talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Government Issued IDs on Mobile Devices

football forum

• Subscriber

Came across this today

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/09/in-eight-us-states-apple-will-begin-storing-drivers-licenses-on-the-iphone/

And it got me thinking about whether or not you really want your government issued license on a device. The implications are huge because lets face it our mobile devices are massive vectors for hacking and to add to that, do you really trust a private entity with an ID that was issued by your government? There's a joke somewhere in there but thoughts?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't want it myself tbh. As convenient as it would be, as you say it'd be ripe for hacking and you just know there'd be an uproar (at least in the UK) if a private firm was handling your personal data on behalf of a government. 

Call it old fashioned but I just feel some things like this would be best left as physical copies rather than being on a phone to present. 

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Wouldn't want it myself tbh. As convenient as it would be, as you say it'd be ripe for hacking and you just know there'd be an uproar (at least in the UK) if a private firm was handling your personal data on behalf of a government. 

Call it old fashioned but I just feel some things like this would be best left as physical copies rather than being on a phone to present. 

I mean theres nothing stopping you from making scanned copies of your ID today but to me this seems like the next logical step for a private company to use that data for other things without anyone knowing. Yes, Apple has a history of not forking over user data under security clauses but the issue now is that they'd be holding a govt. issued ID and that opens all kinds of legal doors I personally don't want to deal with.

27 minutes ago, nudge said:

Don't know why anyone would willingly agree to that.

Easy. Pure ignorance to the dangers PLUS the desire to simplify things. 

The sad truth is, most people don't think about the repercussions, which is why Nigerian Prince scams still work and other attacks. I was on a call with a large company this past week after they had gotten some ransomeware. I was able to find the email and read it...do you know what the email was? 

It was an email sent to the secretary of the CEO, supposedly 'from the CEO', and had a Subject Line of Mid-Year Bonus, and the attachment that was clicked literally said, 'Enjoy you $10k bonus'. 

And, yes, it did say Enjoy YOU...

Point is? Some people don't understand the true dangers out there and most of those people don't care to be safe and keep their privacy intact. 

Archived