.net/2021/09/08/michael-schumachers-family-discuss-his-life-after-skiing-crash-in-new-film/

:( 

• Subscriber

So I watched the documentary. It was... alright. If you're bothered about spoilers then don't read ahead even though I don't think there are many, I don't know how to spoiler tag on my phone.

As someone who is only vaguely interested in the family and home life side of things, I find all of those parts and therefore most of the documentary vaguely interesting. I just wish they dug a bit more into some of the actual F1 stuff, I was disappointed in them glossing over the leg injury and subsequent comeback in 1999 and wish there was more from Ralf about what it was like for them to race against each other as brothers in different F1 teams, a bit more about the Hakkinen rivalry, something on the dynamic at Ferrari with Barrichello and later rivalries and relationships with Montoya and Alonso, the relationship with Vettel later on. I guess some of this other stuff has been done to death though and this was more about Michael Schumacher the man.

I suppose to summarise, while I still found it interesting throughout, this isn't really an F1 documentary for the most part (fair enough) so don't expect a slew of new scoops from that part of the sport's history.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

So I watched the documentary. It was... alright. If you're bothered about spoilers then don't read ahead even though I don't think there are many, I don't know how to spoiler tag on my phone.

As someone who is only vaguely interested in the family and home life side of things, I find all of those parts and therefore most of the documentary vaguely interesting. I just wish they dug a bit more into some of the actual F1 stuff, I was disappointed in them glossing over the leg injury and subsequent comeback in 1999 and wish there was more from Ralf about what it was like for them to race against each other as brothers in different F1 teams, a bit more about the Hakkinen rivalry, something on the dynamic at Ferrari with Barrichello and later rivalries and relationships with Montoya and Alonso, the relationship with Vettel later on. I guess some of this other stuff has been done to death though and this was more about Michael Schumacher the man.

I suppose to summarise, while I still found it interesting throughout, this isn't really an F1 documentary for the most part (fair enough) so don't expect a slew of new scoops from that part of the sport's history.

I'm watching it tonight after work. Have been looking forward to it; I haven't had many idols in my life, but Schumi was someone I adored as a kid and he'll always be special for me for that reason alone. I personally hoped it would be more about Michael Schumacher the man as compared to Michael Schumacher the racing driver, so it looks like I'll enjoy it...

• Subscriber

Just finished it. Thought it was a good documentary, and I really liked how they tried to show the complexity of his character instead of simply painting him as a saint, a villain, or an all-time great. Pretty balanced, I would say. And so nostalgic; brought me back to my childhood and made me relive all those moments again...

The last 15-20 minutes felt like an eulogy though 🥺 I think this was the family's last gift to the fans, their way of turning the page, and we probably won't hear much about him anymore in the years to come. Understandable, but still sad.

Legend.

I really liked it too. Seeing Mark Webber in it was a bit odd for some reason. xD But yea, really nice documentary that showed what kind of man Michael was back in the day. Caring and loving off the track, ruthless competitor on track. The last 20 minutes were really sad though. The look on Mick's face at the end. :( I will sheer him on even more now. 

Another thing I thought was odd, was how they portrayed Senna's death. They made it look a bit like it was Michael's fault for being so quick and chasing him, no? Just looked a bit strange to me how they portrayed that. 

• Subscriber
26 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I really liked it too. Seeing Mark Webber in it was a bit odd for some reason. xD But yea, really nice documentary that showed what kind of man Michael was back in the day. Caring and loving off the track, ruthless competitor on track. The last 20 minutes were really sad though. The look on Mick's face at the end. :( I will sheer him on even more now. 

Another thing I thought was odd, was how they portrayed Senna's death. They made it look a bit like it was Michael's fault for being so quick and chasing him, no? Just looked a bit strange to me how they portrayed that. 

Don't think it was supposed to look like Senna crashing was Michael's fault, I think it was there to show his reaction and doubts afterwards; probably one of the first times he showed his vulnerability and emotions. Also, I think there was a bit of foreshadowing with all that coma talk 😕

I do think it supports the idea of Senna being wary about Michael challenging him though. I remember Martin Brundle saying how Senna was almost paranoid and "convinced himself that Benetton were cheating" and that turned into his weakness, and eventually led to his demise.

Was surprised they showed full Senna crash footage, though. Until yesterday, I've never seen it in such a high quality; most older videos cut the feed off once he goes into the wall... I remember watching the footage of the crash from his cockpit years ago and you could see the moment his neck snapped 😐

• Subscriber

I listened to another episode of the "Bring Back V10s" podcast last night that happened to be about Senna's last home race in 1994. There was a lot about the Williams struggling to adapt from active suspension and Senna watching the Benetton from trackside and convincing himself that they were using traction control. The Benetton also had their car protested early in 1994 as they had holes in their sidepod which was illegal, but some ridiculous technicality allowed them to get away with it because they managed to define the holes in the sidepod as simply areas where they wasn't any sidepod (!?!?). Adrian Newey described it as like calling the hole in a Polo mint not a hole but simply a bit of space where there wasn't any mint.

So this all probably contributed to Senna's paranoia about Benetton cheating and to be fair he had a point. I did enjoy the background in that part of the documentary and while I was a bit shocked they showed the full speed footage of Senna's accident, as someone who was a toddler at this point in history, I did learn a lot about the people involved at the time. It must have been a very strange and difficult title fight for Schumacher and Hill to be involved in for the rest of the year.

I was thinking a few days ago actually that the present day rivalry that's bubbling between Hamilton and Verstappen is arguably a lot like Senna and Schumacher might have looked at from 1994-1997 and possibly longer. It's a shame given the length of his time at the top that Hakkinen was Schumacher's last real 'great rival'. Alonso was his title rival for a year but the personal rivalry didn't seem to have time to develop. The last thing I found comment worthy was the acknowledgement during the little segment on his 2010-12 comeback that Michael had nowhere near the motivation and desperation to be the best and that he was there more to enjoy the sport. Unsurprising really when you look at his performances in that era compared to a legion of younger men who were super-fit and committed because he himself had set the bar that high years earlier.

• Subscriber

1994 was a crazy chaotic season. I highly recommend this book for a detailed in depth account of it, with a lot of insights into FIA, technical regulations, and the lengths most of the teams went to.

1994%20F1.jpg

On 16/09/2021 at 01:20, nudge said:

Just finished it. Thought it was a good documentary, and I really liked how they tried to show the complexity of his character instead of simply painting him as a saint, a villain, or an all-time great. Pretty balanced, I would say. And so nostalgic; brought me back to my childhood and made me relive all those moments again...

The last 15-20 minutes felt like an eulogy though 🥺 I think this was the family's last gift to the fans, their way of turning the page, and we probably won't hear much about him anymore in the years to come. Understandable, but still sad.

Legend.

This for me was an emotionally draining documentary is a good way. Having his wife and kids brought it in this direction. His wife gave a good account of who he was off track and on the track. 

The work he put in was immense. The fact that he went to Ferrari in order to get them to the top again shows how he never ducked a challenge. I feel the documentary was geared towards his first title win at Ferrari. It went in that direction, once he won it you felt relieved yourself even so you've already lived it.

Regarding his tussles with Senna. Would have been interesting to see how this panned out for a few years. Senna was getting on but had plenty of life in him. He took pole in the first 3 races of 1994, the third being his tragic death. Shuey young but wasn't intimated by Senna or anyone in general. I think this surprised Senna as Senna wasn't a saint himself during the 80s and was known to overstep the mark. It reminded me of Holyfield with Tyson. Evander just wasn't intimated and this went back to their younger years.

I wasn't a big Schuey fan in fairness after he took Hill out in 1994. But I'm glad I watched this. The new generation can learn from his work ethic and the work ethic of his parents, similar to Lewi's dad who had to hold down 3 or 4 jobs to support his racing career.

What was the most important part? They stated how Schuey's skin was always skin tight and glowing. We need more documentaries where they mention skin complexation and the athletic bodies of sportsman. 

Okay, so I just watched this. Mind you, I'm still very new to F1 and certainly didn't grow up watching it although everyone knew who Schumacher was. 

This is incredibly heavy. Like, emotional from the start to the finish. It was fantastic to learn about him as a person, and see his climb in racing. I think they also did a great job including him father, wife, and family in this. Why I'm sure most people wanted more, it's an almost 2hr documentary so I'm not sure what they could have cut out to make include other aspects. 

The Flying Finn comes off very likable. I don't know much about him, but he just seems very calm, relaxed, and the moment in the press conference where he sticks up for Michael and asks for a break while Michael is crying about tying Senna, is just a good gesture. Now, is he really a kind and likable guy? I don't know, but he certainly came off that way. 

Now, onto the end. 

I guess I always thought Schumacher was a quiet guy, and one that never really enjoyed the spotlight. In fact, in NASCAR, there is a legend in Bill Elliot that was born near me, his son just won the championships, and he is rarely at the races as he just enjoys his peace and quiet, while letting his son make his own mark, and I always thought that was the same approach that Michael was taking. Honestly, I had never heard of this skiing accident or the fact that we don't see or hear from him because the family wants his privacy and maybe he can't speak? Damn, I mean that is a punch to the gut and chest, and I found myself tearing up at the end of it. Watching Mick, whom I love and respect for carrying such a massive name in motorsports, and watching him talk at the end is just hard not to want to reach out and just console the kid. I couldn't imagine, and maybe it's hitting me harder as this has been the first year in my life that my own father has had numerous serious health scares, but really, I am just emotional after watching that. 

So yeah, I never knew that Schumacher was in bad health and almost died while skiing. I guess no one sees him? No one but his family and friends knows how he is doing? And I tried a bit of research, but from what it sounds like, people aren't aware if he even has any idea of Mick's accomplishments? Fuck...that is such a depressing thought and completely breaks my heart. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 03/01/2022 at 21:17, Tommy said:

Michael Schumacher with his Ferraris. 

iepkiy21ne981.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s

What a picture. 

Something about that shiny Red :x. Brings back some very good childhood memories of watching the sport.

Archived