Last 3 Meetings
13/03/2021 - Everton 1-2 Burnley
05/12/2020 - Burnley 1-1 Everton
26/12/2019 - Everton 1-0 Burnley

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Because this is on TV, our first live game of the season, and it will be the focus of Premier League football coverage for that evening, you already know this is going to be a narrative-defining night in the short term and a disproportionate amount of neutral/casual opinion of Everton will be weighted on this game. Win and people will be talking about how far we can go, pushing for 6th/7th and Europe (which I don't think is unfair if we play the way we have in our first three games). Draw/lose and people will say 'same old Everton' and continue to pay little attention to us, probably also fair if we fail to get the three points here.

I'm fairly confident to be honest. First night game at Goodison with a full crowd in almost two years and although they beat us here last season and should never be viewed as pushovers, Burnley have tended to be one of those banker home games for us over the years.

I'm going to reluctantly predict a 2-0 win for us and prepare for the "Everton, that" disappointment that inevitably follows.

On 09/09/2021 at 09:59, RandoEFC said:

Because this is on TV, our first live game of the season, and it will be the focus of Premier League football coverage for that evening, you already know this is going to be a narrative-defining night in the short term and a disproportionate amount of neutral/casual opinion of Everton will be weighted on this game. Win and people will be talking about how far we can go, pushing for 6th/7th and Europe (which I don't think is unfair if we play the way we have in our first three games). Draw/lose and people will say 'same old Everton' and continue to pay little attention to us, probably also fair if we fail to get the three points here.

I'm fairly confident to be honest. First night game at Goodison with a full crowd in almost two years and although they beat us here last season and should never be viewed as pushovers, Burnley have tended to be one of those banker home games for us over the years.

I'm going to reluctantly predict a 2-0 win for us and prepare for the "Everton, that" disappointment that inevitably follows.

Will Gray start you think? He's in my fantasy team lol.

On 09/09/2021 at 01:59, RandoEFC said:

I think you’ll win 2-0 or 3-0… or alternatively the same scores but with Burnley getting a scrappy goal late on.

Dunno why I think that, I just do xD

I have to admit I don't really know why this game was chosen over Leicester v man city or man utd v Newcastle which had a lot of history before Ronaldo rejoined. No offence to Everton but who wants to watch Burnley 

7 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I have to admit I don't really know why this game was chosen over Leicester v man city or man utd v Newcastle which had a lot of history before Ronaldo rejoined. No offence to Everton but who wants to watch Burnley 

Three of the teams you mention are in Europe so they wouldn't play on a Monday night

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Three of the teams you mention are in Europe so they wouldn't play on a Monday night

Fair enough. I just think it's a bit weird that those games weren't arranged some how to be on tv 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

We played on a Monday night last season before a Thursday Europa League game. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Man Utd vs Newcastle is a pretty average game if you remove the Ronaldo context. I'm surprised Man City vs Leicester wasn't picked up. They can sell this fixture as the first televised Everton game this season whilst also ticking off one of their quote of Burnley games. I imagine if they televised the Man City vs Leicester game they'd have to sacrifice a desirable game elsewhere or something and that's why they haven't ended up with it.

14 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Man Utd vs Newcastle is a pretty average game if you remove the Ronaldo context. I'm surprised Man City vs Leicester wasn't picked up. They can sell this fixture as the first televised Everton game this season whilst also ticking off one of their quote of Burnley games. I imagine if they televised the Man City vs Leicester game they'd have to sacrifice a desirable game elsewhere or something and that's why they haven't ended up with it.

In my opinion no top 4 team home game to any of the bottom 10 should ever be selected for television. 

• Subscriber

Anyone without a vested interest who deliberately watches the second half of this needs to reevaluate their life choices xD

We've been rusty but at least there were some positive signs toward the end. Not convinced three centre backs was the play here. Get someone like Iwobi on further up in place of a defender.

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Anyone without a vested interest who deliberately watches the second half of this needs to reevaluate their life choices xD

We've been rusty but at least there were some positive signs toward the end. Not convinced three centre backs was the play here. Get someone like Iwobi on further up in place of a defender.

Two goals in it though! Not been that bad, either.

First half seemed quite physical. Atkinson let a lot go but surprised a couple of yellows weren't shown.

Loved the Tarkowski challenge on Richarlison. Glad that wasn't penalised.

7 minutes ago, Devil said:

Townsend and Gray for a combined fee of less than 2 million.

Nobody is laughing anymore. Rafa doing well with Everton, actually seems written he will be the man to do well for them.

Weirdly, I think Rafa is a perfect fit for Everton. It's the job he's always wanted after leaving us, tbh. They're ambitious, even if they've failed at numerous rebuilds - they have the ambition to keep rebuilding to try to turn the corner... and he's always been looking for a club where he can oversee a long term project. He's "past his best" as a manager maybe - but I still think he's a very good manager. Everton he's got a good core of players that is a good foundation for building a club to take the next turn.

I think there's a reason why Newcastle fans loved him so much - because he managed to get cohesive football (even if it wasn't the prettiest) out of not that great of a side without any real backing. And sure Steve Bruce may have beaten his best finish with Newcastle, but pretty much every Newcastle fan I know thinks their style of football isn't sustainable for trying to grow as a football team.

At Everton I think he's got a much better squad than he ever had at Newcastle. And I suspect they'll improve once he gets to add more and more players to the side and make it more "his" Everton.

So while the blueshites may not have wanted him... if he wins something with Everton ever (which I know is a big ask, but I think it's certainly possible with this squad and this manager)... he may go down as a bona fide Merseyside legend. Someone Liverpool and Everton fans could end up having shitloads of respect for.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

That 7 minute period was very arousing.

Olés under the Goodison lights, things you love to see.

I think he'll be your manager one day. 

• The title was changed to Everton 3-1 Burnley - Monday 13th September, 2021
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived