talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Best Defensive Midfielder In The World? Top 3?

football forum

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Casemiro is getting overlooked slightly. He's a bastard but you'd want him on your team doing the dirty work.

Does Kante not come into this equation? I always considered him as a defensive midfielder in his time for Leicester, Chelsea and France although I know he is not as rigid as say Makelele was.

I love Veratti as well but not sure if he is classed directly as a defensive midfielder?

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I think Casemiro is getting overlooked slightly.

I love Veratti as well but not sure if he is classed directly as a defensive midfielder?

Those three at the moment are superior. Casemiro has fell off a little but the bloke probably has hardly any motivation considering what he's won. 

Veratti more of a #6 orchestrator. 

Depends what your definition of defensive midfielder is. Someone that tackles a lot and covers an insane amount of ground? Kante. Someone that doesn’t move from position and retains shape? Maybe Busquets. A brute that hounds everything? I am thinking Casemiro, Rice, and Phillips. A player that is well rounded and does the dirty work whil being able  to join the attack? I think of players like Kimmich, Modroc, Brozovic, Jorginho, Barella, Goretzka, Koke, Saul, so on.

So to answer your question I don’t know

• Subscriber

Casemiro has to make this list. I never really had Kimmich down as a holding midfielder and I don't with Kante either. From a purely defensive midfielder point of view Ndidi's absolutely top drawer, but he is slightly let down by limitations on the ball. I'm amazed how little interest we seem to get for him.

Fabinho is superb as well actually.

• Subscriber

I just remember when Kimmich made the move to midfield I was so against it at the time. Fast forward to euros and Löw uses him as a RB again and Im like why Löw?!?!? why!?!?! Ive never been more happy to be proven wrong. A backbone of Kimmich/Goretzka will keep us going for years. 

Anyways as Spike says the definition is quite loose but as a pure holding midfielder Id probably have Fabinho, the guys a fucking rock. 

Right now: Kante, Jorginho & Fabinho

Jorginho's image perhaps suffered in England from being derided so much because Chelsea already had Kante, played him out of position, didn't click, etc, etc.

Fairly soon: Phillips, Rice & Douglas Luiz

The England guys really do have to be in the conversation.

I'm sure there's half a dozen German contenders too.

I think it's some combination of Kimmich, Fabinho, Casemiro, and Jorginho.

And I define the role as players who play at the base of a three, or who play a holding role in a two. Which excludes Kante.

To me a defensive midfielder is basically any midfielder who normally doesn't move very far away from his centre backs. That can be a pure destroyer like Ndidi, it can be a regista kind of guy like Jorginho, or it can be more all-purpose guys like Fabinho and Kimmich.

I've not watched a lot of Busquet's at Barce recently, only just got access back to LaLiga TV. But he was pretty phenomenal at times during the Euros, breaking up play and orchestrating Spain's midfield. Surely he can't be off of people's list?

1 hour ago, Danny said:

I've not watched a lot of Busquet's at Barce recently, only just got access back to LaLiga TV. But he was pretty phenomenal at times during the Euros, breaking up play and orchestrating Spain's midfield. Surely he can't be off of people's list?

People I considered. 

Kante, but decided he's more box to box
Busquets 
Gorginho
Ndidi
Goretzka (box to box again)
Fernandinho
Milinkovic Savic 

• Subscriber
23 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Fabinho, Kimmich, Casemiro 

Rice and Philips xD Fuck me there's just no hope for some.

Obviously wasn’t being serious. Just boring everyone putting the same 3 😂.

Depends how you class people as 'defensive midfielders'. Seems like it's just classed as the deepest midfield player, if Jorginho is being included but Kante is not. When you look at AC Milan of the mid 2000s, Pirlo would be the deepest of their midfield three alongside Seedorf and Gattuso. But I wouldn't describe him as the defensive midfielder in that team, it would be Gattuso.

If you want to identify the top defensive midfielders, surely it comes down to what midfielder you would like to have in your team whilst the other team has the ball. And, for me, the answer is easily Kante. I want to win the ball higher up the pitch, I don't want to have to wait for the opposition to be well into my half of the pitch before my best player at winning the ball comes into play.

When more teams are playing their best passers of the ball deeper, you need to match up against them and not be sitting off with your attacking midfielder, who may get a lucky interception every so often, is the only one pressing that player. 

My top 3: Ndidi, Casemiro, Kimmich. 

Regarding the brazilian defensive midfielders mentioned on this thread, I'd put Casemiro above Fabinho. 

I've always found Gueye very underrated. I wouldn't say he's top 3, but he's in my top 10 for sure. 

I also really like Doucouré and Frenkie de Jong. 

As for young defensive midfielders, I'd mention Aurélien Tchouaméni (Monaco), Bruno Guimarães (Lyon) and Fede Valverde (Real Madrid). 

Archived