talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Artificial Intelligence & Robotics

football forum

• Subscriber
On 09/11/2018 at 19:55, Mel81x said:

I'd imagine digital intonation wouldn't allow for something to be created that way. It's quite hard to make those kinds of language dialect trees vocalize themselves when you've got spoken language. And of all the languages in the world I'd imagine Mandarin being the hardest because to the way context is actually calculated. Still, it is quite a feat and they've now started to use something which I think has good applications for news networks too. The real question is whats next?

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/2172141/chinas-brightest-children-are-being-recruited-develop-ai-killer?ch=10&share=ca5b1d6e

Ta da! Not surprising at all, is it?...

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, nudge said:

I will say im not surprised at all by this. I think its only natural they went this way because lets be honest exploring all avenues is the only way to advance weaponry and AI. No one is willing to let kids do it so China said fuck it we will. I think they're to develop something quite surreal in the next few years and I believe S.Korea wont be far behind them either because their AI + Robotics development is quite fascinating.

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I will say im not surprised at all by this. I think its only natural they went this way because lets be honest exploring all avenues is the only way to advance weaponry and AI. No one is willing to let kids do it so China said fuck it we will. I think they're to develop something quite surreal in the next few years and I believe S.Korea wont be far behind them either because their AI + Robotics development is quite fascinating.

What do you think it could be? I know it's all speculation and wild guesses, but I'm really intrigued to hear your thoughts on it. As in, how surreal are we talking about here? :D 

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, nudge said:

What do you think it could be? I know it's all speculation and wild guesses, but I'm really intrigued to hear your thoughts on it. As in, how surreal are we talking about here? :D 

I think AI has lots of good practical applications weapon-tech-wise or not here are some scenarios I can see it being used.

• Surgery - 9 out of 10 chances are that a human can make a mistake during invasive surgery and it does happen which why medicine is probably the best covered business by insurances. Take the human out of the equation and couple AI with robotics to perform the surgery. 
  • Prosthesis - One of the biggest problems with modern-day prosthetic surgery and replacement is their inability to adapt to situations fast enough and more importantly their inability to adapt to the wearer and his/her needs. This is where AI, once again coupled with bionics/robotics, can start to make a huge difference. Take the simple example of leg replacements and the bionics involved in keeping pressure, stability and precision for things like foot movement. Today, this is achieved by sheer mechanics that doesn't allow room for too much beyond what physics has in store for the wearer. But imagine if the AI was able to work with the prosthetic to offer things that our regular limbs could do like tension management of limbs to cushion falls or automatic prevention of discomfort by administering the drugs based on synapse reading and user monitoring. The applications here are endless and while most of what we read is really geared towards AI being by itself this coupling is where we'll start to see the biggest breakthroughs in the technology.
  • Medical Care - People who require round the clock medical care generally end up getting a nurse/caregiver to be with them to do things like monitor their well-being, administer drugs, ensure that in the case of an emergency the patient gets the best care possible. But if you had an AI that was capable of doing all this and couple it with the fact that it never goes off or takes a break then you could get these machines to start taking care of people with a better chances of success.

Now for the outlandish stuff

• Accident Prevention Systems - Imagine you're in a high speed car accident and need medical care. The chances of an ambulance reaching you via the road is directly dependent on the road being free to allow that response unit to get to you. Furthermore, a response unit is a waiting system, it gets activated when the accident is reported, not when it occurs. If you had a system that monitored highways and acted on the scene to remove victims of the accidents from the scene and even administer medical-aid then you give the response unit a chance to get there and the victims of the crash to survive as well. 
  • Troop Deployment and Enforcement Systems - The biggest problem with deployments in any war is that the core system for deployment isn't making the decisions for safety. Targets aren't really recognizable even if tech is provided because lets face it we're only human and even if a targeting system could find all the targets its not smart enough to make a decision on the level of threat posed or provide instant counter-measures to ensure the deployment block is safe from harm. If the system was able to make those decisions and do any of the following - call for support, neutralize threats, provide auto-shielding then countries and military personnel would be much safer and loss of troops and lives would be reduced. Furthermore, the ability to deploy troops anywhere on a field with the minimum loss of life could be achieved with more combat experience thereby increasing the chances to win.
  • Education and Learning - This one probably has the highest benefit out of the lot for me. AI could improve learning by catering to students based on evaluation and circumspection of their learning patterns. For e.g. students who excel at Math but tend to do poorly at Literature could be given specialized learning course patterns that enforce the weaker of the two learning curves using historical information from first-contact to goal fruition. Imagine a teacher that is always around to help whenever necessary and has the ability to change its teaching pattern based on your learning skill tree. 

