JWP to Liverpool

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Spike said:

The fuck is a jwp?

James Ward-Prowse

9 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Thought it was common knowledge they’d had a good look at him this summer?

I don't recall any links to him to be honest. Always thought he was one that would make sense for Liverpool though

4 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

James Ward-Prowse

I don't recall any links to him to be honest. Always thought he was one that would make sense for Liverpool though

haha I know, it just cracks me up when people contract  people’s names like Aaron Wan-Bissaka to AWB, or Dominic Calvert-Lewin to  DCL. Just type out the extra few letters haha

Just now, Spike said:

haha I know, it just cracks me up when people contract  people’s names like Aaron Wan-Bissaka to AWB, or Dominic Calvert-Lewin to  DCL. Just type out the extra few letters haha

Took me a while to work it out. I was thinking 'which Wright-Phillips has a first name beginning with J' xD

3 hours ago, LFCMike said:

It was definitely on Twitter, only reason I saw was because a couple of friends on there are Saints fans who requoted the tweet.

Personally think Liverpool would be better going for someone like Tielemans in that position, especially if Saints are just gonna ask nigh on £40-£50m for the player.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Personally think Liverpool would be better going for someone like Tielemans in that position, especially if Saints are just gonna ask nigh on £40-£50m for the player.

We'd rightfully ask for double that at the bare minimum and I can't see Liverpool forking out that much. 

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

We'd rightfully ask for double that at the bare minimum and I can't see Liverpool forking out that much. 

Traditionally, you aren't afraid to sell big players. It's how you tend to roll. Sell then replace with a bargain.

If Tielemans has a year left after this season, I think you're business savvy enough to take something between £60-70m for him. He does only have two years left and is entering his peak years and I think someone like Liverpool will be fully aware of that situation circling like a shark in the water.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Traditionally, you aren't afraid to sell big players. It's how you tend to roll. Sell then replace with a bargain.

If Tielemans has a year left after this season, I think you're business savvy enough to take something between £60-70m for him. He does only have two years left and is entering his peak years and I think someone like Liverpool will be fully aware of that situation circling like a shark in the water.

We are in the process of hopefully (fingers crossed) getting him to sign a new contract so that fee mentioned might increase. Even if its a year extension it bumps his price up. 

You're right we are savvy enough, but in the context of selling players we've learnt a big lesson since Kante was sold. No player goes for below their value to us and that's just how we roll. 

The sharks can circle all they want but if they don't cough up the right amount of money they won't get who they want. 

• Subscriber

Yeah our bargaining position on Tielemans is weakened slightly if we don't get him tied down to an extended deal. I do think there's a good chance he goes to Liverpool or Manchester United next summer.

On 04/09/2021 at 23:40, LFCMike said:

James Ward-Prowse

I think James Pearce said we inquired about him during the window but Saints didn't want to sell him the same window as selling Ings.

24 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Don't want him anyway. Would only be blocking the path of Jones, Elliott etc. 

Unless he's the long term replacement for Milner?

A bit uninspiring if you ask me.

Personally, I don't think it's that uninspiring - I think he's one of the better CMs in the league at a club not competing for European places. And honestly, with our central midfield situation... we've got a number of very injury prone players in the position: Henderson, Keita, the Ox, Thiago. And while Elliott's looked really good filling in for Wijnaldum (and I think playing him on the right of our 3 man midfield is allowing Trent to spend more time cutting inside this season and getting involved more centrally), I do think we're not too far away from potentially having Fabinho line up alongside Elliott and Jones - and no matter how good they are, experience still matters at the top flight.

And with Milner getting on and there being questionmarks over whether Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain stay with us for too much longer.. I think it makes sense to consider options like Ward-Prowse. He's certainly a player who's quality I think would fit in with our midfield, tbh.

Potentially we could also be looking at a situation like last season where we've got Fabinho filling in at the back and injuries all over midfield... and that could be pretty unpleasant for us. I can see why Ward-Prowse was looked at and is apparently still being considered as an option. He's a good player that's probably going to go for less than Tielemanns or the lad from Brighton we were linked with all last season will go for.

32 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Don't want him anyway. Would only be blocking the path of Jones, Elliott etc. 

Unless he's the long term replacement for Milner?

A bit uninspiring if you ask me.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Personally, I don't think it's that uninspiring - I think he's one of the better CMs in the league at a club not competing for European places. And honestly, with our central midfield situation... we've got a number of very injury prone players in the position: Henderson, Keita, the Ox, Thiago. And while Elliott's looked really good filling in for Wijnaldum (and I think playing him on the right of our 3 man midfield is allowing Trent to spend more time cutting inside this season and getting involved more centrally), I do think we're not too far away from potentially having Fabinho line up alongside Elliott and Jones - and no matter how good they are, experience still matters at the top flight.

And with Milner getting on and there being questionmarks over whether Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain stay with us for too much longer.. I think it makes sense to consider options like Ward-Prowse. He's certainly a player who's quality I think would fit in with our midfield, tbh.

Potentially we could also be looking at a situation like last season where we've got Fabinho filling in at the back and injuries all over midfield... and that could be pretty unpleasant for us. I can see why Ward-Prowse was looked at and is apparently still being considered as an option. He's a good player that's probably going to go for less than Tielemanns or the lad from Brighton we were linked with all last season will go for.

Ward-Prowse is a great but unremarkable player but the same could be said about Milner or Henderson, they aren't flashy players but they work hard, you know what you get with him, and he has played a lot of football and has international experience. He is an instant improvement player, whereas Jones and Elliot require time to develop. Does Liverpool have the time to develop them? Not every player explodes onto the scene like Trent Alexander-Arnold. Liverpool should by all rights be a trophy winning team, as they have in the last few years but can Liverpool afford the investment in time for youth? The elite core is rapidly approaching their 30s and some have already past that mark, it isn't unreasonable to expect a decline in returns for some of these players.

Will the door be shut for Mane, Firmino, and Salah by the time that Jones and Elliot are viable starting players? It's a big risk to take. Not everyone is a genetic freak like Ronaldo or Milner and can play at an astounding level into their mid to late 30s.

59 minutes ago, Spike said:

Ward-Prowse is a great but unremarkable player but the same could be said about Milner or Henderson, they aren't flashy players but they work hard, you know what you get with him, and he has played a lot of football and has international experience. He is an instant improvement player, whereas Jones and Elliot require time to develop. Does Liverpool have the time to develop them? Not every player explodes onto the scene like Trent Alexander-Arnold. Liverpool should by all rights be a trophy winning team, as they have in the last few years but can Liverpool afford the investment in time for youth? The elite core is rapidly approaching their 30s and some have already past that mark, it isn't unreasonable to expect a decline in returns for some of these players.

Will the door be shut for Mane, Firmino, and Salah by the time that Jones and Elliot are viable starting players? It's a big risk to take. Not everyone is a genetic freak like Ronaldo or Milner and can play at an astounding level into their mid to late 30s.

I think we've got to take a hybrid approach. We should always leave open avenues where players can break into the team from the youth team - but we also shouldn't hold ourselves back from having a competitive team by putting the focus only on developing youth.

Tbh, I think Elliot's going to be some player. I thought Curtis Jones was looking like he was developing nicely, but imo I think Elliot shows the most raw potential & his inclusion to our midfield does seem to have some real benefits (like Alexander-Arnold getting to cut in and creep in more centrally - which I think is very important because while he's a fullback he's one of the better playmakers in the league)

On 05/09/2021 at 08:14, DeadLinesman said:

Saw a few tweets knocking about.

On 05/09/2021 at 10:51, Lucas said:

It was definitely on Twitter, only reason I saw was because a couple of friends on there are Saints fans who requoted the tweet.

Same agency as Greedish, Villa offered him a deal but ultimately signed a new deal at Saints as verbally he’s been told Liverpool will come for him next summer, Klopp rates him

Archived