talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

"They Must Win The League Now"

Has there ever been so many teams that have done business in the transfer market where you think "they have to win the league this season".

Chelsea have spent £300m in 2 seasons and have topped their team off with Romelu Lukaku, City have just spent £100m on Jack Grealish on what is already a side that knows how to win the league, United have just brought in Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo. And then of course Liverpool still have Salah and Mane, plus Thiago. Liverpool definitely have the least pressure on them to win the league out of the 4 mentioned, after last season and the lack of spending this season they are essentially working with the same first eleven as the last 2/3 years.

There's 3 teams where if they don't take it to the final few games of the season, or look good in the Champions League, their gaffer could well be in for the sack.

This could well end up being an anti-climax of a season, but based on the signings alone, it feels like we're in for one of the best seasons this league has had to offer in a long time.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our first 11 can compete with any of these lot. Shame it’s a squad game and we are behind all three in that sense. 

City - sign Grealish

Chelsea - sign Lukaku

Utd - sign Sancho & Ronaldo

Liverpool - won’t be sending Harvey Elliott back out on loan. 

If we finish above those three this season it’ll be a miracle and our best achievement. 

• Administrator

Which of those managers of those clubs gets sacked first then for relatively underachieving? 

With the squads they all now have, every single one should be aiming not just for the league, but at least a double of some kind. 

League is bare minimum. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Which of those managers of those clubs gets sacked first then for relatively underachieving? 

With the squads they all now have, every single one should be aiming not just for the league, but at least a double of some kind. 

League is bare minimum. 

Tuchel will definitely be the first to go if it all goes to pot for Chelsea. 

10 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Chelsea, Man Utd and City all have pressure on them to at least win one of the league or the CL.

I can't remember a time where 3 English clubs could legitimately have that expectation put on them in the same season. It's mad. There is also the chance that Liverpool could win both as you came close to doing before, but with half the pressure xD

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Rick said:

Tuchel will definitely be the first to go if it all goes to pot for Chelsea. 

I'm thinking Ole and then they'll use that as an opportunity to actually get an elite manager in place. 

8 minutes ago, Rick said:

Our first 11 can compete with any of these lot. Shame it’s a squad game and we are behind all three in that sense. 

City - sign Grealish

Chelsea - sign Lukaku

If we finish above those three this season it’ll be a miracle and our best achievement. 

Liverpool signed a player for the gaping CB hole in their squad. I think anything else is a bonus rather than essential.

On the topic, obviously only two can win the big two competitions but I think making those sorts of signings you have to be at least seriously challenging. I think there was that sort of pressure on Liverpool after the Alisson, Fabinho and Keita summer.

I think Tuchel would be the first to go because we don't spare anyone no matter who they are or what they have won if performances dip beyond a certain level, having said that if we are fighting on all fronts and taking it to the bitter end and lose out narrowly then that might be a different matter, It won't be like we underperformed only that we lost to a much better side/sides.. Only if it's obvious we are taking steps back and not even at the races then Abramovich will order his executioner to step forth and do the dirty deed... 

Pep will be safe no matter what... He will never be pushed by the club, the only way he will be gone is if he decides to leave for pastures new.. 

Solskjaer I am not sure about... I don't know how much rope they are prepared to give him?? He is keeping United up there in amongst it but if he doesn't win something with that team then the danger is they will become the new/old Arsenal.. floating about in the top 4 bringing in the cash but with no realistic chance of silverware.. 

36 minutes ago, Rick said:

City - sign Grealish

Chelsea - sign Lukaku

And I was mocked when I said one injury is enough to hamper Liverpool.

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

And I was mocked when I said one injury is enough to hamper Liverpool.

Nevermind, only a centre back was essential. We’ve got Minamino & Origi to challenge Salah & Mane for places. 

6 minutes ago, Rick said:

Nevermind, only a centre back was essential. We’ve got Minamino & Origi to challenge Salah & Mane for places. 

Why do you need someone to challenge for their places? You have four top players who will play most of the games between them.

I'd like one more in up top who can start being integrated and learning the ropes like I'm sure we'll see with Konate and Elliott for example this season. Do I think it's essential and makes us more likely to win the league or Champions League? No.

