• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other PL Round 4 Matches - Saturday 11th September, 2021

football forum

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

He's second in the best debuts table today too.

He was second to one of your players. Assuming he was a sub because he scored a goal every 3 minutes 😂

• Administrator

Man City just too strong for us today. We were a bit slow and laborious and took too long to try and get attacks going. When we did though, we looked electric and at least tried to test Ederson. Sadly wasn't anywhere near enough to give them enough of a test. 

We made them work hard for the goal though given several blocks and saves from defence and Kasper. Took a blocked shot to fall kindly to Silva for them to open it up. It was a deserved win though so can't really knock that. Would have been another 5-0 for them on another day. 

Vestergaard, Ndidi and Castagne were out better players. Soyuncu looked better today. Barnes was really bad - looked a bit disinterested and lost. 

A few of our own fans getting on Maddison's back again but i don't think he was that bad. Yeah he could do more but people act like he wasn't trying or purposely would give the ball away. He was crowded round by Rodri most of the game but when he did find space he looked to drive forward. He wasn't the worst of our players though. 

4 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Schmeichel is keeping them in it at the moment, if only we had a striker :coffee:

He had a good game I thought. Definitely kept the score low. 

4 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

BERNARDOOOOOO!!!! 1-0  ..it's been coming :drunk:

Grealish played it to Joao Cancelo on the left of the box and his low shot is deflected into the path of Bernardo who fires into the roof of the net to make it 1-0 

Deserved win. We'd have been lucky to get a point had it stayed 0-0.

• Subscriber

Meh.

Positives were that the centre halves had good games. Soyuncu looked a bit back to himself today and I thought Vestergaard had a really decent game, for how long he was on anyway, and it's nice seeing both him and Evans feature. Felt like an odd sub to make but can assume that was the plan all along, just typical for us to concede immediately after it.

Can't really say a great deal else positive though. Schmeichel's saves were good but his kicking is so poor. He will at least once a game pass it straight to the opposition in our half, and it must've happened today at least three, maybe even four times. You can't keep putting yourselves in trouble.

Overall it was just a bit flat though and it's the type of game that exposes our lack of firepower. Not one of the front four had a good game. Barnes has made a slow start this season, as has Maddison, who has now gone 15 games without a goal or an assist. I don't see how you can keep leaving Iheanacho out. He produces something nearly every time he gets on the pitch now even if it's just a cameo. Iheanacho deserves to play.

We just need a bit of a freshen up. I think playing a Europa League game on Thursday will force us to do this however, even if the opposition are as tough as we could've had.

Can't really tell what I think of us so far. Got the feeling we're going to end up 7th-9th.

15 hours ago, Lucas said:

Massive win for Arsenal in the 6 pointer. Credit to them.

You joke but they are that bad at present I’d love to see them in a dogfight as theirs no backbone in the whole squad really they would collapse. 

4 hours ago, The Premier Steve's said:

Think we might flush this time. Truth is Martin Dubravka has saved us defensively last years. Now he's out we are in trouble. By the time he is back we could be long gone.

Thought poor keeping for both Ronaldo’s goal yesterday when I saw the highlights. A Geordie mate of mine is ready to throw cabbages, with Bruce 2 years in I expect you’ve still not got a style of play yet.

You could tell that the Arsenal team that played Norwich were low on confidence, but the quality and talent was on show. The first 11 they have is really good, behind that not so much. They need to build on this win and try and keep everyone fit to get a good run of form going.

35 minutes ago, Stan said:

@Danny saw highlights of your game. You must be gutted somewhat, looked like you deserved 3 points. Sanchez and some wasteful finishing meaning otherwise. 

Yeah and no, I think the chances looked better than they actually were. Neither side really produced a clear goal scoring opportunity, but Trossard just managed to score a really neatly struck shot from outside of the area.

I read online someone say that we’d of been disappointed with a draw, let alone a loss. I don’t think we created enough to score tbh, and if we did score it would have been down to a moment of excellence. But that is maybe a wake up call for Mbeumo, that it’s not just enough to be in position, sometimes the straightforward chances don’t come by and you have to have a moment of excellence inside you.

I think as an attacking unit we’re still working things out and will get better, but defensively I think we’re good.

Just saw arsenal on match of the day. Improved performance. The goal was onside. Maybe it would have been disallowed last season for handball but it would be harsh it was right next to saka. And I think most fans dont want var to get involved to much so most of the time you will probably get those .

• The topic was unpinned
On 12/09/2021 at 10:42, Fairy In Boots said:

Thought poor keeping for both Ronaldo’s goal yesterday when I saw the highlights. A Geordie mate of mine is ready to throw cabbages, with Bruce 2 years in I expect you’ve still not got a style of play yet.

Less so than before. Back end of last season we had the semblance of a style. 

The # 1 problem with Bruce are the words that come out of his mouth. He is the antithesis of what a football club should be about and who it belongs to. He depresses me. Irritates me. He says all the wrong things. 

I'll be honest, Steve Bruce, is the massive fucking straw that broke the camels back for me. I find after 2 decades of barely ever missing a game in person, on tv, stream or radio, I now repeatedly don't bother. Bruce and what comes out of his mouth is a such a big reason for that. 

After this Man Utd game he blamed the local press for brainwashing fans against him. 

He just needs to go.

4 hours ago, The Premier Steve's said:

Less so than before. Back end of last season we had the semblance of a style. 

The # 1 problem with Bruce are the words that come out of his mouth. He is the antithesis of what a football club should be about and who it belongs to. He depresses me. Irritates me. He says all the wrong things. 

I'll be honest, Steve Bruce, is the massive fucking straw that broke the camels back for me. I find after 2 decades of barely ever missing a game in person, on tv, stream or radio, I now repeatedly don't bother. Bruce and what comes out of his mouth is a such a big reason for that. 

After this Man Utd game he blamed the local press for brainwashing fans against him. 

He just needs to go.

I saw he blamed grass vs us a few weeks back, same old Bruce. He does pick up a player or two though and I rate willock he will do well for you

The thing that always baffles me is just the sheer refusal to concede the tiniest fault, ever. For a manager who has had some pretty rotten spells in management, I really don't think I've ever seen Steve Bruce put his hands up and say "my bad" or talk about what he needs to do differently. 

At the high levels of basically any profession, an ability to reflect and be self-critical is a basic requirement. From the way he behaves, you'd think Bruce is more confident in his own abilities than the likes of Tuchel, Klopp or Guardiola are.

I wonder if it confuses him that a manager who has never made a mistake and has done a good job everywhere he's been has never progressed in his career.

Archived