• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2021 - Russian GP - 24-26th September

football forum

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Should be Hamilton's to lose with Max's grid penalty, even if it's only three places. Worst case scenario for Lewis would be Bottas and Max qualifying ahead of him so they start BOT-HAM-??? with Max 4th or 5th. Then with another start on the dirty side of the grid he could fall behind a fast-starting Perez or McLaren/Ferrari from 3rd and get backed into Max. It ought to be an interesting dynamic. If Max had received a 5 place penalty instead of just 3, it would seem more like a no-brainer for Red Bull to get the engine penalty out of the way too. A 3 place penalty leaves him tantalisingly close to still being able to win the race if he qualifies fastest and gets a good start, but the risk remains that qualifying 3rd fastest behind the two Mercedes, starting 6th and losing a couple of places early on could leave him off the podium with a further 10-place penalty likely to be needed at another later race. I expect they won't make the decision until they see what the pace looks like during the practice sessions. Weekends like this are where they need Perez to step up and compete with the Mercedes for the race win but all I can see happening is another 7th or so in qualifying and an uphill struggle to finish 4th or 5th.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Should be Hamilton's to lose with Max's grid penalty, even if it's only three places. Worst case scenario for Lewis would be Bottas and Max qualifying ahead of him so they start BOT-HAM-??? with Max 4th or 5th. Then with another start on the dirty side of the grid he could fall behind a fast-starting Perez or McLaren/Ferrari from 3rd and get backed into Max. It ought to be an interesting dynamic. If Max had received a 5 place penalty instead of just 3, it would seem more like a no-brainer for Red Bull to get the engine penalty out of the way too. A 3 place penalty leaves him tantalisingly close to still being able to win the race if he qualifies fastest and gets a good start, but the risk remains that qualifying 3rd fastest behind the two Mercedes, starting 6th and losing a couple of places early on could leave him off the podium with a further 10-place penalty likely to be needed at another later race. I expect they won't make the decision until they see what the pace looks like during the practice sessions. Weekends like this are where they need Perez to step up and compete with the Mercedes for the race win but all I can see happening is another 7th or so in qualifying and an uphill struggle to finish 4th or 5th.

I'll show my ignorance here, but in regards to the bolded, how long does it take to change the engine? I would imagine it would take a very long time, not something they could successfully perform after practice sessions. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Eco said:

I'll show my ignorance here, but in regards to the bolded, how long does it take to change the engine? I would imagine it would take a very long time, not something they could successfully perform after practice sessions. 

They can easily do it between two practice sessions and certainly overnight between Friday and Saturday. Teams only really get problems if someone makes a proper wreck of their car in say Practice One and they barely get it out before the end of Practice Two, or sometimes people miss Qualifying after a Practice Three crash on a weekend where there's only a couple of hours between the sessions.

• Subscriber

Regarding sexy bum Lewis at Monza. Looking at his starts in both the sprint race and the actual race. Now for both he started on the dirty side of the track. For the sprint race he's on the dirty side of the track on the fastest tires and gets an horrible start. The actual race he got an immense start on the hards on the dirty side of the track. Does it show that a good launch and counter being on the dirty side of the track?

• Subscriber
48 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Regarding sexy bum Lewis at Monza. Looking at his starts in both the sprint race and the actual race. Now for both he started on the dirty side of the track. For the sprint race he's on the dirty side of the track on the fastest tires and gets an horrible start. The actual race he got an immense start on the hards on the dirty side of the track. Does it show that a good launch and counter being on the dirty side of the track?

Both Lewis and Toto said that he just went too deep on the clutch and had wheelspin as a result, hence the poor sprint race start. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived