• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leeds 0-3 Liverpool - Sunday 12th September, 2021

football forum

1 hour ago, Storts said:

Also this is fantastic Karma to be fair, couldn’t happen to a nicer bloke 

51 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Don't be a huge cunt for nothing. 
First off, even if he's a cunt, mocking Harry Kane is hardly a crime worthy of a broken leg

Second. He's absolutely right. Kane is a Ben & Holly's little Kingdom, and that is how he speaks. Harvey Elliot speaks clean facts in the above video.

Someone like Robbie Savage would call it banter.

He's not exuding the mask of perfect & proper & compassionate & caring, loveliest people anywhere that the Liverpool PR machine would put forward. With a modern cover version of Ferry Cross the Mersey playing to whistful scenes of Liverpool scenery.

But that's what some significant portion of footballers are like. They take the p. They crash cars. They have several fast cars. They put it about a bit.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Storts said:

Also this is fantastic Karma to be fair, couldn’t happen to a nicer bloke 

He’s 16. Bet you said and done some pretty childish things when you were that age. Judging by this post, you still are. 

4 hours ago, Lucas said:

I've heard this term banded around quite a bit about us but I feel it's a bit lazy to say that so early.

I think we'll be fine. It'll be a tough ask for us to finish 9th again without strengthening the squad that much but we did that in an abnormal season with no fans. We overachieved and we have to acknowledge that and temper expectations.

We've had a tough start but we've got exactly what we deserve points wise, two.

Man U and Liverpool are both title challengers and have rightfully dispatched us with ease when we over exposed ourselves. Everton have started well under Benitez and got a deserved draw at ours. The other was Burnley away which I expected 3pts from, but we only deserved a point. 

I think it's probably best to judge things when we are getting to Christmas and have played everyone once but I'm not overly concerned at the moment. Ideally would have wanted two or three more players but it's not Football Manager, its real life unfortunately.

Your biggest weakness will be your defense, for sure.

Basically 0 defensive ability on show from Leeds yesterday xD 

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Most of us are fucked if we deserve serious injury for something we did or said when we were 16

Yeah xD ffs that’s mental.

If Elliott deserves a serious injury for that, what does Kane deserve for swearing on his daughters life about a ball we can see on video that he didn’t touch being his goal xD xD

Maybe people don’t deserve to be injured for saying stupid things?!

What does Kane deserve? For signing a deal that covers the best part of a decade, downing tools, getting his tits out for Sheikh Mansour, realising he wasn't actually worth as much to City as he thought he was, and then shamelessly dragging himself back in front of the gullible, desperate fans of his "boyhood club".

A forgettable, trophyless career? Wow, I guess there is some karma in the world. 

That was a silly tweet from Elliott even at 16, you don't wish to be treated like a kid at that age so you shouldn't act like one.

However, fair play to him for coming out and setting the record straight on yesterday. Even he said it wasn't a red which is refreshing to hear.

IMG_20210913_163855.jpg

Got a lot of time for that as it keeps the awful social media cretins off Pascal's back wishing him the worst when clearly he was upset himself what happened.

Hopefully common sense prevails and Struijk's red will be rescinded and we can all move on and wish Elliott the best in his recovery.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Your biggest weakness will be your defense, for sure.

Basically 0 defensive ability on show from Leeds yesterday xD 

It's not the defence so much, but the lack of protection they have. The fault lies in us allowing too much space in midfield.

We're going to have to take a bit of humble pie, leave the bravado at the door and play an extra midfielder when we are up against the top sides.

But that is totally on Marcelo. Who am I to tell him what to do. We'll see what happens.

38 minutes ago, Lucas said:

It's not the defence so much, but the lack of protection they have. The fault lies in us allowing too much space in midfield.

We're going to have to take a bit of humble pie, leave the bravado at the door and play an extra midfielder when we are up against the top sides.

But that is totally on Marcelo. Who am I to tell him what to do. We'll see what happens.

