talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea - Saturday 28th August, 2021

football forum

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that was a pretty poor second half from us. Lots of pressure but not too many good chances.

We looked more likely to score before the red card.

Chelsea defended so well, full credit to them. They are a very good team and I’m sure they’ll be competitive in every competition this season when they play with 11 men more often than not.

• Subscriber

Good defensive performance from Chelsea. Liverpool should be disappointed with how relatively little they created. I prefer Jota over Firmino overall but they probably missed Firmino in that second half for someone to receive the ball centrally and turn a dirty little ball around the corner.

On the penalty thought the ball first hits James thigh and bounces upwards, he moves his arm forward though thought it hit the underside of his upper arm rather than hand.

So not sure of the card and sending off.

First half for me was reasonably even not sure if Havertz had any idea of where his header was going though it looked good and of course counted. 

Thought Liverpool fouled twice to stop our breaks in the first and no-one booked...........

In the second, lost my stream for 20 mins and was not comfortable then watching as Liverpool were clearly on top and Chelsea using every trick to make it difficult for Liverpool. Azpi marking VVD in the box looked ugly and surprised not to see him carded.

Liverpool 13 fouls Chelsea 4 fouls.

Liverpool no cards, Chelsea, 1 red and 2 yellows.

I can't help but feel Liverpool would have preferred it if Chelsea had 11 on the pitch. Down to 10, it's basically made Chelsea's mind up to defend and take the point and Liverpool ran out of ideas for me.

Had James stayed on, Chelsea would have been more adventurous, less compact and there would have been a bit more space for Liverpool to attack.

Arsenal should watch this Chelsea performance and learn what mental strength is, because there was no way Chelsea were not going home empty handed today.

Although it was a deserved red card, I knew it was going to make the second half a right chore. Fair play to Chelsea, they defended well and Mendy made some saves, but they were only ‘okay’ saves. I don’t think he was made to really work that hard, and that’s poor from us.

For all of their running, the front three didn’t threaten much. Firmino going off just made a hard job even harder for us because he’s the one of the front three who can play those little flick balls in behind a defence. Klopp says a muscle injury, hopefully that’s nothing too bad and he is available for the team when we play Leeds. 

• Administrator
46 minutes ago, Waylander said:

Alonso is certainly a battler, thought Chilwell might have started this one yet Alonso was decent.

Chilwell is not someone you want when you want a battle or to show some fight.

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Even with a ST now this is still a huge issue. 

Lukaku should be played in on one or other of the first move but I don't think the second one is glaring. It'll take some time for the Chelsea midfield to get used to what Lukaku offers them in terms of the balls they can play in the final third.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Lukaku should be played in on one or other of the first move but I don't think the second one is glaring. It'll take some time for the Chelsea midfield to get used to what Lukaku offers them in terms of the balls they can play in the final third.

True but we have always seemingly made bad decisions in the final third... I could understand it more if they were going it alone with no support which is also another problem we have but when you have better options or we should be playing that ball a bit quicker we fail to do so time after time.. 

• The topic was unpinned

Was definitely a penalty & I think what at first glance seems a harsh but unavoidable red card.

But if that happens anywhere else he's not taking that body shape & stance. He lets it bounce behind him.

And further, if he was properly trained to be defending a goal-line his hands would have been held behind his back & he'd try to save it with his body, head, knee, whatever. That's the natural body position for anyone trained up to be that guy on the post.

So no Thomas Tuchel. This neutral has little sympathy for your resentment of the decision. Just make a note somewhere & coach basic goal line defence. In the day & age of VAR.

Archived