football forum

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

I stopped watching at half time. We've had 9% possession in the 2nd half? xD

Really? Where did you get that stat from 

Just now, Cicero said:

Anyone is just a gamble as him atm. No top manager available would want to take over. 

The players do not like Arteta. At least get in somebody who isn’t going to fall out with all the players, somebody they will fight for. Somebody like Steve Bruce. 

6 minutes ago, Chickasaw said:

Everybody connected with Arsenal probably thought they were back after the 0-6 at WBA but it was one of 5 or 6 high scores and a different competition. They might do well in it though. Come on City, get a 6th.

No one thought that. It was a West Brom reserve team.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

This Amazon Documentary is going to have to be portrayed as a Comedy.

Depends how you look at it, for the Arsenal fans it should be quite a chilling horror. 

23 minutes ago, Rick said:

He has to go now. For who, I don’t know, but he can’t be left in charge any longer. 

To be fair any manager would have lost today with the players he had available. But the manor in which we lost was really bad. Their are decent managers who may be interested in us. Rodgers, gasperini maybe. Some people may ask why would he want to leave Atalanta but arsenal have money so he may be interested 

I actually do feel a bit sorry for arteta. He looks like he knows he will probably not be there much longer. He has come in and done the best he can but isnt good enough and doesnt know what to do which must be frustrating for him 

45 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I actually do feel a bit sorry for arteta. He looks like he knows he will probably not be there much longer. He has come in and done the best he can but isnt good enough and doesnt know what to do which must be frustrating for him 

I feel bad for him to... to an extent. I do think it was a bit overly arrogant to think he could just walk into his first job as a manager at one of the biggest clubs in the country simply because he'd worked with Pep for a few years.

I think appointing Arteta was always a gamble for Arsenal. And for Arteta himself. Because it's a massive job for even an experienced manager to build a team back into what they were... as the league has become more competitive since when Arsenal were one of the top 2 sides in the country.

I think Emery was doomed because he came in after Wenger - so unless he could immediately stop the rot at Arsenal and start taking them comfortably up into the top 4 (which would have been unrealistic to expect imo), I think he was always going to be a "transition manager." It's incredibly tough to step into the shoes of an actual legend.

To me the big gamble was getting a complete novice to management rather than getting someone with experience - because I think the job Arsenal are asking of their manager is a really tough job. If it fails, the better options they'd have to replace him will now likely be of a lower pedigree than they would have been after Emery...

And the gamble for Arteta is who on earth wants to give him another role in management now? Starting at the top and failing makes his stock as a manager almost down to 0 imo. He'll have to go back to being someone's assistant probably and have to try again - he's set his career back by taking the Arsenal job when he was absolutely not ready for it.

It's never nice to see someone gamble on themselves and fail spectacularly. I feel for him in that regard. But I do think he and Arsenal's board were maybe making an unrealistic bet where the odds were against them.

• The title was changed to Man City 5-0 Arsenal - Saturday 28th August, 2021
  • The topic was unpinned
2 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Which team could score 5 goals every game, especially without a number 9? :35_thinking:

No team could but the point to which I am alluding is pundits are saying City don't need Kane or another number nine because they're scoring so well without one. But this pace won't be maintained, a point the pundits seem to have overlooked.

5 minutes ago, Chickasaw said:

No team could but the point to which I am alluding is pundits are saying City don't need Kane or another number nine because they're scoring so well without one. But this pace won't be maintained, a point the pundits seem to have overlooked.

I agree, in the tougher games we are going to need a real striker who can bully a defense and give us another way to attack, we even struggled at times yesterday when Arsenal packed the box, we need more of an aerial threat 

Archived