40 minutes ago, Danny said:

I can't remember a time where 3 English clubs could legitimately have that expectation put on them in the same season. It's mad. There is also the chance that Liverpool could win both as you came close to doing before, but with half the pressure xD

I don’t think we’ve got the depth to realistically expect to compete for the title. Having said that, we had a horrific injury crisis where we literally had our worst period of form since existing as a football club… and we still came third. So if we stay healthy, I guess anything is possible.

The CL we can give it a go as long as we’ve got fans at Anfield, imo.

But clubs that finished above us spending shitloads of money and getting high profile signings mean they should be aiming to win the league - and imo if they don’t they should view that as a failure. Meanwhile you’ve got the CL champions strengthening so they’re not so shit in the league and can contend.

All the pressure should be on them, imo. We addressed our injury prone CB issue by signing an injury prone CB - so the way I see it, if we go on a good cup run and come top 4 that’s pretty decent considering what the competition has done this season and we’re just trying to keep our core squad together.

6 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Why do you need someone to challenge for their places? You have four top players who will play most of the games between them.

I'd like one more in up top who can start being integrated and learning the ropes like I'm sure we'll see with Konate and Elliott for example this season. Do I think it's essential and makes us more likely to win the league or Champions League? No.

Mane, Salah & Firmino are all 29 years old. Apart from Jota, where is the future? We have had the same front three for 4 years, and we have been VERY lucky that they have all remained injury free. 

You absolutely need to start looking at who can come in and push these guys as they start to get older. Our squad is starting to age, a lot of first team players are the wrong side of 26…we need youth and we need quality or else what are we here to do, just make up the numbers? This is Liverpool ffs, can we stop acting like some pack of penny pinchers, we’ve got money but owners who are too greedy to use it. Yeah 

Standing still in this climate, especially this fucking window, is moving backwards. Just watching our rivals strengthen their squads while we tempt fate once again. 

56 minutes ago, Rick said:

City - sign Grealish

Chelsea - sign Lukaku

If we finish above those three this season it’ll be a miracle and our best achievement

Reading that last statement would lead me to think you consider Liverpool massive underdogs.

I'm not here to say anyone is right or wrong but your club has big players back. Your first XI when fit are unbelievable, still a title winning team in my eyes.

I don't think you rate your side enough personally. Feels like because the others around you have made marquee signings that its blindsided you to what you already had.

I get you will be concerned with squad depth but as first XI's go, not many can match yours.

Don't forget, you essentially have a midfield of Thiago, Fabinho and Henderson now everyone is fit, that's not going to be second best in many games.

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

Mane, Salah & Firmino are all 29 years old. Apart from Jota, where is the future? We have had the same front three for 4 years, and we have been VERY lucky that they have all remained injury free. 

You absolutely need to start looking at who can come in and push these guys as they start to get older. Our squad is starting to age, most first team players are 28…we need youth and we need quality or else what are we here to do, just make up the numbers? 

Standing still in this climate, especially this fucking window, is moving backwards. Just watching our rivals strengthen their squads while we tempt fate once again. 

Yeah they're 29 so still a decent number of years left yet, I certainly think that's the case with Mane and Salah anyway. 

I've acknowledged that Liverpool need to start thinking about what's coming up after the current crop but it's not going to make us more likely to win one of the big ones this season.

Why have we been very lucky they've had very few injuries between them? Not every footballer has a long term injury during their career ffs.

5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Reading that last statement would lead me to think you consider Liverpool massive underdogs.

I'm not here to say anyone is right or wrong but your club has big players back. Your first XI when fit are unbelievable.

I don't think you rate your side enough personally. Feels like because the others around you have made marquee signings that its blindsided you to what you already had.

Don't forget, you essentially have a midfield of Thiago, Fabinho and Henderson now everyone is fit, that's not going to be second best in many games.

Like I said, our first 11 puts up a fight against any of those three teams. But our squad pales in comparison. We have a lot of players who have had their own injury records in our first team, so it’s unrealistic to expect that they are going to reliably play the majority of the season. You can’t hang your hat on the fitness of some of them. 

I don’t expect us to go out and sign Mbappe, or Kane or Haaland. We won’t do that obviously, but wanting better than Origi & Minamino on the bench isn’t a lot to ask. That’s always been my main issue with this team the last two years. It’s not the first 11, it’s the squad. 

Man City obviously will be difficult to displace from top 2, let alone top spot. Pep will leave when he chooses to.

