talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Crystal Palace 3-0 Tottenham - Saturday 11th September, 2021

football forum

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Shite football sometimes gets results. Simeone and Mourinho years ago. Its irrelevant anyway like I said wanting things rid of a manager after one bad result is illogical. Thats my point 

It's not if you didn't want them in the first place and are still critical of the football when they're winning or drawing. Sometimes you just know that an appointment is all wrong and I assume that's how some Spurs fans feel. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

If Nuno had gone Crystal Palace he would have been admired.

If Nuno had gone Everton he would have had "Wait and See" response.

He went Tottenham where he's got a "What the Fuck" response.

His level is 8th to 14th. Admittedly his stock was better when Wolves were in Europe and before Jimenez had that horrible injury but he did himself no favours by opting a very defensive approach last season after that.

If I was a Tottenham fan I wouldn't want him there either. A team with Hojberg, Skipp, Moura, Kane, Winks and Alli is more than capable of dictating the play and creating opportunities at Selhurst Park. Instead they were rigid, they broke up play, surrendered possession, played aggressive and went for tactical fouls. Harry Kane looked absolutely perplexed by what was going on. It was pathetic and was the worst Tottenham performance I've seen at Selhurst Park during our nine season stint in the Premier League.

So no credit to Patrick 'better than Arteta' Vieira & the Palace transfer business?

This was 1 match.. when 10 men failed in the last 15 minutes, without the real star man, Son.

But going by this tabloid-y analysis, Jota is probably not the same Jota from Wolves. And is only playing like he is at Liverpool because Klopp.

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

It's not if you didn't want them in the first place and are still critical of the football when they're winning or drawing. Sometimes you just know that an appointment is all wrong and I assume that's how some Spurs fans feel. 

Well we'll have to agree to disagree. I dont think you can know whether he will be successful or not. You can not like the style but as for success that is hard to predict. 

14 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

So no credit to Patrick 'better than Arteta' Vieira & the Palace transfer business?

This was 1 match.. when 10 men failed in the last 15 minutes, without the real star man, Son.

But going by this tabloid-y analysis, Jota is probably not the same Jota from Wolves. And is only playing like he is at Liverpool because Klopp.

I have no idea what tangent you have gone off on but to put it simplistically when you compare the two starting line ups today that Tottenham team was capable of far more than what the manager set them up to do.

You dont always know what a manager has seen in training. He may have felt that his team looked tired because of international duty or something and so set them up for a smash and grab. Everyone has a right to an opinion however the managers always have more information than us.

14 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I have no idea what tangent you have gone off on but to put it simplistically when you compare the two starting line ups today that Tottenham team was capable of far more than what the manager set them up to do.

It's more simple than that. Swap Alli in for Son & you have less pace & intensity. I'm not even sure who the other missing players were. If there were any.

Son would have been far better in a 10 man Spurs than Alli. Because of the different attributes.

And those attributes probably behind why Mourinho dropped him.

And it's not really a tangent that Jota has seemingly done more at Liverpool, where yes, he is in a team at a higher level. Not when the argument you're siding with is that Nuno can't possibly do the same as a manager.

13 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

It's more simple than that. Swap Alli in for Son & you have less pace & intensity. I'm not even sure who the other missing players were. If there were any.

Son would have been far better in a 10 man Spurs than Alli. Because of the different attributes.

And those attributes probably behind why Mourinho dropped him.

And it's not really a tangent that Jota has seemingly done more at Liverpool, where yes, he is in a team at a higher level. Not when the argument you're siding with is that Nuno can't possibly do the same as a manager.

So, just to be clear, you're suggesting Tottenham should have set out the way they did against Crystal Palace because Son didn't play?

Jota and Nuno are not remotely comparable.

12 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

So, just to be clear, you're suggesting Tottenham should have set out the way they did against Crystal Palace because Son didn't play?

Jota and Nuno are not remotely comparable.

If my club had just beaten a Spurs side I do not consider a title contender, perhaps not even an auto to be Top 6, and I had realistic belief my club would not be bottom 6, at the very least, I'd still be more inclined to celebrate our new manager & players if we beat them.

Maybe you are expecting Bottom 6. But your analysis as all Nuno error seems overly reverential to me.

10 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

If my club had just beaten a Spurs side I do not consider a title contender, perhaps not even an auto to be Top 6, and I had realistic belief my club would not be bottom 6, at the very least, I'd still be more inclined to celebrate our new manager & players if we beat them.

Maybe you are expecting Bottom 6. But your analysis as all Nuno error seems overly reverential to me.

I am happy. I was just contributing to the ongoing discussion.

16 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

If Nuno had gone Crystal Palace he would have been admired.

If Nuno had gone Everton he would have had "Wait and See" response.

He went Tottenham where he's got a "What the Fuck" response.

His level is 8th to 14th. Admittedly his stock was better when Wolves were in Europe and before Jimenez had that horrible injury but he did himself no favours by opting a very defensive approach last season after that.

If I was a Tottenham fan I wouldn't want him there either. A team with Hojberg, Skipp, Moura, Kane, Winks and Alli is more than capable of dictating the play and creating opportunities at Selhurst Park. Instead they were rigid, they broke up play, surrendered possession, played aggressive and went for tactical fouls. Harry Kane looked absolutely perplexed by what was going on. It was pathetic and was the worst Tottenham performance I've seen at Selhurst Park during our nine season stint in the Premier League.

We weren't really capable of dictating the play with the team we played yesterday. That's not Hojberg, Skipp and Winks's game. Hojberg is the best of the three and we had that same problem, when he's off it, we don't play well. Winks is negative, risk adverse and generally anonymous and Skipp is a defensive mid still getting used to higher level.

There are mitigating circumstances. The South America debacle left us without several players, due to injury and ill discipline, we had a totally patched up defence by the end and injuries occurred too. The game needed Ndombele or Gill but the manager obviously doesn't trust them yet. We had no-one capable of keeping and carrying the ball forward and for all Ndombele's faults, he provides that. Going forward, Alli is a box poacher, he's not very quick and Kane just didn't look interested. We seriously missed Son and Stevie B but without him, giving Gill his chance was probably the way to go.

It was a bad day for us, Palace thoroughly deserved to win and the team has to look at itself. Nuno's comments of "we controlled the game in the first half" (we didn't, as you saw) didn't help but it is what it is - a bad day with some mitigating circumstances. We've had a pretty good start to the season, we beat the Champions and ground out two good results. The Spurs fans calling for his head already or are carrying on like he's De Boer are being ridiculous. I mean, if we've not improved and/or regressed by the end of the season, fair enough, but no wonder people think our fans are fickle and entitled sometimes which is not a dig at anyone on here, just the fanbase in general because it's been Armageddon on some Spurs groups I'm on.

• The title was changed to Crystal Palace 3-0 Tottenham - Saturday 11th September, 2021
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived