talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Artificial Intelligence & Robotics

football forum

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

That's amazing.... They could be used for Planet exploration in the future... 

Parcel/Pizza delivery service an option... 

Military use highly probable.. 

Yeah, so many uses, yet will probably end up predominantly in combat. 

On 17/08/2021 at 07:10, nudge said:

Yeah, so many uses, yet will probably end up predominantly in combat. 

Yeah my first thought was "this looks pretty cool"

and my next thought was "one day we'll be hearing about how a squad of robot soldiers slaughtered a village somewhere for no reason whatsoever"

• Sad 1

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah my first thought was "this looks pretty cool"

and my next thought was "one day we'll be hearing about how a squad of robot soldiers slaughtered a village somewhere for no reason whatsoever"

That, and then also Westworld-like sexrobots in amusement parks. 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Have you ever thought about the sanitation that would be required at Delos's theme parks with all those sexbots.

I haven't before, but thanks to you, I will now xD I bet they're still cleaner than some human hookers in a brothel, to be honest. Self-cleaning internal mechanisms? Automatic desinfection after each guest? Endless possibilities... xD 

18 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Have you ever thought about the sanitation that would be required at Delos's theme parks with all those sexbots.

8 minutes ago, nudge said:

I haven't before, but thanks to you, I will now xD I bet they're still cleaner than some human hookers in a brothel, to be honest. Self-cleaning internal mechanisms? Automatic desinfection after each guest? Endless possibilities... xD 

Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't wait until they were full up then just threw them away..... 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

That, and then also Westworld-like sexrobots in amusement parks. 

48 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Great. All I have in my head now are those fembots from Austin Powers. 

Thanks for that. ¬¬

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
10 hours ago, Mel81x said:

While I definitely agree that there's a lot of potentially dangerous implications in the use of AI, and things like facial recognition, biometrical idenitifcation, general surveillance, categorising people based on their behaviour, (social scoring systems) pose a huge threat to socal freedoms, this moratorium sounds just as vague and pointless as the UN. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

180831-beer-full-1440x689.jpg

How an AI finished Beethoven’s last symphony and what that means for the future of music

Computer scientists have teamed up with historians, musicologists and composers to teach an artificial intelligence to compose like Beethoven.

When he died in 1827 aged 56, Ludwig van Beethoven left his 10th symphony unfinished. Only a few handwritten notes briefly detailing his plans for the piece have survived, with most just being incomplete ideas or fragments of themes or melodies.

Now, a multidisciplinary team of computer scientists at Rutgers University-based start-up Playform AI have trained an artificial intelligence to mimic the great composer’s style and used it to write a complete symphony based on these initial sketches.

We spoke to the lead researcher on the project, Professor Ahmed Elgammal, to find out more.

FULL REPORT

Edited by CaaC (John)
Spacing correction
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Could AI predict the next pandemic?

Researchers use machine learning algorithms in novel approach to finding future zoonotic virus threats.

viral-genome-small.jpg

Credit: matejmo / Getty Images

Most of the emerging infectious diseases that threaten humans – including coronaviruses – are zoonotic, meaning they originate in another animal species. And as population sizes soar and urbanisation expands, encounters with creatures harbouring potentially dangerous diseases are becoming ever more likely.

Identifying these viruses early, then, is becoming vitally important. A new study out today in PLOS Biology from a team of researchers at the University of Glasgow, UK, has identified a novel way to do this kind of viral detective work, using machine learning to predict the likelihood of a virus jumping to humans.

According to the researchers, a major stumbling block for understanding zoonotic disease has been that scientists tend to prioritise well-known zoonotic virus families based on their common features. This means that there is potentially myriad viruses unrelated to known zoonotic diseases that have not been discovered, or are not well known, which may hold zoonotic potential – the ability to make the species leap.

More reading: Cosmos Q&A: Predicting the next pandemic

In order to circumvent this problem, the team developed a machine learning algorithm that could infer the zoonotic potential of a virus from its genome sequence alone, by identifying characteristics that link it to humans, rather than looking at taxonomic relationships between the virus being studied and existing zoonotic viruses.

The team found that viral genomes may have generalisable features that enable them to infect humans, but which are not necessarily taxonomically closely related to other human-infecting viruses. They say this approach may present a novel opportunity for viral sleuthing.

“By highlighting viruses with the greatest potential to become zoonotic, genome-based ranking allows further ecological and virological characterisation to be targeted more effectively,” the authors write.

“These findings add a crucial piece to the already surprising amount of information that we can extract from the genetic sequence of viruses using AI techniques,” says co-author Simon Babayan.

“A genomic sequence is typically the first, and often only, information we have on newly discovered viruses, and the more information we can extract from it, the sooner we might identify the virus’s origins and the zoonotic risk it may pose.

“As more viruses are characterised, the more effective our machine learning models will become at identifying the rare viruses that ought to be closely monitored and prioritised for pre-emptive vaccine development.”

?id=167020&title=Could+AI+predict+the+nehttps://cosmosmagazine.com/technology/ai/could-ai-predict-next-pandemic/

Edited by CaaC (John)
Spacing correction

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

The engineering potential of origami and kirigami

The bizarre physical properties of paper folding and cutting.

GettyImages-1317360438-hero.jpg

Origami and kirigami have a range of interesting physical properties, which have made the Japanese paper arts very interesting to materials scientists and engineers.

Over the past few years, researchers around the world have used origami and kirigami to inspire new devices and materials, both at the molecular level and on larger scales.

They’re particularly fascinating to people who work with mechanical metamaterials: substances whose properties depend on their structure, rather than their chemical composition.

“Origami and kirigami are, by nature, mechanical metamaterials, because their properties are mainly determined by how the crease patterns and/or cuts are made and just slightly depend on the material that folds the origami or kiragami,” says Hanqing Jiang, a researcher at Westlake University in Hangzhou, China.

download.png

Categories of origami- and kirigami-based mechanical metamaterials. Credit: Zirui Zhai and Hanqing Jiang

Jiang, and collaborators from Arizona State University in the US and Xi’an Jiaotong University in China, have just completed a review on the potential of origami-based metamaterials (folding only), kirigami-based metamaterials (cutting only), and hybrid origami-kirigami metamaterials (both folding and cutting).

“Origami and kiragami-based mechanical metamaterials can be applied in many fields, including flexible electronics, medical devices, robotics, civil engineering and aerospace engineering,” says Jiang.

Their paper is published in Applied Physics Reviews.

The researchers are keen to see what sorts of new materials could be developed using an origami or kirigami approach. Hybrid origami-kirigami mechanical metamaterials are particularly interesting to them, as they say that they can be used to create a wider variety of shapes.

They also state that while, traditionally, paper has been used to explore this field of research, other materials – like plastic and elastics – could rapidly expand the potential of origami and kirigami mechanical designs.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/science/engineering/the-engineering-potential-of-origami-and-kirigami/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Machado said:

Not sure if this goes on here but..

https://synchron.com/technology/brain-io

If true and if it works as intended, then it could be a huge breakthrough for severely disabled people to gain some independence and improve their lives. That said, I'm always skeptical and a bit suspicious when stuff like that is made public on the social media of the company making the product... 

• Subscriber
On 30/12/2021 at 00:11, Machado said:

Not sure if this goes on here but..

https://synchron.com/technology/brain-io

While thats cool I also kind of think it should read more like this.

"no need for casseroles, no you damn AI I was thinking casseroles. Wait why am I hungry now? Mom!!!"

Then mom does the hard job. 

Jokes aside that's very cool and I can't wait to see how many people it helps think straight along with the masses its going to help that have disabilities. 

Edited by Mel81x