talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Do you still wear a mask?

football forum

I know there is a covid thread but sometimes questions can get lost so I wanted to start a new thread. I'd appreciate it if the mods didn't put it in the covid thread as I am interested in it. @Stan

So do you still wear your mask? Where I live when they first stopped it being compulsory about 80% of people still did. However now I think it is less than 50%. I always wear my mask in a shop and generally in indoor shopping centres. However the other day I did feel a bit self conscious because hardly anyone was wearing it in the shopping centre. 

I quite often wonder why people arent wearing them. Its  not really that inconvenient and could help but for some reason some people have decided  not to 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Eco said:

Yes. 

I hope it's something that sick people continue to do. When I lived in China it's common practice (and respectful) to wear a mask if you are in public and have a cold, or any other illness. 

Yeah I heard that. I thought it was because of pollution but I did hear it is because of not spreading germs which is good 

Just now, nudge said:

Yeah, in shops, planes, taxi, bus, and sometimes in crowded places, depending on situation.

This is pretty much what I do. However I do sometimes feel a bit self conscious in a pub if other people arent wearing one when going to the bar 

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Yeah I heard that. I thought it was because of pollution but I did hear it is because of not spreading germs which is good 

Yeah, I started to wear a mask when I had a cold and had to go into public after living in China. It's just the responsible thing to do. 

• Subscriber

This is pretty much what I do. However I do sometimes feel a bit self conscious in a pub if other people arent wearing one when going to the bar 

Fuck them, just do what you're comfortable with. 

Personally I dont understand why the mask rules were abandoned. The economy wouldn't have suffered with a mask mandate still in place. Should have just kept it in I think 

Personally I dont understand why the mask rules were abandoned. The economy wouldn't have suffered with a mask mandate still in place. Should have just kept it in I think 

Because people get all huffy with the government telling them what they can, and can't do. 

3 minutes ago, Eco said:

Because people get all huffy with the government telling them what they can, and can't do. 

I dont think it's to bad in England. I think it would have been better imo. Lots of the protests were more about lockdowns 

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

I dont think it's to bad in England. I think it would have been better imo. Lots of the protests were more about lockdowns 

Ah, a lot of people were are very sensitive with government intervention, including the masks mandates. 

I'm not fussed either way. I think it makes sense for companies to decide on their own rules for customers. 

3 minutes ago, Eco said:

Ah, a lot of people were are very sensitive with government intervention, including the masks mandates. 

I'm not fussed either way. I think it makes sense for companies to decide on their own rules for customers. 

They were but with the lockdowns abandoned I think it would have been ok and better to keep the mask mandate. The reason is that a lot of people wont mind wearing them but may not wear them if other arent. Have you been in England during the pandemic? If not it can be quite easy to think there was more resistance than there was by watching the news. A lot of the mandates were considered necessary by most people 

They were but with the lockdowns abandoned I think it would have been ok and better to keep the mask mandate. The reason is that a lot of people wont mind wearing them but may not wear them if other arent. Have you been in England during the pandemic? If not it can be quite easy to think there was more resistance than there was by watching the news. A lot of the mandates were considered necessary by most people 

No, I haven't been anywhere outside of a 10 hour drive since the pandemic started. 

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

No, I haven't been anywhere outside of a 10 hour drive since the pandemic started. 

10 hour drive!! Ha ha can see you are American I've never drove that far in my life 😂

10 hour drive!! Ha ha can see you are American I've never drove that far in my life 😂

haha - yeah. We drove to the beach about 5 times this year to just get away. It's about 7-8 hours drive to our little private location. haha

Just now, Eco said:

haha - yeah. We drove to the beach about 5 times this year to just get away. It's about 7-8 hours drive to our little private location. haha

I think you could probably almost drive from the most southern part of England to the most northern part of scotland in that time.   Or if  it not much more😂

11 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think you could probably almost drive from the most southern part of England to the most northern part of scotland in that time.   Or if  it not much more😂

@Eco I had to Google it. The most southerly part of England to the most northerly part of scotland on mainland Britain is lizard point to dunnet head. Which is 834.7 miles and will take you 14 hours 42 minutes.  Or you can go by motorway but that will take over 20 hours. 

@Eco I had to Google it. The most southerly part of England to the most northerly part of scotland on mainland Britain is lizard point to dunnet head. Which is 834.7 miles and will take you 14 hours 42 minutes.  Or you can go by motorway but that will take over 20 hours. 

Sounds like a nice little run that I should add to my bucket list. :)

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

To be fair, I don't think it would've been fair on shops to be continually forced to enforce such a rule. I don't it's fair that staff, who have a difficult job to do already, are mandated by the state to enforce mask-wearing as it would just end up with them getting constant abuse from both sides of the mask debate. 

Also, I saw a lot of people on social media publishing pictures of shop staff (and others in customer facing roles) they've taken unsolicited photos of not wearing a mask correctly, tagging in the company concerned demanding action, which no doubt resulted in these staff losing their positions. 

11 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Yes. As it is mandatory where I live. 

If given the choice, No. I would not. 

Interesting. Why is that? It doesnt really inconvenience you that much but could help 

12 minutes ago, Ploughendplonker said:

To be fair, I don't think it would've been fair on shops to be continually forced to enforce such a rule. I don't it's fair that staff, who have a difficult job to do already, are mandated by the state to enforce mask-wearing as it would just end up with them getting constant abuse from both sides of the mask debate. 

Also, I saw a lot of people on social media publishing pictures of shop staff (and others in customer facing roles) they've taken unsolicited photos of not wearing a mask correctly, tagging in the company concerned demanding action, which no doubt resulted in these staff losing their positions. 

I wasn't actually against staff not having to wear them. I use to have to wear them at work and it was very hard in a hot kitchen. However customers are genuinely only in for less than half hour which isnt much to ask I dont think. I do get what you mean about it being hard on staff though. Maybe they could have kept it mandatory in supermarkets and big shops as they have security??

4 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Interesting. Why is that? It doesnt really inconvenience you that much but could help 

Where I live, If there is no mask mandate it means that the number of cases are down and hospital ICU beds aren't flooded. I still stand by my same point I made several months ago. It's all about personal responsibility. You are fully vaccinated and don't want to wear a mask. By all means. If you are vaccinated but are still worried about the variant, wear a mask. If you aren't vaccinated because you don't believe in vaccinations, then don't wear one. However, the latter will ultimately be the reason why we will forever keep going in circles. 

It will either be we wear a mask forever, or vaccinations become mandatory. There will always be another variant. 

Archived