Most if not all the stuff I have mentioned isn't really science-fiction. Robotics is progressing at an alarming rate and AI in its infancy is capable of making smart decisions where necessary to re-enforce the physical demands of the robotics. The question isn't really when anymore, the question is who is going to do this. When I look at things like what MIT is doing with prosthesis, B.Dynamics is doing with robotics and now what China has done with an AI that is able to mimic human expression through speech I don't think its too far fetched to think that most of this will come in the next decade ahead or earlier.

There are far more creative things like space exploration, setting up colonies based on habitat analysis and reconstruction, safety management in apartments, crowd control during riots, etc. but those will all come in due course once the systems developed start to learn and improve based on their first-contact to them being able to make decisions on their own.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Robot soldiers and 'invisible' jets to fight future US wars amid China WW3 fears

Rachel Endley            5 hrs ago

BBPOtD2.img?h=532&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© Ghost Robotics/Youtube The Minitaur robot could one day be on the battlefield

A war battled out with robot soldiers, 'invisible' jets and lasers that shoot missiles from the sky may sound like something out of a sci-fi film - but this is already becoming a reality.

At a sprawling high-security army research base dedicated to reshaping the US military over the next 50 years, scientists are preparing for high-tech wars of the future over fears of an impending World War 3 with China.

The US Army Research Laboratory (ARL), based at the Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland, is creating emerging tactical offensive warfare in cyber and electronics, with the tagline of "making today’s army and the next army obsolete."

The advance of artificial intelligence brings with it the prospect of robot-soldiers - like the battlefield 'Minitaur' -battling alongside humans, self-directed drones and even wars being 'fought out' in space.

Other weapons reportedly under development in the US include hypersonics, which are missiles that travel at five times the speed of sound and directed energy weapons such as lasers that could one day zap missiles, drones, aircraft and satellites silently from a distance.

BBPOvIR.img?h=532&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© Credits: Lockheed Martin

“You [could] kill multiple inbound missiles with a single laser,” says Trey Obering, former head of the Missile Defense Agency told the Financial Times.

These efforts to fast-forward the US Army into the future come as many believe the prospect of full-blown war between technologically advanced and nuclear-armed superpowers are back.

“[China] is building the most capable and well-funded military in the world, after our own,” says the US national security strategy, issued in December.

BBPOOLx.img?h=799&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

3D illustration of science fiction scene with ominous military robots surrounding lone human astronaut

"The document accuses China of spreading “features of its authoritarian system” and rejects Beijing’s protestations that it has sought only a “peaceful rise”.

In January US defence secretary Jim Mattis warned at the launch of the national defence strategy that the US was losing its military edge “in every domain of warfare”, citing air, land, sea, space, and cyberspace.

BBPOr8x.img?h=532&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© Credits: LockheedMartinVideos /Youtube

This resulted in Congress voting through more military spending, which was $700bn this year - eclipsing China’s defence budget by more than three to one.

However, by 2035, some in the US believe that it may be unable to stop Beijing if it launches military operations off the Chinese mainland after president Xi Jinping has already developed a barrage of precision-guided missiles the US has never fought before.

But many in the US military are confident they are too far ahead of China for them to catch up.

BBPOOMq.img?h=400&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

One machine already in place is the F-35 stealth jet that enables its pilot to “see through the skin of the aeroplane” using six infrared cameras, according to test pilot Billie Flynn.

“It’s Tony Stark, it’s Iron Man," he added.

It can jam enemy radars via electronic attack, carries its weapons - two missiles and two bombs - and fuel inside to minimise detectable heat output and is shaped and painted to avoid radar detection

BBPOmbu.img?h=532&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© Credits: Getty Images

But its real strength is as a flying data-collection and distribution centre that can move in and out of enemy territory undetected collecting and distributing the important data that it can use against them.

“We fly now in a sanctuary where no one sees us but we see absolutely everybody, everything that exists,” says Flynn, who adds that he can see can see 300km to the horizon at 9,000m in the air.

More than 2,000 of the jets are due to be manufactured over the next two decades, including 330 already delivered.

BBPON9k.img?h=1066&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

© DigtialStorm Robot Futuristic Police armored mech weapon with action background

Fears have risen over space attacks over beliefs that Russia and China are developing ways to disable (US) satellites.

Rick Ambrose, who leads Lockheed Martin’s space division, says satellites need to become “much smarter” after US satellites came under attack in August.

The attack played out from behind computer screens, sparked fears that World War 3 could also be played out in space.

BBPOtDb.img?h=532&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© Credits: FAZRY ISMAIL/EPA-EFE/REX/Shutterstock

Potential attacks could see jammers block satellites that the military depend on for intelligence and navigation and cyber warfare could target electricity grids, water networks, financial systems, hospitals and the families of military commanders.

In response, US president Donald Trump decided to split off space as a separate, sixth branch of the military, which has carried out space exercises already.

“We have to be able to fight,” General John Raymond, head of Air Force Space Command, told a conference in September. “I am convinced that if we are up against a peer adversary, we are going to have to fight for space superiority.”

BBPOWMZ.img?h=597&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Closeup swat soldier in futuristic tactical outfit armor and weapons standing on a science fiction background with glowing lights effect.

Mattist acknowledges that some things may have so profound an effect that he cannot be sure how war will change, but one thing he is sure of is that eventually, robots will take over.

He added: “For the near future, there’s going to be a significant human element, obviously. Maybe for 10 years, maybe for 15,” he tells me. “But not for 100.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/technology/robot-soldiers-and-invisible-jets-to-fight-future-us-wars-amid-china-ww3-fears/ar-BBPOjCl?li=BBoPWjQ

• Sad 1

• Subscriber

At the rate this tech is moving along I think this isn't very far plus its economically a no-brainer for any nation considering you don't have to really feed or  take care of these kinds of weapons. Fun times ahead. My bet is on the next step to be an exo-skeletal system for deployment purposes that is 100% unmanned and has multi-terrain maneuverability with sight clearance options because ... why would you want to leave anyone or anything alive anyways when the risk factor is so low.

• Sad 1

• Subscriber

Just read something pretty interesting. Apparently, Lexus shot an ad using a script written by AI which learned from 15 years' worth of TV ads that won Cannes Lions International awards for creativity and was fed with emotional response information to car ads from a MindX experiment. The script it came up with is surprisingly coherent and a bit eerie. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

I like how IBM Watson was used here. It's quite interesting what actually led to the ad being made as well, how they used emotion driven action responses to build a system that then took all the data that was fed to it and came up with the script it did. Shows how easy it is to manipulate us I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
8 hours ago, Mel81x said:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/12/unite-day2-2/

The day won't be far where the AI will do all the work and pass all the data back for people to make decisions.

AI with advanced autonomy that doesn't need to be micromanaged constantly will be a huge breakthrough in space exploration. Better data collection, more accuracy and effectiveness, better productivity, less risks in challenging environments where delayed communications with human control team on Earth is a norm.

I've read a while ago that one particular area of AI development that JPL and the likes are really looking into is preparing AI to recognise, analyse and interpret the unknown in new environments where no known model of normality can be built in advance due to lack of data, thus enabling AI to build such models from scratch based on their own observations. Sounds very...intuitive and human-like hehe. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, nudge said:

I've read a while ago that one particular area of AI development that JPL and the likes are really looking into is preparing AI to recognise, analyse and interpret the unknown in new environments where no known model of normality can be built in advance due to lack of data, thus enabling AI to build such models from scratch based on their own observations. Sounds very...intuitive and human-like hehe. 

I think that's going to be the eventuality here, train the AI to develop answers quickly so that it can adapt to new uncharted environments faster. Kind of reminds me of the first Star Trek where Voyager comes back smarter after being in space for a long time. I don't think its very far away either, navigation is certainly possible as Boston Dynamics has shown and now all you have to do is couple that with some logic that allows the system to adapt faster and the best part is that there is no  casualty of any kind other than a machine getting destroyed. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

China is planning to build a deep sea base for unmanned submarine science and defence operations in the South China Sea, a centre that might become the first artificial intelligence colony on Earth. 

