10 Years Ago...

football forum

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
2 minutes ago, Eco said:

What did your team look like?

Has it improved? Gotten worse? Promoted? Relegated?

Discuss how your team has gotten him then, to now.

10 years ago we were in the Championship and our squad was so fucking boring and full of shite.

And we were about to enter a season in which we would be relegated to the lowest point in the club's history. At the time, we were one of 9 (I think) clubs who had never been in the 3rd tier of English football.

In those 10 years since, nothing much has happened.

I'll start off with INTER MILAN.

Head Coach - Roberto Mancini
Serie A Winners
Coppa Italia - Runners -Up
Supercoppa Italiana - Winners
UEFA CL - Round of 16

Top Scorers were:
Ibra - 15
Crespo - 14
Materazzi - 10
Cruz - 7

They have definitely gone downhill since. We had a better owner (Moratti), and our team consisted of: Cesar, Grosso, Adriano, Julio Cruz, Ibrahimovic, Figo, Stankovic, Zanetti, Cordoba, Patrick Viera, Crespo, Cambiasso, Materazzi, Walter Samuel, and Toldo was our backup GK.

We also had an unknown Italian player named Bonucci that we let go on a Free.:censored:

Leyton Orient 2006-07

League Position - 20th in League One

Leyton Orient 2016-17

League Position - 24th in League Two

Ten years back, we'd just secured our survival in the third tier of English Football, had our highest finish in twelve years, extended our run of improvement on the previous year's league position to four years on the trot and looking to consolidate our place in League One the following season. 

Ten years on and we've just been relegated from the Football League for the first time 112 years, had five managers this season, have had winding up orders presented against us, have a winding up order hanging over our heads, aren't assured of a place in the National League for next season, will be training in a park next season, have a squad made up of youth players, players haven't been paid on time, if at all, for months on end and may not exist this time next week.

• Subscriber

A total mess. After three seasons of making up the bottom half numbers, Milan Mandaric had arrived to give us some hope ahead of next season. Funds were promised and for once we were spending a bit of money.

We ended up signing 16 players in the summer of 2007, had the manager who brought them in sacked before the window had even shut, before having Megson for 6 games, then Holloway took us down to League One for the first time in our history.

Quite frankly, a complete shower of shite.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Stan said:

not having an actual #1 goal-keeper is where your weakness was in 2007/08

And having about fifteen right backs. Each and every one of them total shite.

The best things to happen on the pitch that year were the signings of Howard, Oakley and the emergence of Andy King. The former two were a smart pair of signings and were big for us in bouncing back up and the Championship, King, while he isn't really good enough now, has been a superb servant.

Turns out King has scored in each of the last 10 seasons for us.

EDIT: Read "your" as "our" xD

It was the year after we had no keepers, 6 different goalkeepers which is amazing really for a side that pissed the league. We had Fulop the year we went down, comfortably better than anyone we've had since bar Schmeichel.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dan said:

And having about fifteen right backs. Each and every one of them total shite.

The best things to happen on the pitch that year were the signings of Howard, Oakley and the emergence of Andy King. The former two were a smart pair of signings and were big for us in bouncing back up and the Championship, King, while he isn't really good enough now, has been a superb servant.

Turns out King has scored in each of the last 10 seasons for us.

I was talking about Everton about the keeper but realised the same applies to us for our 08/09 season xD

6? David Martin, Tony Warner, David Stockdale, Paul Henderson, Conrad Logan (legend)...one more?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

I was talking about Everton about the keeper but realised the same applies to us for our 08/09 season xD

6? David Martin, Tony Warner, David Stockdale, Paul Henderson, Conrad Logan (legend)...one more?

Carl Pentney. Youth keeper who played in one game because none of the others were available. Swindon at home rings a bell.

We signed Chris Weale the next season. I must've watched a different Weale to everyone else because he gets an absolute slating from our fans, I never thought he was THAT bad, doesn't help that his two biggest mistakes came away at Forest and away at Derby, mind.

2 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Was superb until he left for Spurs and was never the same. I'm still angry that we took him back to be honest. 

Sure this was the year we loaned him, the start of the love. 

Yakubu's best year as well, over 20 goals. Lescott got 10. 

My first European away in Nuremberg, what a trip. Losing on pens to Fiorentina was heartbreaking. 

Fuck me dead, Chelsea's midfield was stacked a decade ago. Frank Lampard. Michael Ballack, Michael Essien, Claude Makelele, Jon Mikel, Lass Diarra, and Geremi. Same goes for the defence line. The forwards were a bit shit outside of Didier Drogba and Arjen Robben.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Eco said:

I'll start off with INTER MILAN.

Head Coach - Roberto Mancini
Serie A Winners
Coppa Italia - Runners -Up
Supercoppa Italiana - Winners
UEFA CL - Round of 16

Top Scorers were:
Ibra - 15
Crespo - 14
Materazzi - 10
Cruz - 7

They have definitely gone downhill since. We had a better owner (Moratti), and our team consisted of: Cesar, Grosso, Adriano, Julio Cruz, Ibrahimovic, Figo, Stankovic, Zanetti, Cordoba, Patrick Viera, Crespo, Cambiasso, Materazzi, Walter Samuel, and Toldo was our backup GK.

We also had an unknown Italian player named Bonucci that we let go on a Free.:censored:

And you swapped Fabio Cannavaro for a reserve goalkeeper from Juve 😂😂😂

Wow 10 years ago was probably the most excited I've ever been as a Liverpool fan, Rafa had built a great squad and got us to 2 champions league finals in 3 years while playing some brilliant football. 

With the manager and team we had at the time it was the best chance we had of winning the league in nearly 20 years. Unfortunately H&G absolutely rinsed the club and refused to give Rafa the funds he actually needed to take us to the next level.

Its weird looking back at that period now when we had the likes of Reina, Carragher, Agger, Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard & Torres it's such a shame that we turned to dog shit just a couple of years later after sacking Rafa and appointing that idiot Hodgson which completely destroyed everything Rafa had built, What a waste.

Inter Milan have always been a terribly run club. Moratti was meddlesome and impatient, and whomever has been making transfers for the past twenty years should be embarrassed. For every genius transfer (think Cambiasso free and robbing Barcelona for Eto'o) there has been a line of shite like Macini (in jail for life these days), selling Adriano and buying him back, Quaresma, Suazo, selling Pirlo, letting Bonucci fo for free, trading Cannavaro, trading Seedorf, yadda, yadda, yadda.

IN FACT, I'd wager they are the absolute worst run club of all time that hasn't folded or been relegated.

• Administrator

10 years ago we finished 3rd, despite a shit squad. We scored goals. Lots of goals. Djibril Cisse scored for fun in Ligue 1.

Notable players familiar to posters here include a young Valbuena and even younger Samir Nasri. The latter was fucking class at Marseille. Shame about the hair. 

Less notable but a classy player, Karim Ziani. Sexy fucker on the ball. Other honorable mentions - Taye Taiwo, he played for QPR as well, I've doubly a soft spot for him. Bolo Zenden, but he was Fucking cack, his career winding down.

Oh and Jacques Faty. He was a seriously limited footballer but his name always amused me, said quick enough it's "Shack Fanny". Imagine my delight when Rod Fanni became a Marseille player. 

10 years ago we were relegated to League One, hit with minus 15 points to start the season with and were looking forward to playing (and losing) to teams like Cheltenham and Hereford.

Check mate.

This was our side in the 2007 Champions League final:

GK 25 Spain Pepe Reina
RB 3 Republic of Ireland Steve Finnan   Substituted off 88'
CB 23 England Jamie Carragher YC 60'
CB 5 Denmark Daniel Agger
LB 6 Norway John Arne Riise
DM 14 Spain Xabi Alonso
DM 20 Argentina Javier Mascherano YC 58' Substituted off 78'
RM 16 England Jermaine Pennant
LM 32 Netherlands Boudewijn Zenden   Substituted off 59'
AM 8 England Steven Gerrard (c)
CF 18 Netherlands Dirk Kuyt
Substitutes:
GK 1 Poland Jerzy Dudek
DF 2 Spain Álvaro Arbeloa   Substituted in 88'
DF 4 Finland Sami Hyypiä
MF 7 Australia Harry Kewell   Substituted in 59'
MF 11 Chile Mark González
FW 15 England Peter Crouch   Substituted in 78'
FW 17 Wales Craig Bellamy
Manager:
Spain Rafael Benítez

• Subscriber

10 years ago we had a great squad and played brilliant attacking football. It was Diego's and Mertesacker's debut season in Bremen, Thomas Schaaf was the head coach and we were in the title race until the end, finishing 3rd only 4 points behind title winners Stuttgart. Had a tough group in CL, so just missed out on knockout stage by finishing 3rd behind Chelsea and Barcelona, and then reached the semi final of the UEFA Cup but lost to Espanyol...

---------------------------Wiese
Fritz----Mertesacker----Naldo------Wome
------------------------Baumann
-------------Frings---------------------Borowski
----------------------------Diego
-------------------Hunt------------Klose

It was also one of the last good seasons we had, still competed the following year or two, but after that, it all went downhill. I believe we're slowly recovering now, but the next season will show if it's true.

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

So far, from my understanding of this thread, everyone's team has gotten worse except for @Dan and @Stan's. xD

Haha i basically posted what happened to Chelsea 10 years ago, basically i think the team is not better. We had a far better team that season, but i feel we haven't really evolved that much either. Still won't complain it has been a magical decade.

Archived