• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leeds 0-3 Liverpool - Sunday 12th September, 2021

football forum

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Leeds 0-3 Liverpool - Sunday 12th September, 2021

Liverpool by far the better side, deserved victory, no complaints on the scoreline, could have been even more in truth.

Mane and Salah just too good but Fabinho and Thiago just swept up everything and set up Liverpool for their constant attacks.

We don't help ourselves though and we contributed to our own issues, fail to see any positives we can take from that game I'm afraid, just a poor show all round. We need to start playing an extra midfielder against the sides with top quality or they just expose us at will.

I want to say my thoughts are with Harvey Elliott and I wish him a speedy recovery. Genuinely gutted for him and you hate to see that happen to any player.

It is not a red, its clear it's not a red, let's be absolutely real about it, if that is given against your side you would never accept it in a million years and I haven't seen many pundits agreeing with that decision.

But the extent of the injury coupled with the Liverpool reaction on the sideline has made the referee feel he has no choice. 

If he doesn't break an ankle there, will the ref give a red? Course not. It's not malicious, it's fair but it's unfortunately led to a probable season ending injury.

That is the only thing I am aggrieved at, apart from that we were 2nd best in all departments and will have to take that on the chin.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

They should do because it's a challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent

Cooper did the same thing moments later (gladly Mane was fine).

So if Struijk endangers the safety of the opponent, surely Cooper's does as well?

In that clip Pawson was ready and happily going to let play carry on. It's only when he sees the reaction of Salah and some of the bench that he even stops play. Yet on Sky commentary he apparently 'was always going to give a red card'.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Cooper did the same thing moments later (gladly Mane was fine).

So if Struijk endangers the safety of the opponent, surely Cooper's does as well?

In that clip Pawson was ready and happily going to let play carry on. It's only when he sees the reaction of Salah and some of the bench that he even stops play. Yet on Sky commentary he apparently 'was always going to give a red card'.

It wasn't the same though, stop listening to Neville. The Elliott situation, both feet off the ground, from behind, Sky have just showed it closely before the contact. It's a red all day

7 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

They should do because it's a challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent

So do we change the rules of the game then because our lad's made a fair challenge that has unfortunately resulted in an ankle break?

Firmly believe it was a fair challenge, which let's be fair, has been predominantly backed by many pundits so far in discussion (not just Neville before you say)

I get it's a horrible injury to take but you really need to see the challenge for what it really was in my opinion.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

This is an impossible conundrum though because every challenge endangers an opponent to some extent. Still think the best thing to do all round when an injury like that happens is to send off the player who made the challenge and then rescind it later if it wasn't a red card challenge like they did with Son. The player who inflicts the injury is often not in the mindset to continue and the amount of outrage and grievance you'd get from not sending them off would often lead the match to run out of control.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived