talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group I Matchday 4-6 - (2-8th September, 2021)

football forum

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, The Premier Steve's said:

Seems ridiculous that the only reason Hungary were allowed fans in the stadium was because this was a FIFA game not UEFA. They're currently banned from UEFA games. Just goes to show the threat of another ban means nothing. 

Yeah I agree - couldn't work that out either. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Has there been any arrests or court cases here for those found racially abusing England players at the Euros? Not taking any blame off the Hungarians but we have our issues with this too. It’s actually mad that it’s 2021 and racism is as rife as it is. 

As of early August, 11 arrested, some bailed some released pending further investigation. Whilst social media companies were yet to provide the details of 50 racists!

10 hours ago, Lucas said:

Fitting he puts on a display like that when he just won an award for being England's Player of the Year start of the week.

You do have to wonder now that the emerging partnership of Rice and Phillips has put an end to Henderson's time in the team.

Yeah mate, top boys. Phillips really impressed me last night and England have been lacking players of Rice's mould for a while now. 

I think both could be more progressive on the ball at times but apart from that happy days.

Out of interest, how highly do you rate Phillips? As you watch him every week.

Some idiot on YouTube said that even though taking the knee isnt linked to BLM its anti white propaganda. Racists always have excuses. But of course they're not all racist some have black friends and so cant possibly be racist 

16 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

We should be ranked the best team in the world. How are Belgian still first? Another solid performance. Patient buildup until we finally got the goal and then as always when they tried to attack we punished them. 

Overall a solid 8/10 all round from me. 

I think of the rankings as more of a form guide. There are at least 4 teams I would have ahead of us. Italy won the euros should be number one for me. Belgian win almost every game so should be ahead of us. Brazil are top in south American qualifying and Argentina won the Copa America. There may be more but i think at least 4 teams should be ahead of us

4 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

Yeah mate, top boys. Phillips really impressed me last night and England have been lacking players of Rice's mould for a while now. 

I think both could be more progressive on the ball at times but apart from that happy days.

Out of interest, how highly do you rate Phillips? As you watch him every week.

He could play for a Champions League club way he's heading I think. He's been that well coached now that he has so many facets to his game and one of the fittest players in the league now. Runs and runs for days.

I know he does love us to bits and I hate to say it but I do think it's inevitable someone is going to come in and test the water at some point. I'm not naive enough to realise the more exposure he gets, he's going to want to push himself and go and win things if he can.

It's nice to see him getting the recognition he deserves. Credit to Southgate for finding a way to get him and Rice in the same team when it always looked like it should be one or the other.

@Smiley Culture @JoshBRFC my neighbour was saying that he will keep calling England shit until they win something. So wait every team that doesn't win a tournament is shit?? There are a lot of shit teams then. He was saying that England were shit because they didn't win the euros and we shouldn't be happy with second. I don't know about you but I wanted England to win the euros but doesn't mean I'm not happy with getting to a major tournament final. Just because you are happy to get to a final and happy that you have had the best 3 years as an England fan most of us will remember doesnt mean you are happy to loose 

5 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Smiley Culture @JoshBRFC my neighbour was saying that he will keep calling England shit until they win something. So wait every team that doesn't win a tournament is shit?? There are a lot of shit teams then. He was saying that England were shit because they didn't win the euros and we shouldn't be happy with second. I don't know about you but I wanted England to win the euros but doesn't mean I'm not happy with getting to a major tournament final. Just because you are happy to get to a final and happy that you have had the best 3 years as an England fan most of us will remember doesnt mean you are happy to loose 

No. But in Englands case, yes. Never has a team of high quality players had such a divine wind behind it, and still fucked the pooch instead. 

9 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

No. But in Englands case, yes. Never has a team of high quality players had such a divine wind behind it, and still fucked the pooch instead. 

I don't think I ever looked at any England line up in that Euros and thought ooh yeah look at those high quality players 

3 minutes ago, The Premier Steve's said:

I don't think I ever looked at any England line up in that Euros and thought ooh yeah look at those high quality players 

All piss taking aside
Pickford is immense for England
Stones is fantastic when paired well
Shaw, Walker and Trippier are all wonderful players
Kane is a great striker, the best English forward of the past decade
Sterling (though I hate him) Sancho and Grealish are all fantastic too. 

Yeah, there's a dip in midfield quality, but your squad is easily good enough to challenge, at both the last 2 tournaments. However, whenever s stumbling block is presented, rather than Sweden or Tsunisia, you, well, stumble. 

34 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

All piss taking aside
Pickford is immense for England
Stones is fantastic when paired well
Shaw, Walker and Trippier are all wonderful players
Kane is a great striker, the best English forward of the past decade
Sterling (though I hate him) Sancho and Grealish are all fantastic too. 

Yeah, there's a dip in midfield quality, but your squad is easily good enough to challenge, at both the last 2 tournaments. However, whenever s stumbling block is presented, rather than Sweden or Tsunisia, you, well, stumble. 

This England are a superb team. Yet on paper, at that Euros, it is in the bottom quartile of England sides in my life. The most successful England yet bottom quartile, only when you get your head around that can you appreciate how well the team is doing. I've never thought they're there just because of the players they have, history tells us that can't be true. This is a strong solid group, not a bunch of players choking.

I think calling Italy in the final a stumbling block is putting England players on a pedastal as if it's Man City v Wigan. 

21 minutes ago, The Premier Steve's said:

This England are a superb team. Yet on paper, at that Euros, it is in the bottom quartile of England sides in my life. The most successful England yet bottom quartile, only when you get your head around that can you appreciate how well the team is doing. I've never thought they're there just because of the players they have, history tells us that can't be true. This is a strong solid group, not a bunch of players choking.

I think calling Italy in the final a stumbling block is putting England players on a pedastal as if it's Man City v Wigan. 

I think Italy have a slightly better team than you, but every time you play a better team, or even an even slightly worse team, you fail. Croatia, Begium, Italy. 

Yet it's not every time. 

It wasn't Denmark. It wasn't Germany. Even for Italy it took pens, a lottery that can go either way. There's plenty of examples between the tournaments as well.

The whitewashing of the Germany win, a team who lost to the world champions but dominated the game and beat the European champions scoring 4 in the group stage makes no sense. They are clearly in that group England apparently lose to every time.

England should be looking to get at least 5 tonight. This is a game the pessimists love because if we dont score enough they  can moan. If we score loads they can say it's only Andorra 

Bought the big boys on. Kane, mount and grealish. Unfortunately dont think bamford has done enough to really be considered for another cap at the moment 

Felt sorry for Pat.

He's had absolutely zero service. Not sure what else he really could have done being fed on scraps.

Andorra sat back with men behind the ball and we haven't been able to move the ball around quick enough to create oppertunities. Bamford never got presented a chance.

He did make plenty of runs though which i thought was the more encouraging aspect. Unfortunately he never got found because we consistently played the ball sideways and missed the dynamism that some of the players on the bench bring with them. 

Then sods law, Mount wins a penalty and Pat is off the pitch. Just the way it goes.

@Lucas the service wasn't great but I'm  not sure he really got himself into the right positions enough.  I like bamford but I'm not sure if he is at the level of the other forwards unfortunately. They can create more out of nothing. I think he is a good player but we have alot of attacking talent and it will be hard for him

• The topic was unpinned

Archived