talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Do You Miss From Early Internet Days?

football forum

• Subscriber

When you first started going on the Internet, there were sites you'd go on. I started going on the Internet around 1997, from the early days I miss 2 things from  back then. MSN messenger was popular back then, everyone used to be on it.

Does anybody remember Yahoo Pool? It was really good but all Yahoo games eventually vanished. You had tournaments and could piss people off by chatting to them and annoying them during games.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

My first internet provider was AOL but it cost a bomb as I had to have 2 separate phone lines, ended up with one in the end but you had to use that phone for either the internet or domestic use, we ended up going on the internet at night time and we would let the family know if they tried ringing it would be engaged.

The beauty nowadays is we have mobile phones and the internet if our daughter wants 's to speak to the wife who is nattering away to her big sis on the phone she will WhatsAp me to tell the wife she is waiting to speak or even leave a message on Facebook private messages.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

The free trial AOL discs you used to get to help you access the internet.

We used to get this but never actually took out a subscription. They used to go mad at home when they tried ringing out and couldn't because we were on dial-up lol.

The age of the shock video, literally anything and everything could be shared and you quickly learnt which of your workmates were actually sick perverts or weird death video watching weirdos.

I suppose Forums are a product of the early Internet as well.

• Subscriber

Which was your first Internet Service subscription? Ours was Virgin, I remember when we first got it. No interference with the phone line and it was really quick. I remember the exact day they installed it, 12th November 2004. It was the same day as Yasser Arafats funeral lol.

Imagine trying to explain to a kid today that you didnt use to have a phone and when you did it didn't have the internet. They wouldn't know how you managed 😂

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

When we had it you could tell when someone was getting a text message because it would make this weird noise before just before the message came through if you were close to the computer... 

Like a weird water on the electrics noise lol.

• Subscriber

I remember the AOL chat line, bloody hell that was lethal, it was moving all the time non-stop with people nattering away and the wife would go onto it for a natter but she soon stopped when she kept getting private messages asking if she would be interested in wife swops etc, she shite herself and said I'm not going in there anymore,  🤣

3 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

When we had it you could tell when someone was getting a text message because it would make this weird noise before just before the message came through if you were close to the computer... 

Yeah I remember. And it would make the screen go a bit fuzzy. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I remember the AOL chat line, bloody hell that was lethal, it was moving all the time non-stop with people nattering away and the wife would go onto it for a natter but she soon stopped when she kept getting private messages asking if she would be interested in wife swops etc, she shite herself and said I'm not going in there anymore,  🤣

It was called peoples chat lol. 

20 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I also remember seeing the mp3 player on tomorrow's world. I remember a lot of the issues were with jumping on CDs when you moved 

Tomorrow's world.

Now that's worth it's own personal mention, loved it.

Just checked it last screened in 2003.

Chatrooms. It was amazing. I was like 13 or 14 and tried to hit on grown women. Just going on there and watch random people talk to each other. Amazing.

Also being in clans during my early Counter-Strike days was kind of amazing. Even though I was always too shy to talk on the microphone and felt like an outcast. xD

52 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Chatrooms. It was amazing. I was like 13 or 14 and tried to hit on grown women. Just going on there and watch random people talk to each other. Amazing.

Also being in clans during my early Counter-Strike days was kind of amazing. Even though I was always too shy to talk in the microphone and felt like an outcast. xD

Ha, that was me with Chatroulette. Always fancied giving it a go for a laugh when I was in school but was too scared of either matching with someone hot as fuck, or matching with an absolute psychopath.

Just the decentralized, unregulated nature of it all. So much content was free. Free games, information, videos, music. As soon as large corporate entities saw an opportunity to profit, and governments started to regulate beyond blocking illegal content, it's all gone so far downhill. 

This site is a relic, I enjoy message board communities way more than just exposing your opinion to the unwashed masses, but they're all dying off. I hope we can keep this ancient corner of the internet alive for a few years more, because I'll miss this community when it's gone. 

• The title was changed to What Do You Miss From Early Internet Days?

Archived