talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Best Transfer Window Ever?

football forum

After PSG added Donnarumma, Messi, Ramos and Hakimi in a single summer, is it the best group of acquisitions by a club in a season ever? Who else should be considered?

Milan 1987: Marco van Basten, Ruud Gullit and Carlo Ancelotti

Liverpool, 1987: John Barnes, Peter Beardsley, Ray Houghton

Juventus, 2001: Lilian Thuram, Gianluigi Buffon, Pavel Nedved

Barcelona 2004: Ludovic Giuly, Deco, Juliano Belletti, Hendrik Larsson, Samuel Eto'o

Chelsea, 2004: Didier Drogba, Ricardo Carvalho, Paulo Ferreira, Arjen Robben, Petr Cech

Man United 2005 (and Winter 2006): Edwin van der Sar, Park Ji Sung, Nemanja Vidic and Patrice Erva

Real Madrid, 2009: Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Karim Benzema, Xabi Alonso and Alvaro Arbeloa

Inter Milan, 2009: Diego Milito, Samuel Eto’o, Wesley Sneijder, Lucio and Goran Pandev

Or PSG 2021?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I would say Inter would be up there, as that was a core for their CL Champions run. 

If PSG are able to win the league, cup, and the CL, then this seems like it's the most successful transfer window for any club. 

I think the "best" should be a summer where a club achieved impressive results relative to their transfer budget and general level of resources.

For example, Southampton in 2014-15 signed Pelle, Mane, Tadic, and Bertrand in one window, who have all went onto be elite players. That's pretty impressive for a mid-table club that doesn't spend much money. 

I don't find anything impressive about PSG's window because they have functionally infinite resources. No matter the quality of player they get in, it's basically meaningless when put into that context. There's nothing they can do that would be impressive to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived