talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leeds 0-3 Liverpool - Sunday 12th September, 2021

football forum

• Administrator
Just now, LFCMike said:

It wasn't the same though, stop listening to Neville. The Elliott situation, both feet off the ground, from behind, Sky have just showed it closely before the contact. It's a red all day

Stop thinking I'm only listening to Neville and forming opinions from that ffs xD . Neville has nothing to do with what I'm comparing.

Even if there was no commentary, Cooper and Struijk challenges are quite similar. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Lucas said:

So do we change the rules of the game then because our lad's made a fair challenge that has unfortunately resulted in an ankle break?

Firmly believe it was a fair challenge, which let's be fair, has been predominantly backed by many pundits so far in discussion.

I get it's a horrible injury to take but you really need to see the challenge for what it really was in my opinion.

A fair challenge isn't both feet off the ground from behind. It's extremely reckless. It's a red

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Ok. It's clearly not but we'll agree to disagree for the sake of doing circles.

It's clearly not what? It's from behind, it's both feet off the floor. It's reckless. Red card. No one is saying he's done him on purpose but the letter of the law, it's a red card

I thought it was a yellow. He did get the ball but it was a clumsily executed lunge of a man who's panicking and desperate to retrieve the ball. I didn't see anything highly reckless about it, I thought it was at the "clumsy" end of the scale. It just looked awkward, even the way the ball spun away from him after.

Hope Elliott has a speedy recovery, thoughts with him, a horrific injury to suffer.

1 minute ago, Rick said:

I’ve watched it a few times and I don’t think it’s a red card. I think if Fabinho makes that sort of tactical foul we would be saying “typical Fab”. 

'Typical Fab'😂 when has he ever made a challenge like that?

3 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

'Typical Fab'😂 when has he ever made a challenge like that?

I mean his tactical fouls. How often does he give away fouls and get carded, don’t say he hasn’t put in a few hard challenges during his time.

You’re acting like it was a two footed drop kick into Elliotts leg. The player went for the ball and it was the awkward way they fell that done the damage, not the initial contact. It’s unfortunate but I don’t think the intention was dangerous at all. 

1 minute ago, Rick said:

I mean his tactical fouls. How often does he give away fouls and get carded, don’t say he hasn’t put in a few hard challenges during his time.

You’re acting like it was a two footed drop kick into Elliotts leg. The player went for the ball and it was the awkward way they fell that done the damage, not the initial contact. It’s unfortunate but I don’t think the intention was dangerous at all. 

Tactical fouls, yeah. Fabinho doesn't really do desperate challenges though, does he? 

He went for the ball, yeah. Doesn't mean it's not a red card! For all the reasons already described

8 minutes ago, Storts said:

The tackle is never red card worthy. 

Of course it is

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

This reminds me of an incident in the NRL from a few years back. 
In a game between Melbourne and Newcastle, a trio of Melbourne players tackled Newcastle player Alex McKinnon. Because McKinnon thought he could get a penalty from an illegal 'lifting tackle' he purposely tucked his chin down to make it look like his feet had been lifted above his head (those are the conditions to be met for an illegal lifting tackle) So when they dumped him flat, having never lifted his feet to an illegal degree, his neck snapped like a twig. 

The player who had his feet in the tackle copped an 8 match ban. Despite never actually making an illegal tackle. Was just a horrible accident. I feel the same case here, he makes a challenge for the ball from behind that's never a red, but breaks the leg, and boom, suddenly the refs under pressure and the people will be demanding justice. 

Anyway, second season syndrome from leeds? Or just a slow start?

• Subscriber

Didn't read about the match or really know anything as I was traveling and came back this morning to watch the match. Gutted for Harvey, he really was coming along quite well and while it was an unfortunate accident it was clearly not a red card as much as it was, as I said before, an accident. I just hope he gets well soon and doesn't actually have issues getting back into this game. 

As for our midfield of Thiago and Fab, if they put these kinds of shifts in every game they're going to cause problems for a lot of teams when it comes to protecting and running the middle of the park. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Of course it is

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

I don’t think he used excessive force at all though. He’s just a freak injury. Would not be surprised to see it overturned like Sons was, although this one was against Liverpool so probably not as they won’t want to deal with the inevitable moaning from Klopp and the social media backlash 

6 minutes ago, Storts said:

I don’t think he used excessive force at all though. He’s just a freak injury. Would not be surprised to see it overturned like Sons was, although this one was against Liverpool so probably not as they won’t want to deal with the inevitable moaning from Klopp and the social media backlash 

I would disagree.

What's indisputable is that he's lunged from behind and endangered the safety of his opponent. So it's a red card.

