talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Drake

football forum

• Subscriber

Love him or hate him, he probably deserves his own topic. I’ve been one of his biggest critics over the years, but you can’t deny the success he’s had time and time again. I take him for what he is, he’s not the greatest rapper of all time, or even of this era, but he’s one of the most successful.

He does make some decent songs, and he is obviously extremely talented. 

He’s just set another record with his new album. Anyone listened to it yet? I’ll probably give it a listen and give my thoughts in a few days.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

If you're already a big artist, I don't think the number of streams you get is a big deal. At all. People will check your music out whether you're getting positive or negative reviews. And the album had 21 songs on it. That's gonna be a lot of streams even before we get to the quality of the album. Which wasn't that high.

I do listen to Drake's songs but they're all largely meaningless nonsense. The latest album was just a lazily put together project where he couldn't even stick to the theme that he set for himself and the songs were just inferior versions of his previous songs. Not even many meaningless "bangers" on there. Relying more on his name than his songs at this point.

On 05/09/2021 at 05:47, Rick said:

New album is wank. 

8 hours ago, 6666 said:

If you're already a big artist, I don't think the number of streams you get is a big deal. At all. People will check your music out whether you're getting positive or negative reviews. And the album had 21 songs on it. That's gonna be a lot of streams even before we get to the quality of the album. Which wasn't that high.

I do listen to Drake's songs but they're all largely meaningless nonsense. The latest album was just a lazily put together project where he couldn't even stick to the theme that he set for himself and the songs were just inferior versions of his previous songs. Not even many meaningless "bangers" on there. Relying more on his name than his songs at this point.

It's gotten rave reviews, so interesting to hear that from the fans point of view the album's at least a bit disappointing. Sort of shows the disconnect between so many mainstream music reviewers and what fans actually want to hear!

I'm not his biggest fan, so to me it all sounds like same the same old shite he's always put out tbh... but I do think that last sentence "Relying more on his name than his songs at this point" sort of sums up how a lot of musicians get when they get "too big."

Also agree with you, when you're a big artist I don't think the number of streams is a big deal. They barely make any money off shit like spotify streams in any case.

Making music that is a fusion of contemporary R&B and trap that makes you fall under the "Hip-Hop artist" category, should not make you a rapper. Never seen Drake as a rapper and never will.

As for the album, obviously it's too long. Drake opts for the quantity rather than the quality, which he has done since 2015. But he does seems to thrive on routine. Him and his producers know exactly where to go, so if you expect nothing else from him, you won't be disappointed.

Despite the obvious lack of effort put into it, it's not music that will have you pulling your hair, there are a few interesting tracks, It's just that I'm tired of listening to the same album over and over again and seeing the artist remain as popular as ever. Numbers mean nothing when you're an unavoidable industry plant.

The album starts well, the first two songs were promising but then it drops off a cliff once “girls want girls” starts. It’s so lazy, Drake seems completely disinterested on his own track. 

“way 2 sexy” is the worst release by a major artist in the last year, fucking embarrassing. 

The album got compared to DONDA because of their ‘feud’ and close release dates. As flawed as Kanye’s album is, it never feels lazy or uninspired. Kanye is trying, and there are a few genuinely brilliant tracks on  his album. Which can’t be said for this piss from Drake.

Archived