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/2174738/beijing-plans-ai-atlantis-south-china-sea-without-human-sight

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

theabyss.jpg

Dammit, swallowed my whole post :(. Anyways the short of it is this, China is not doing this just for furthering science but also to get a better stronghold on that part of the sea which has been worrysome. What will be fascinating is all the engineers will learn about building structures and maintaining them in hard to build places. Couple that with a learning AI that can adapt itself to those conditions and this just adds one more good thing to take into space when and if colonization ever becomes a reality.

Edited by Mel81x
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/06/2017 at 03:05, Eco said:

I have been doing some reading, and listening to different podcasts on this topic, and the invitable future that we face where certain jobs will become obsolete for humans, as machines with A.I. will be safer, quicker, and just more efficient (and cheaper!).

Of course, more jobs will likely open up, at least that's the assumption, but to this day I can't think of a lot areas in which new jobs will be created if/when this really starts become the norm.

Does any of this ever freak you out? With having a baby on the way, I have caught myself numerous times thinking what kind of world my daughter will have.

So, discuss all things A.I., pros and cons.

Interesting topic. Honestly though is one i almost prefer not to think about. Without a doubt it creates some unease for me as a parent as I struggle to resolve increasing automation and artificial intelligence with projections of a 15 billion world population.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, nudge said:

"They then ran two experiments to test the algorithm’s performance. In the first one, it had to infer the alliances of players in a video game by watching several sequences of game play. In the second, it had to predict the players’ actions in the same video game to see whether it truly understood each player’s motivations. It wasn’t trained for either task."

I suppose the next step is to get the AI to then make tactical decisions on what to do based on the social interaction with the elements it was observing. I find this particularly interesting because just the other day I was making fun of HAL and how it lost its marbles and killed everyone aboard the ship. In the same joking vein, can you imagine an AI throwing a tantrum and suddenly deciding that the social aspect it was most interested in was building relationships with other systems to eliminate the one it thought was a risk. Fun times.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

"They then ran two experiments to test the algorithm’s performance. In the first one, it had to infer the alliances of players in a video game by watching several sequences of game play. In the second, it had to predict the players’ actions in the same video game to see whether it truly understood each player’s motivations. It wasn’t trained for either task."

I suppose the next step is to get the AI to then make tactical decisions on what to do based on the social interaction with the elements it was observing. I find this particularly interesting because just the other day I was making fun of HAL and how it lost its marbles and killed everyone aboard the ship. In the same joking vein, can you imagine an AI throwing a tantrum and suddenly deciding that the social aspect it was most interested in was building relationships with other systems to eliminate the one it thought was a risk. Fun times.

Yes, the first thing I thought of after reading the article was if we really want to teach AI to basically build cliques with the tribal us-against-them mentality... I mean, what could possibly go wrong... :ph34r: xD 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
Just now, nudge said:

Yes, the first thing I thought of after reading the article was if we really want to teach AI to basically build cliques with the tribal us-against-them mentality... I mean, what could possibly go wrong... :ph34r: xD 

Just a little death and genocide, you know business as usual.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
Just now, nudge said:

I mean we're basically just designing the AI after our own image... 

All the bad things aside you're right, we are trying to create something similar to a consciousness that can make decisions like a human being and for all the easy computational system logic you can give an AI the hardest thing to make it do is make human-like decisions. At the end of day it will learn and never repeat its mistakes again but then it loses some of its human nature which is why I feel like this is all just for betterment of co-existing systems rather than being a mimic of tribal nature systems. If the system did decide, however, to start eradicating other systems because it felt that they were threats to progression or because they just weren't necessary anymore that would certainly align with human thinking and how progression can sometimes mean discarding what isn't working anymore.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/24/starcraft-ii-playing-ai-alphastar-takes-out-pros-undefeated/

This little trend of AIs playing and beating pro players is all well and good but I think they should just open a tournament where AIs battle AIs and stop mixing them with humans. Its clear that they'll always have the upper hand after a few days anyways since they learn so quickly. Having said all that its still funny how the AI only picked one race and has mastered it quite thoroughly. 

• Upvote 1

• The title was changed to Artificial Intelligence & Robotics