talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ships and Seafaring

football forum

• Subscriber

Appreciation thread for everything nautical, regardless if it's old vessels, modern container and cargo ships, massive cruise liners, tiny boats or just the peculiarities of sea travel in general.

I'm fascinated by ships; they are marvels of engineering for me. 

Amerigo Vespucci, also known as the most beautiful ship in the world. Still part of the Italian navy as a training ship.

9ec12411-ba37-4f34-a07d-4ca7c93cc3favesp

YvdtdHFa7gHXy3mUpXc_KTj8LOqFZtTfL--g4xS7

5e1eaffb-87a2-4244-a26b-06ab4844f1d7vesp

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Subscriber

Good thread seeing my old man was a sailor in the subs during the war and in the merchant navy after WWll

I have mentioned this before one of the greatest experiences and a nostalgic one for me was when we emigrated to Australia in 1960 and we went by ship, the SS Himalaya, 6 weeks at sea and we stopped at Gibraltar, Port Said and Aden and through the Suez canal.

And the funniest site we saw was an Arab dressed all in white and sitting in the sand with his cloak pulled up having a crap, we all yelled at him having a good laugh and waving to him and he stood up and waved back then continued where he had left doing his bit in the sand,  I was only 11 years old then.

But it was a brilliant time, when we crossed the equator the captain of the ship dressed up as King Neptune and sat on a pole stretched across the swimming pool with a pillow and we all took turns and slid across the pole and tried to knock him off with a pillow.

We all were classed as emigrants so we were all allocated at the stern of the ship and paying passengers were at the front of the bow, many a time as kids we sneaked into the front end of the ship for a runaround and got chased back by sailors on duty.

SS Himalaya

download (1).png

download.png

When we were at primary school in the 50's our class spent a day travelling to London and a tour of the Cutty Sark in Greenwich.

cutty-sark-greenwich_climb-aboard-the-world-famous-cutty-sark-image-courtesy-of-cutty-sark_6e644402ee513db7862579a3916c58bd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Good thread seeing my old man was a sailor in the subs during the war and in the merchant navy after WWll

I have mentioned this before one of the greatest experiences and a nostalgic one for me was when we emigrated to Australia in 1960 and we went by ship, the SS Himalaya, 6 weeks at sea and we stopped at Gibraltar, Port Said and Aden and through the Suez canal.

And the funniest site we saw was an Arab dressed all in white and sitting in the sand with his cloak pulled up having a crap, we all yelled at him having a good laugh and waving to him and he stood up and waved back then continued where he had left doing his bit in the sand,  I was only 11 years old then.

But it was a brilliant time, when we crossed the equator the captain of the ship dressed up as King Neptune and sat on a pole stretched across the swimming pool with a pillow and we all took turns and slid across the pole and tried to knock him off with a pillow.

We all were classed as emigrants so we were all allocated at the stern of the ship and paying passengers were at the front of the bow, many a time as kids we sneaked into the front end of the ship for a runaround and got chased back by sailors on duty.

SS Himalaya

download (1).png

download.png

When we were at primary school in the 50's our class spent a day travelling to London and a tour of the Cutty Sark in Greenwich.

cutty-sark-greenwich_climb-aboard-the-world-famous-cutty-sark-image-courtesy-of-cutty-sark_6e644402ee513db7862579a3916c58bd.jpg

6 weeks at sea... How wonderful, must have been a brilliant journey. I'm jealous!

Other than ferries, I've only been on smaller ships, mostly on the Mekong river. My favourite experience was a two day trip on Halong Bay with one of those Red Dragon junk boats: 

download.jpeg

I have always had a love for the old galleys of Greece and Rome back in the day.. 

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

We should bring them back and we can put all the criminals in them doing continuous round the UK cruises as a form of hard labour.. You keep going round until either you pass away or complete how ever many years it is you get... :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, nudge said:

6 weeks at sea... How wonderful, must have been a brilliant journey. I'm jealous!

It was nostalgic memories for me, sitting on a deck chair at the stern and looking around and seeing the deep blue ocean only and sky around and the slipstream of the ships propellers  as it sailed along then you would get the occasional dolphins following the ship or you knew when you were nearing land as gulls were fighting over the ships jettison where the cookhouse would discharge leftover food from the mess kitchen.

download.png

f60fa1ba-4c54-48f2-b93d-87326d9f50a4.png

download (1).png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

It was nostalgic memories for me, sitting on a deck chair at the stern and looking around and seeing the deep blue ocean only and sky around and the slipstream of the ships propellers  as it sailed along then you would get the occasional dolphins following the ship or you knew when you were nearing land as gulls were fighting over the ships jettison where the cookhouse would discharge leftover food from the mess kitchen.

download.png

f60fa1ba-4c54-48f2-b93d-87326d9f50a4.png

download (1).png

Seeing dolphins is so cool when they swim along your ship! We went dolphin and whale watching in Tenerife a few months ago, and it was one of the best experiences I ever had.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Growing up the only holidays we did were on cruise ships, I absolutely love sailing and as someone who likes to travel as much as possible, they allow me to see as many countries as possible within a 1-2 week period.

I've ticked off most of Europe, so had planned to start sailing around America before Covid struck! Will be in this thread quite a bit though, love being out at sea.

• Like 1

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Growing up the only holidays we did were on cruise ships, I absolutely love sailing and as someone who likes to travel as much as possible, they allow me to see as many countries as possible within a 1-2 week period.

I've ticked off most of Europe, so had planned to start sailing around America before Covid struck! Will be in this thread quite a bit though, love being out at sea.

See, I absolutely love cruise ships and love spotting/tracking them. I think they are beautiful, and it's incredible how well coordinated the actions of hundreds of people must be to make it function smoothly. That said, I can't imagine myself going on a cruise - the idea of being there with a thousand or so other passengers, it would drive me mad 😅

• Subscriber

When we stopped (docked) in Aden that's when the Bum Boats came out and they would come beside the ship and throw ropes up to the decks with cups or tins attached, you would look at the gifts they had in their boats, point out what you wanted, they would call out or indicate with their hands how much to put in the cups/tins and then they would pull the rope down and your gift would arrive in the cup/tin.

My old man being an ex-navy man knew all of their tricks what they would try to do, he kept hold of the rope until they put the gift in the tin as one of the guys tried to pull the cup down with the money in it and keep the gift, my old man just kept hold of the rope and tin with the money in and yelled out " PUT THE GIFT IN THE FUCKING TIN!!!", the guy did as he knew my old man would not give him the money without the gift.😂

download.png

The only sad bit for me what I remember was stopping in Port Said and going on a walk around with my mum, dad, wee brother and sisters, you seen a lot of beggars and some of them were deformed with hands missing arms pulled out of joint and there was one young child must have been around 4 years old sitting on the side of the road with no arms or legs and with a tin cup around her neck with string crying and a note in English asking for money, my old man told me later that the parents would deform their children when they were young so they could beg for money, I never knew to this day if he was right about that.

Edited by CaaC (John)
Spelling check
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Khan of TF365 said:

Sea travel like air travel should be more common around the world. Some places are cheaper and more easily accessible by sea.

I would love it, and tried looking for opportunities to go to Europe from Asia and return by sea instead of flying, but there were unfortunately way too few options available; not very affordable either. The best bet is finding a cargo ship that accepts limited number of passengers, but even that's quite challenging, and covid obviously made it even more complicated-

Most people don't want slow travel anymore, sadly.

• Upvote 1

On 09/09/2021 at 12:58, Dr. Gonzo said:

I like the idea of going on a cruise but I've never been on one

I've been on two cruises and they've both been good trips.  The first was the Pacific coast of Mexico and the second was the Caribbean.  Would definitely do it again.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber

Even when I decided to leave Australia I went by ship/jet which was a cheap form of travel, spent a few days at sea travelling from Fremantle on a ship but it was in hammocks as it sailed along when you were asleep the ship if it hit some rough water the hammock would swing and it was soothing as hell, I snored my head off, we landed in Singapore and stayed in the hotel Singapore for 2 days and the flew onto the UK, Heathrow I think it was, my mind kept flashing back to the sea trips emigrating years before and just then.

I have been on a few ferries in my time, travelling back to Germany with the wife from Hull to Zeebrugge and then a train all the way to Dortmund, then in NI when we were returning from a tour of duty, also when we went on an exercise in my army days on a ship from Germany to Aberporth in Wales and years later went on holiday with the wife and kids on a ferry from Glasgow to the Isle of Bute.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Found an incredible documentary on how the mega diesel engines for ships are being built.

German:

English:

The scale of it... Absolutely incredible. Not surprising for a 13600 HP monster, but still, it's amazing how much work and precision goes into it. 

maxresdefault.jpg

954818.1024.jpg

On 14/09/2021 at 14:37, nudge said:

Found an incredible documentary on how the mega diesel engines for ships are being built.

German:

English:

The scale of it... Absolutely incredible. Not surprising for a 13600 HP monster, but still, it's amazing how much work and precision goes into it. 

maxresdefault.jpg

954818.1024.jpg

You think one day they'll ever run ships (and shit like planes too, tbh) on something that's cleaner than diesel?

• Subscriber
17 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You think one day they'll ever run ships (and shit like planes too, tbh) on something that's cleaner than diesel?

At the moment there are simply no cheap and widely available solutions to significantly reduce the emissions of the shipping industry. In the future? Absolutely. The research into clean(er) fuels is still very young, and while there are some applications already, it will take a while to find the best alternative that is clean, has high energy density, and is affordable enough. Hydrogen, ammonia, methanol are probably the only realistic option at this point, but each of them also has specific disadvantages. The biggest issue imo is that the whole infrastructure will need to be changed, from how the ships and engines are built, to the fueling infrastructure in all the ports worldwide. This will certainly take time...

Safe nuclear propulsion would be a dream, and new developments in nuclear technology should enable it, if the public accepts it. Molten salt reactors sound like a great prospect - non-weapon grade, low risk of explosions, operates at atmospheric pressure, no leaks of radioactive steam and cooling water, reduced size, generates much less and shorter-lived radioactive waste, higher efficiency, cheaper than conventional reactors, plentiful in nature, potential to consume nuclear waste. 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

At the moment there are simply no cheap and widely solutions to significantly reduce the emissions of the shipping industry. In the future? Absolutely. The research into clean(er) fuels is still very young, and while there are some applications already, it will take a while to find the best alternative that is clean, has high energy density, and is affordable enough. Hydrogen, ammonia, methanol are probably the only realistic option at this point, but each of them also has specific disadvantages. The biggest issue imo is that the whole infrastructure will need to be changed, from how the ships and engines are built, to the fueling infrastructure in all the ports worldwide. This will certainly take time...

Safe nuclear propulsion would be a dream, and new developments in nuclear technology should enable it, if the public accepts it. Molten salt reactors sound like a great prospect - non-weapon grade, low risk of explosions, operates at atmospheric pressure, no leaks of radioactive steam and cooling water, reduced size, generates much less and shorter-lived radioactive waste, higher efficiency, cheaper than conventional reactors, plentiful in nature, potential to consume nuclear waste. 

Whale pulled carriage boats was more where my head was at