• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea - Saturday 28th August, 2021

football forum

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Whiskey said:

Just to confirm, IMO it's a penalty and a red - it's just mad how Anthony Taylor can't seem to control a football match, just always seems to lose the plot. 

Thought it was only red when it is deliberate

It's a clear penalty and, therefore, a red. It's not that the ball bounced up onto his arm, it's his action after that. He pushes his arm into the ball and eases it away to stop it going in.

Taylor did lose control of the players, despite making the right decision. It's amazing - he can control a life-threatening situation to contribute in saving a player's life but he can't control a couple of strops.

• Subscriber

That was fun. Situations like that should always be penalty but not a red for me. Only the egregious Suarez vs Ghana-type deliberate handballs should be a straight red. That one couldn't have been more accidental.

Blatant penalty and according to the law it has to be a red. Think a lot of the commotion and frustration from our side, including the Chelsea fans is the harshness of the red card and not knowing the exact rule in those situations. I had to Google it myself. 

I’d been saying all half that James looked a bit suspect and it looks like that incident has cost us the game.

Just now, Whiskey said:

It was deliberate, he moves his arm towards and ball and pushes it away.

It's a reaction in a fraction of a second and it hit his arm straight of his leg... Ref didn't even watch the replay, pretty sure if that had been in the box and not on the line the decision would have been different.. 

• Subscriber

When it comes to red cards, you should give players the benefit of the doubt where possible. The rules might say it should be a red but I care more about the spirit of the game and I think a penalty is enough punishment unless it's clearly deliberate. All of that shit happened at 100 miles an hour there. It's the double jeopardy argument for me.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I'm not sure on the exact interpretation on the rule but a red card seems very harsh to me. 

13 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

That was fun. Situations like that should always be penalty but not a red for me. Only the egregious Suarez vs Ghana-type deliberate handballs should be a straight red. That one couldn't have been more accidental.

Reckon it would have been a non-issue had he not made the swinging motion towards the ball after it hit his knee. Instinct to do it but he paid the price. It's the correct decision from Taylor. 

10 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Ref made the decision based on a freeze frame... what?? should have watched the whole thing surely.. 

Yeah not a fan of that. Same happened with Perez against West Ham. While it was a red-card, in the context of it all, the first image the ref sees is the ankle planted on the shin. Instead of the whole incident. 

Maybe it's a 'guideline' refs are now using to speed up decisions and if that's the case, I think it's wrong.

• Administrator

Also, I'm not usually a fan of petty bookings but why was Salah not booked for blatantly kicking the ball away after the foul was given against him on Jorginho?

• The title was changed to Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea - Saturday 28th August, 2021
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived