talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2021 - Monza GP - 10-13th September

football forum

13 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

This would have been the rule in the past but I'm not sure that's the case anymore. We've had many years of tracks like Spa and Monza being traditional Mercedes tracks and the likes of Hungary being Red Bull tracks. Those rules haven't necessarily held true this year.

Has Hungary been a RB track? The last time they won there was 7 years ago in 2014. Am sure it was Ricciardo who won.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Verstappen's best ever finish here is 5th. He qualified 5th here last year behind both Mercedes, Sainz in a McLaren and Perez in a Racing Point. Albon qualified 9th in the other Red Bull which in itself isn't a bad performance from the car compared to other tracks. He ended up 15th in the race at the back of a train including two Williams, a Haas and an Alfa Romeo which doesn't bode well for the Red Bull's ability to overtake, while Verstappen retired with a power unit failure.

I'm looking at other similar tracks and how the Red Bull performed last season compared to this. At Spa last year, Verstappen was a distant 3rd in qualifying and the race with Albon qualifying 5th and finishing 6th. The Renaults were the ones competing with him for 4th-6th positions. Verstappen's pace in the dry practice at Spa this year suggests an improvement but it's hard to tell with no competitive running in the dry that weekend. The only other track I'd argue is somewhat of a power track is Austria, where Verstappen qualified half a second off the Mercedes cars in dry qualifying last year, but dominated this year. It does speak to a big step forward from the Red Bull car across the board and people have been muttering about the Honda engine arguably being the class of the field at this point in time. Mercedes have their strengths as well though, at Spa they were the fastest in the 1st and 3rd sectors with the long straights, while Verstappen was fastest in the middle sector. This was about setup choice as well as engine power but still. Also recall Hamilton being by far the fastest in the final sector of Baku which is essentially one corner and a massive straight. Again, could be setup but it suggests that the Mercedes operates well with low downforce.

Having thought it through, I reckon Mercedes would have the edge on pace this weekend and should be pretty worried if Red Bull have better pace than them.

23 minutes ago, nudge said:

New PU for Bottas, he'll start Sunday race from the back of the grid.

For predictions I was going to go for Bottas but backed out as the cunt has let me down a few times this season, it's backfired I should have backed him. Reason I was going to go for him is because I feel that know he's leaving there may be less pressure and the shackles could be off.

• Subscriber

Bottas nicks the P1. Sky commentators suggesting Mercedes have done this on purpose to deny Max points in the sprint but it makes no sense as Sunday brings the bigger points and they have the pace here for an easy 1-2 which is now practically impossible with Bottas starting last.

I think Max will have a job fighting off the McLarens to be honest but he still has a great chance to finish 2nd and only lose a smattering of points in the Championship at a track where Red Bull are 3-4 tenths slower than Mercedes which would be a pretty big win at a track which looks like it'll be the worst for their car out of the weekends that are left.

• Subscriber

Mercedes showing their might here in Monza, and it's clear that in terms of power, their engine is still significantly ahead of Honda. Which is also a huge compliment to RB's aero efficiency, given how well they managed to stay close or even be faster than Mercedes on other circuits so far. Perez giving Max a tow and the latter managing P3 is probably the best possible damage limitation for Red Bull today. The start should be interesting tomorrow, with Hamilton starting on the dirty side of the track, and McLarens giving Verstappen a hard time.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Bottas nicks the P1. Sky commentators suggesting Mercedes have done this on purpose to deny Max points in the sprint but it makes no sense as Sunday brings the bigger points and they have the pace here for an easy 1-2 which is now practically impossible with Bottas starting last.

I think Max will have a job fighting off the McLarens to be honest but he still has a great chance to finish 2nd and only lose a smattering of points in the Championship at a track where Red Bull are 3-4 tenths slower than Mercedes which would be a pretty big win at a track which looks like it'll be the worst for their car out of the weekends that are left.

When did you find out about the Bottas penalty? I only found out during Q1 I think it was.

• Subscriber

Missed the sprint because I had a game, looks like Hamilton got a bad start and never caught up? Disastrous result for Mercedes really with Verstappen on pole, gives him half a chance but still think Lewis will find a way through with that pace advantage.

What was the McLaren pace like? Enough to challenge Max in the race?

• The topic was unpinned

Archived