talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Potential International Golden Generations

football forum

Are there any teams that are potentially producing their own golden generation? 

When I say golden generation I mean by their own standards. They dont have to produce a tournament winning team. However it would be interesting if there are any potentially teams that have normally been fairly average that could potentially be producing a great team like Belgium have. One country I've noticed is Luxembourg. Compared to their normal standard this current team is very good . Iceland produced a very competitive team recently 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't you argue that this could be England's? (if they win anything, that is..?)

This is turning out to be a special group of Americans. Not sure they'll be the best US team we have seen, but they have that potential. 

Other countries I thought about are Senegal and Denmark. 

• The title was changed to Potential International Golden Generations
4 hours ago, Eco said:

Couldn't you argue that this could be England's? (if they win anything, that is..?)

This is turning out to be a special group of Americans. Not sure they'll be the best US team we have seen, but they have that potential. 

Other countries I thought about are Senegal and Denmark. 

To be honest even without winning anything you could argue it's an England golden generation. We never win anything so by doing better than you normally do really makes you a golden generation. I dont actually think this is an England golden generation I think it is because of St.Georges park and because of the way the fa has addressed the national team.  It reminds me a bit of France when they built clairefontain. It changed French football and made them a country  that has produced significantly more competitive teams than before for the last 23 years. Interestingly Luxembourg did a similar thing which has caused them to be alot more competitive. It doesn't get so much attention but they use to loose every qualifier. They are consistently much better now. 

4 hours ago, nudge said:

Austria. Piss poor for decades, they finally have a solid team again and, more importantly, quite a few upcoming talents for the future. 

Austria is a good one. If they can qualify for the word cup they will have done something they haven't done for a long time. 

36 minutes ago, Michael said:

As well as Austria, Norway comes to mind. They seem to have some very talented players, but they just need to start getting better results. But their current generation has several very notable players.

I've heard that Halland guy is ok

2 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

To be honest even without winning anything you could argue it's an England golden generation. We never win anything so by doing better than you normally do really makes you a golden generation. I dont actually think this is an England golden generation I think it is because of St.Georges park and because of the way the fa has addressed the national team.  It reminds me a bit of France when they built clairefontain. It changed French football and made them a country  that has produced significantly more competitive teams than before for the last 23 years. Interestingly Luxembourg did a similar thing which has caused them to be alot more competitive. It doesn't get so much attention but they use to loose every qualifier. They are consistently much better now. 

No offense, but it's hard to say this is England's 'Golden Era' before they win anything, and that's only because England HAS won a WC before. 

We saw Belgium's Golden Generation come and go, with a lot of wins, but zero trophies, however it was still better than they have ever been. 

5 hours ago, Eco said:

No offense, but it's hard to say this is England's 'Golden Era' before they win anything, and that's only because England HAS won a WC before. 

We saw Belgium's Golden Generation come and go, with a lot of wins, but zero trophies, however it was still better than they have ever been. 

Well most of their golden generation are still playing and part of the team. But I also think that there is an argument as to whether this generation is the best ever Belgium generation. Sure they have some excellent players, but the Belgium team of the 80's equally had some top players, they reached the 1980 European Championship final, the furthest Belgium have ever gone in a major competition.

4 hours ago, Michael said:

Well most of their golden generation are still playing and part of the team. But I also think that there is an argument as to whether this generation is the best ever Belgium generation. Sure they have some excellent players, but the Belgium team of the 80's equally had some top players, they reached the 1980 European Championship final, the furthest Belgium have ever gone in a major competition.

They are, but I think their window has come and gone. This was probably one of the most talented teams to achieve so little. 

• Subscriber

You do think Belgium's time may have been and gone. If not then this World Cup is their last serious chance for a while and I don't really see many tipping them to go all the way.

Remember when Romania beat us a couple of years ago in the youth Euros and they were meant to be a really promising generation. That's not quite gone as planned.

On 05/09/2021 at 14:02, Eco said:

They are, but I think their window has come and gone. This was probably one of the most talented teams to achieve so little. 

Hold it and raise by Netherlands of the 70's and Hungary 54. Although they'll probably leave it to the likes of Bhutan, American Samoa, San Marino and England to call a group of players, who don't win a title, a golden generation.

8 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Were they? In 54 there was some very controversial decisions. What happened in 74?

Apologies, I meant 78 - their second final.

The Argentine dictatorship had their whole team on PEDs and otherwise resorted to all kinds of hijinks to intimidate the Dutch team. 

Archived