talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea - Saturday 28th August, 2021

football forum

I said to my dad at halftime that I didn't have confidence in this team with ten men. By that I meant that when you go back to the earlier teams under Roman, with Cech, Terry, Lampard etc, even when they went down to ten men you felt we had a chance of getting something from the game or even still winning it. This team has come a long way under Tuchel but at the interval I still didn't have any confidence in this current crop of players, with my mind going back to last season (against the same opposition under Lampard) when Christensen got sent off at Stamford Bridge on the stroke of half time, Liverpool went on to win 2-0. Then the West Brom game last season at Stamford Bridge (this time under Tuchel) where we completely lost control and ending up shipping 5 to West Brom at home. They proved me wrong though on Saturday.

Klopp was spot on after the game though, it didn't change our structure at all, just meant we dropped off deeper and meant in fact that there was probably less space for Liverpool. The problem though more for us, was that the pressure was always going to be constant at some points and when that happens, there's always tends to be a lapse of concentration somewhere and you end up conceding, just from not getting enough respite and it becomes a test of concentration, discipline and stamina. That's what impressed me most about us on Saturday, the fact we showed a lot of strength in those areas, with everyone defending impeccably. 

Jorginho's and Kovacic's ability on the ball, composure, technique under pressure and ability to retain possession helped us also and in this area they are great assets for any team.

It's time to hold my hands up and say that a lot of our defenders have been incredible since Tuchel came in, Rudiger one of the best out there on current form, particularly when you take into account what he has provided with mentality and perhaps leadership as well. I do think the system offers them all good protection though, you look at Christensen for example in the centre it's not often you see him isolated or under immense pressure, the same for a lot of the defenders back there. That's credit to the system I guess but I'm still taking all their performances with a pinch of salt, particularly remembering how good Luiz looked under Conte in a similar defensive structure. 

Overall, regarding title talk, I think we'll be up there and we should be but I think we'll finish just short, with the games against teams outside the top six perhaps costing us. Even with Lukaku's arrival I still think we're missing something in attack. Hopefully the likes of Ziyech, Pulisic etc can step up.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Think our attack is fine personally. Just the same habit of choosing the wrong option in the final third, ala the footage above. 

Another CM needed way more than Kounde. 

Yeah, I don't necessarily mean in terms of personnel, more stuff like that, can we get enough out of the attacking options we have.

5 hours ago, Dan said:

Read a suggestion about incidents like the James one - in that instance, give the goal and move on.

I don’t agree when it’s a deliberate denial of a goal. He scooped the ball with his arm, he has to go for me. Or else you’re gonna just have people doing a Suarez, and hoping their keeper saves the pen. 

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Rick said:

I don’t agree when it’s a deliberate denial of a goal. He scooped the ball with his arm, he has to go for me. Or else you’re gonna just have people doing a Suarez, and hoping their keeper saves the pen. 

There'd be no penalty. That's the point. They give the goal and just move on.

@Dan

Yeah, could make sense.

I think the Reece James incident is slightly different as in that situation your instinct or even fight or flight just takes over in order to save the goal as it happens so quickly, it's deliberate but just natural instinct to do that. How much space you allow for natural instinct to determine the seriousness and deliberateness of an action is another story but overall that law to issue a red card in that case does seem harsh.

Those incidents rarely happen mind. The only one that comes to mind off the top of my head is Suarez at the 2010 World Cup. In that instance, the red card seems a lot more deserving and justified given the deliberate nature of it, added with the magnitude of the game and what it meant for the encounter.

When you start working in the lines of deliberateness and instinct and whatever though, you allow for ambiguity which makes the decisions more difficult in some cases. I guess other decisions and incidents involve that though anyway.

24 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

@Dan

Yeah, could make sense.

I think the Reece James incident is slightly different as in that situation your instinct or even fight or flight just takes over in order to save the goal as it happens so quickly, it's deliberate but just natural instinct to do that. How much space you allow for natural instinct to determine the seriousness and deliberateness of an action is another story but overall that law to issue a red card in that case does seem harsh.

Those incidents rarely happen mind. The only one that comes to mind off the top of my head is Suarez at the 2010 World Cup. In that instance, the red card seems a lot more deserving and justified given the deliberate nature of it, added with the magnitude of the game and what it meant for the encounter.

When you start working in the lines of deliberateness and instinct and whatever though, you allow for ambiguity which makes the decisions more difficult in some cases. I guess other decisions and incidents involve that though anyway.

Phil Neville did the same in a Merseyside derby. Didn't Steven Taylor handball one on the line and roll around on the floor as if it hit him in the bollocks or something?

Archived