Chelsea, look the most likely to challenge them. Tuchel at risk if they finish 3rd or lower & look 'bad' while doing so.

Liverpool could do. Sometimes the settled squad does best. But Jurgen 'first title winning manager since 89-90 Dalglish' Klopp stays even if they finish 6th or 7th, nevermind 3rd or 4th.

Man United, Ole will get generous time, as long as Top 4 is achieved. I'm not sure how many Man United fans or players are thinking win or bust right now.

In one way, yes, it's all unpredictable. In another, it's the same old story.

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

Yeah they're 29 so still a decent number of years left yet, I certainly think that's the case with Mane and Salah anyway. 

I've acknowledged that Liverpool need to start thinking about what's coming up after the current crop but it's not going to make us more likely to win one of the big ones this season.

Why have we been very lucky they've had very few injuries between them? Not every footballer has a long term injury during their career ffs.

You don’t think us having more quality in the squad makes us more likely to compete? What sort of logic is that? 

Lucky that Salah and Mane haven’t even picked up a knock for the last 2 or three seasons. Imagine if we had lost Salah last season for any period of time? We would have been massively fucked because Mane & Firmino weren’t pulling their weight one bit but were unstoppable because there’s fuck all on the bench to replace them with. Mane could have scored a hat trick of own goals against Everton and he would still have started over Origi next game.  

Difference is managers. Klopp, Pep, Tuchel......Ole. 

United certainly have the quality, but we have seen it time and time again from Ole that during crunch time in important matches, he is either very naïve tactically or gets out coached. Constantly. I stated a year ago, he steers the ship. That's it. 

Liverpool have the best starting XI in the league. Beyond that, their depth is poor compared to ours, City's and United's.

No idea how this season will pan out, but anything less than a league title challenge and good showing in Europe, is poor from us. 

36 minutes ago, Rick said:

You don’t think us having more quality in the squad makes us more likely to compete? What sort of logic is that? 

Lucky that Salah and Mane haven’t even picked up a knock for the last 2 or three seasons. Imagine if we had lost Salah last season for any period of time? We would have been massively fucked because Mane & Firmino weren’t pulling their weight one bit but were unstoppable because there’s fuck all on the bench to replace them with. Mane could have scored a hat trick of own goals against Everton and he would still have started over Origi next game.  

No one that Liverpool could realistically sign would improve their chances of winning the league because they're not getting much game time ahead of the current four. You either need to sign someone who is good enough to displace one of the current four or someone who is currently starting regularly elsewhere and convince them that sitting on the bench for a lot of the season would be a good thing. The first one isn't happening and the second one is a difficult one.

I agree that Liverpool absolutely do have to start planning for the future given the age of some of the squad but do you think that they've not thought of these things? Or do you think they'll get to 2024 and realise 'fucking hell, Salah and Mane are 32, we better sign someone to replace them'?

It's almost like you wait for another club to do some business so you can moan about Liverpool not signing anyone. We all already know that Liverpool will wait for the right player to become available. It's worked pretty well and is why we've had a very similar eleven of top class footballers for a few seasons now.

I’ve been very consistent with my views on the squad and transfers for a while. Regardless of who is signing for who, we need better than Origi & Minamino & Ox, and it shouldn’t be seen as difficult to do that since all three of them have been very average for us for a while now. You think Origi gets five years of mediocrity at Chelsea or City?

We’re a big club that needs to start acting like it. Loyalty should only be given to those who warrant it. 

49 minutes ago, Rick said:

I’ve been very consistent with my views on the squad and transfers for a while. Regardless of who is signing for who, we need better than Origi & Minamino & Ox, and it shouldn’t be seen as difficult to do that since all three of them have been very average for us for a while now. You think Origi gets five years of mediocrity at Chelsea or City?

We’re a big club that needs to start acting like it. Loyalty should only be given to those who warrant it. 

Feel like you’re doing a disservice to the players you have. Ox is still a very good back up player and as far as I’m aware was fit the back end of last season. Jota, Chamberlain and Elliot isn’t bad cover for a front 3 that will likely play most games this season.

Milner, Keita, Jones and Minamino isn’t bad back up for your midfield 3. And now you also have your star centre back plus Konate in the mix in defence.

Your first 11 probably won’t need to rotate a lot this season and tbh the depth you have considering that is pretty good.

Look at Man City, they have a big squad but unhappy forwards because they’re rotated too much.

Archived