talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jimmy Greaves Dies Aged 81

football forum

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do just about remember watching & enjoying the Saint & Greavsie show. Right toward the end.

I was introduced to the history of international football with the idea that it would have been Jimmy Greaves rather than Geoff Hurst had it not been for injury. Would. Not could. Not should. Always would. Every time my grandad recollected those days to me.

• Subscriber

RIP. 

What a goal scoring record he had.

Greaves' goals record means his name will be included in any debate about England's greatest forwards. He scored 44 times in 57 matches for his country while his 266 goals in 379 appearances for Tottenham remains a club record, as does his 41 goals in 40 games for Chelsea during the 1960/61 season.

44 – His international goals, fourth on England’s all-time list behind Wayne Rooney, Sir Bobby Charlton and Gary Lineker.

57 – caps for his country, far fewer than any other England player with 40 or more goals.

6 – international hat-tricks, still a record. That includes four-goal hauls against Northern Ireland in 1963 and Norway in 1966. 41 – league goals for Chelsea in the 1960-61 season, during which he turned 21.

114 – goals scored for the youth team after signing for Chelsea in 1956.

17 – Greaves’ age when he made his first-team debut for Chelsea, scoring in a 1-1 draw with Tottenham.

100 – number of league goals Greaves had scored by the age of 20. He remains the youngest player to reach the landmark.

266 – goals in his 10 years at Tottenham, making him the club’s record scorer. He is also seventh on Chelsea’s all-time list with 132.

RIP Jimmy Greaves

Another of our great English footballers of the past has sadly passed away. The Saint and Greavsie show was very popular years ago and it is sad that both stars of the show, Ian St. John and now Jimmy Greaves have both passed away this year. 

Greaves was an English football legend and a loveable, friendly character off the pitch. He will be sorely missed by the football community.

Archived