That's a fair point in allowing us too much space in the midfield maybe. But Liam Cooper's positioning for so much of yesterday was.... pretty shit, I think. That spell where we had about 5 shots in as many minutes in the first half, I thought he looked well out of his depth.

But yeah that could also just come down to having to play against us without much protection from midfield so the defense is just constantly under pressure... and it's easy to make mistakes when you let Mane, Jota, and Salah have so much of the ball.

I honestly don't know if we'll play a side that was so open at the back again this season. Sort of reminded me of Leipzig's performance against us, fair play to them for having faith in the quality to score - and same with you, I can't say you didn't have dangerous moments - because you definitely did - but it was a bit naive at the back. Honestly pretty lucky that Mane was pretty wasteful yesterday because the scoreline could have been ugly.

57 minutes ago, Lucas said:

That was a silly tweet from Elliott even at 16, you don't wish to be treated like a kid at that age so you shouldn't act like one.

However, fair play to him for coming out and setting the record straight on yesterday. Even he said it wasn't a red which is refreshing to hear.

IMG_20210913_163855.jpg

Got a lot of time for that as it keeps the awful social media cretins off Pascal's back wishing him the worst when clearly he was upset himself what happened.

Hopefully common sense prevails and Struijk's red will be rescinded and we can all move on and wish Elliott the best in his recovery.

I wasn't aware that Struijk was getting any abuse. While some of his teammates were adamant he should have gotten a red, he just looked pretty distraught at the situation and looked like he felt very very guilty.

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

While some of his teammates were adamant he should have gotten a red, he just looked pretty distraught at the situation and looked like he felt very very guilty.

Probably because he didn't intend to cause such an injury and felt bad about how bad the injury looked (and was)?

56 minutes ago, Stan said:

Probably because he didn't intend to cause such an injury and felt bad about how bad the injury looked (and was)?

If I accidentally gave someone a horrible injury, I'd also look distraught and guilty.

But because of how he reacted in the immediate aftermath of that, I can't understand why anyone would give him abuse for that on social media. It's not like he acted like Son after snapping someone's leg, he seemed genuinely gutted about what had happened.

• Subscriber

I'm unlikely to be able to stem the flow of this very emotive debate but I'm going to try and make the point that both sides are correct anyway.

I think most of us can agree that if Elliot gets up and plays on after that challenge then we wouldn't be debating whether or not that tackle was a red card, maybe there would be one or two posts saying how isn't that a foul, at worst. If you look at it that way, the argument that he shouldn't get a red card is more or less infallible. It's not an uncommon challenge to see on a football pitch even today. By the letter of the law, people are probably right to argue that it isn't a red card offence. We can argue about endangering the safety of an opponent but like I said before, every time you go into contact with another player, someone can get hurt. What Son did to Gomes has happened over 1000 times on a football pitch before and never injured someone. Alan Smith had his leg destroyed when someone kicked a ball at it for fucks sake, the level of danger and risk in a contact sport can never be reduced to zero and that challenge yesterday isn't one of those where there's no place for it in the game.

How far does the letter of the law remain the most important thing in football? When is there room for common sense? I'd say when a lad is sat on the pitch with his leg in two pieces is probably a pretty good time. The default red card, even if it isn't a red card challenge, heads off so many more worse problems. Emotions run high with players when stuff like that happens and a referee removing the player who caused the injury is like a big apology from the officials and the opponents to the team of the injured player. In this instance, Liverpool can play on knowing they've been given as much justice as is possible within the span of the rest of the game, Leeds can play on knowing something horrific happened to the other team but they've sort of paid for it and Struijck doesn't have to carry on playing when he's probably really traumatised. It might not be "fair" for him to get a red for that in a sporting context but some things are more important when emotions are escalated to that level. The option to rescind the red card is always there so that Leeds don't suffer any further from happening to be involved in a freak injury like that. It's a bit unfair on the day if it was an accident but there's a lad with his leg snapped in hospital who's got it worse and it's only a game at the end of the day.

Not to say this isn't up for discussion, but I don't really think it's necessary some of the shit people have been giving each other in this thread and talk of who deserves what. There's no winning from a situation like this and sometimes we have to accept that reality and that an arguably slightly unfair outcome for another player or team in the grand scheme of things is probably the least bad outcome from a poor set of choices.

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If I accidentally gave someone a horrible injury, I'd also look distraught and guilty.

But because of how he reacted in the immediate aftermath of that, I can't understand why anyone would give him abuse for that on social media. It's not like he acted like Son after snapping someone's leg, he seemed genuinely gutted about what had happened.

Well yeah, I think we're both saying the same thing?

How did he react in the immediate aftermath? All I remember is that he was looking a bit dazed and stunned and was almost speechless/motionless? What did he deserve abuse for?

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Well yeah, I think we're both saying the same thing?

How did he react in the immediate aftermath? All I remember is that he was looking a bit dazed and stunned and was almost speechless/motionless? What did he deserve abuse for?

Yeah I think we are too. He did absolutely nothing that merited abuse at all. Genuinely seemed distraught.

12 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I'm unlikely to be able to stem the flow of this very emotive debate but I'm going to try and make the point that both sides are correct anyway.

I think most of us can agree that if Elliot gets up and plays on after that challenge then we wouldn't be debating whether or not that tackle was a red card, maybe there would be one or two posts saying how isn't that a foul, at worst. If you look at it that way, the argument that he shouldn't get a red card is more or less infallible. It's not an uncommon challenge to see on a football pitch even today. By the letter of the law, people are probably right to argue that it isn't a red card offence. We can argue about endangering the safety of an opponent but like I said before, every time you go into contact with another player, someone can get hurt. What Son did to Gomes has happened over 1000 times on a football pitch before and never injured someone. Alan Smith had his leg destroyed when someone kicked a ball at it for fucks sake, the level of danger and risk in a contact sport can never be reduced to zero and that challenge yesterday isn't one of those where there's no place for it in the game.

How far does the letter of the law remain the most important thing in football? When is there room for common sense? I'd say when a lad is sat on the pitch with his leg in two pieces is probably a pretty good time. The default red card, even if it isn't a red card challenge, heads off so many more worse problems. Emotions run high with players when stuff like that happens and a referee removing the player who caused the injury is like a big apology from the officials and the opponents to the team of the injured player. In this instance, Liverpool can play on knowing they've been given as much justice as is possible within the span of the rest of the game, Leeds can play on knowing something horrific happened to the other team but they've sort of paid for it and Struijck doesn't have to carry on playing when he's probably really traumatised. It might not be "fair" for him to get a red for that in a sporting context but some things are more important when emotions are escalated to that level. The option to rescind the red card is always there so that Leeds don't suffer any further from happening to be involved in a freak injury like that. It's a bit unfair on the day if it was an accident but there's a lad with his leg snapped in hospital who's got it worse and it's only a game at the end of the day.

Not to say this isn't up for discussion, but I don't really think it's necessary some of the shit people have been giving each other in this thread and talk of who deserves what. There's no winning from a situation like this and sometimes we have to accept that reality and that an arguably slightly unfair outcome for another player or team in the grand scheme of things is probably the least bad outcome from a poor set of choices.

I think this is probably the right way of dealing with it too, although I can understand why Leeds fans might feel aggrieved that they've suffered a red card for something that wouldn't be a red card if not for a bad leg break (or other serious injury).

20 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Plot twist. The kid had 2 shoes before the scouser moved into the bed next door. 

I know it's only a joke but... I just learned this fairly recently so I'll post it...

Elliott could only give the kid 1 cos the other one had to be cut off because they couldn't just take it off like normal.

You could have made it so much better.

My impersonation this summer of "hen doiii, I'm Arry, my bruvva make me play wiv Pep" was much better than Elliott's and that was better because I was mocking more the stupidity and not the speech impediment

It's only when we've truly grown up, we reel in them all.

Archived