talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football positions

football forum

Inspired by Spike's take on defensive midfielders and in general which gets discussed quite often here that whose who. 

Positions that are extinct but people think they exist, have evolved, are labelled to a lot of players but only a few actually are, are least or most important in today's game.

All according to your opinion of course.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Would the role Inzaghi played during his time be considered extinct? I can't imagine too many players just hanging around the box anymore considering how dynamic you have to be at the top of the attacking block these days. 

There aren't too many traditional wingers these days. Not too many centre forwards powering home headers after a whipped in cross during open play.

Strikers are more like CAM's now, with link up play, and less like centre backs playing up front. Off the top of my head Dion Dublin, Chris Sutton & Paul Warhurst 3 of the more well known CB/ST's in the early years of the Premier League.

While the wingers can't just be pacy & cross the ball. They need to play through balls as clever as a CAM & score with the confidence of a striker. Hence why so many play inverted. Not many of them racing to the touchline before whipping over a thunderbolt of a cross someone just needs to get his head onto.

The 1 putting crosses in is usually the full back/wingback. And the only tangible difference I can see is 1 has 2 CBs & a DM behind, while the other has 3 CBs.

• 1 month later...

Wasn't sure where to put this and remembered this thread.

Why is there an unwritten rule that you can't play an LB at RB but plenty of RBs (or right footers) cover at LB? Something I heard brought up on a show I listened to today following last night's game.

I wouldn't mind trialing Tsimikas at RB for Liverpool given finding a back up to Trent is so difficult. If I'm not mistaken, Tsimikas isn't completely one footed and if you've got Henderson on the right of the midfield three it wouldn't be a huge issue if Tsimikas' tendancy was to come inside. Trent comes inside a lot anyway.

Can anyone think of any examples of LBs playing RB?

3 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Why is there an unwritten rule that you can't play an LB at RB but plenty of RBs (or right footers) cover at LB? Something I heard brought up on a show I listened to today following last night's game.

I wouldn't mind trialing Tsimikas at RB for Liverpool given finding a back up to Trent is so difficult. If I'm not mistaken, Tsimikas isn't completely one footed and if you've got Henderson on the right of the midfield three it wouldn't be a huge issue if Tsimikas' tendancy was to come inside. Trent comes inside a lot anyway.

I think it doesn't happen only because most people are right footed, so some just end up on the left, but players with left footedness just nearly always end up on the left. I think it's honestly as simple as that.

18 hours ago, LFCMike said:

The GOAT. Lahm. 

19 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Rapha Guerrero did it at the weekend when Meunier came off for Dortmund.  I've seen him pop over there a few times now.

Archived