I think Klopp said in his post match interview that he 'couldn't care less' about the red card but feel free to make up scenarios.

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

This reminds me of an incident in the NRL from a few years back. 
In a game between Melbourne and Newcastle, a trio of Melbourne players tackled Newcastle player Alex McKinnon. Because McKinnon thought he could get a penalty from an illegal 'lifting tackle' he purposely tucked his chin down to make it look like his feet had been lifted above his head (those are the conditions to be met for an illegal lifting tackle) So when they dumped him flat, having never lifted his feet to an illegal degree, his neck snapped like a twig. 

The player who had his feet in the tackle copped an 8 match ban. Despite never actually making an illegal tackle. Was just a horrible accident. I feel the same case here, he makes a challenge for the ball from behind that's never a red, but breaks the leg, and boom, suddenly the refs under pressure and the people will be demanding justice. 

Anyway, second season syndrome from leeds? Or just a slow start?

I've heard this term banded around quite a bit about us but I feel it's a bit lazy to say that so early.

I think we'll be fine. It'll be a tough ask for us to finish 9th again without strengthening the squad that much but we did that in an abnormal season with no fans. We overachieved and we have to acknowledge that and temper expectations.

We've had a tough start but we've got exactly what we deserve points wise, two.

Man U and Liverpool are both title challengers and have rightfully dispatched us with ease when we over exposed ourselves. Everton have started well under Benitez and got a deserved draw at ours. The other was Burnley away which I expected 3pts from, but we only deserved a point. 

I think it's probably best to judge things when we are getting to Christmas and have played everyone once but I'm not overly concerned at the moment. Ideally would have wanted two or three more players but it's not Football Manager, its real life unfortunately.

14 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I've heard this term banded around quite a bit about us but I feel it's a bit lazy to say that so early.

I think we'll be fine. It'll be a tough ask for us to finish 9th again without strengthening the squad that much but we did that in an abnormal season with no fans. We overachieved and we have to acknowledge that and temper expectations.

We've had a tough start but we've got exactly what we deserve points wise, two.

Man U and Liverpool are both title challengers and have rightfully dispatched us with ease when we over exposed ourselves. Everton have started well under Benitez and got a deserved draw at ours. The other was Burnley away which I expected 3pts from, but we only deserved a point. 

I think it's probably best to judge things when we are getting to Christmas and have played everyone once but I'm not overly concerned at the moment. Ideally would have wanted two or three more players but it's not Football Manager, its real life unfortunately.

Yeah I find this talk so early on a bit mad. Three sides that you wouldn't expect to beat and one in Burnley who are generally pretty strong at home against sides in midtable. 

Playing like that will see you take a few beatings against the better sides but if it clicks it also gives you a better chance of causing them plenty of problems.

21 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Yeah I find this talk so early on a bit mad. Three sides that you wouldn't expect to beat and one in Burnley who are generally pretty strong at home against sides in midtable. 

Playing like that will see you take a few beatings against the better sides but if it clicks it also gives you a better chance of causing them plenty of problems.

I'd actually say credit to Klopp yesterday because he was very thorough in how he approached us.

You could tell from his comments in the post Chelsea interview he didn't relish this game after the internationals and he prepared you very well by nulifying Phillips from dictating too much of the play. He did alright but found it tough against Fabinho and Thiago, he needed a partner ideally.

We usually attack the width too but our full backs were never allowed to overlap and get forward and tjat was another reason we were quiet.

You'll go close this season. I get the concerns about lack of signings but 1 to 11 on paper, we couldn't get close yesterday, you were too good.

36 minutes ago, Storts said:

Also this is fantastic Karma to be fair, couldn’t happen to a nicer bloke 

Don't be a huge cunt for nothing. 
First off, even if he's a cunt, mocking Harry Kane is hardly a crime worthy of a broken leg

Second. He's absolutely right. Kane is a Ben & Holly's little Kingdom, and that is how he speaks. Harvey Elliot speaks clean facts in the above video.

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Don't be a huge cunt for nothing. 
First off, even if he's a cunt, mocking Harry Kane is hardly a crime worthy of a broken leg

Second. He's absolutely right. Kane is a Ben & Holly's little Kingdom, and that is how he speaks. Harvey Elliot speaks clean facts in the above video.

How rich coming from you. 

I couldn’t care less about him. Why should I? As I said couldn’t happen to a nicer bloke. 

• Subscriber

Gutted for Elliot, still feel that connection towards him after his season with us, and i met him earlier this year.

He's not looked out of place at all alongside players like Thiago, Fabinho etc, and at 18 that's saying something. Fully expect him to return and have the bright future we expect him to have, for Liverpool and also England.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived