talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL Cup 2021/22 - Third Round Matches

football forum

1 hour ago, Stan said:

3000 Evertonians have filled out the away end at QPR. 

Leeds have apparently taken 5,500 to Fulham, taking half the total attendance. 

Great efforts from those fans on a weekday for this comp.

Yeah, that was great to see.

IMG_20210921_211006.jpg

Pretty dull game in truth but great for the some of the Under 23's to be involved and win a game, albeit on penalties.

Charlie Cresswell at centre back will be one to keep an eye on, looked classy tonight playing next to Phillips who marshalled him through very well.

Summerville on the wing has something about him too. Gelhardt is the red hot prospect but he didnt have much time to show anything. Nice pen though.

This is a great pic, it meant a lot given our start, especially seeing Forshaw on the pitch after 2 years out.

Onwards we go.

IMG_20210921_221425.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Injured, Begovic might have played anyway though, I think he did in the last round.

How bad's the injury?

I hate the fucker, but there's no doubt he's a big loss for Everton as he's definitely a very good keeper. Tbh, as far as backups go... Begovic is probably better than most of the league have available... but it's still shit going from one of the better players in the league in his position to someone that's substantially less good.

• Administrator

Mixed squad from us. Some expected, some not so. Thought Tielemans, Ndidi and Evans would be rested. 

Happy Kelechi, Lookman and Dewsbury-Hall start. Thought Daka would as well though. 

• Subscriber
56 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

How bad's the injury?

I hate the fucker, but there's no doubt he's a big loss for Everton as he's definitely a very good keeper. Tbh, as far as backups go... Begovic is probably better than most of the league have available... but it's still shit going from one of the better players in the league in his position to someone that's substantially less good.

Pickford, Coleman and Richarlison were all surprise omissions on Saturday and Benitez said 2-3 weeks for each (along with Calvert-Lewin). Not great particularly upfront as Rondon is a bit of a desperate signing but nothing else was available with our budget this summer and he's also nowhere near his mediocre best because he hasn't played in 4 months and has had a week or two's training. Begovic is alright but it's just frustrating watching that shootout knowing that Pickford, who excels in those circumstances, would have saved about 3 of their penalties. You also lose the ability to knock the ball about as much and to launch the ball to an attacker in space from your own penalty box. Honestly I know there's a lot of banter around Pickford and that he went through a bad phase of mistakes (that ended the best part of a year ago) but I simply can't understand our fans who still dis him when you look at what we've got available in other parts of the pitch.

0-0 at the break against Villa. 

Poor performance from us with some poor individual displays and a few players still not match sharp. Villa well organised at the back which is making things more difficult. 

Chalobah and Kepa keeping us in it. 

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Pickford, Coleman and Richarlison were all surprise omissions on Saturday and Benitez said 2-3 weeks for each (along with Calvert-Lewin). Not great particularly upfront as Rondon is a bit of a desperate signing but nothing else was available with our budget this summer and he's also nowhere near his mediocre best because he hasn't played in 4 months and has had a week or two's training. Begovic is alright but it's just frustrating watching that shootout knowing that Pickford, who excels in those circumstances, would have saved about 3 of their penalties. You also lose the ability to knock the ball about as much and to launch the ball to an attacker in space from your own penalty box. Honestly I know there's a lot of banter around Pickford and that he went through a bad phase of mistakes (that ended the best part of a year ago) but I simply can't understand our fans who still dis him when you look at what we've got available in other parts of the pitch.

I didn't even know there were Evertonians that disliked Pickford. Literally all of my bluenose friends love the fucker - all players, well pretty much all of them, have periods where they look far more shit than they normally do. I think it's pretty clear Pickford is one of the best keepers in England, despite little arms and generally being an angry little dickhead, so I'm surprised there are Evertonians out there that don't like him. I'd be quite pleased with him, tbh. He's one of the best in his position in the country and having an angry little dickhead on your side is fun... when he's your angry little dickhead.

Having a top level keeper out always affects a side, imo. It's one of the most important positions for a reason.

Richarlison, Coleman and DCL are also obviously big misses. I think Rondon's an alright player, maybe not the best option up front... but it's pretty clear he's some way off DCL xD - he's also got to get used to playing in England again after being in a league that was a much lower standard than even the Championship. So I think going from DCL, who at this point has proven me to be way wrong about him several years ago, and going to a backup like Rondon's always going to hurt a side. It's just a big drop off in quality. And then Richarlison and Coleman (well, tbh, I dunno - is Coleman still as important as he used to be) are just big players that I assume Everton would miss just like any club would miss two of their better players playing for them.

Everton's depth definitely doesn't help in times like this. Like you say, that's the result of lacking foresight and failing to properly build for the future with the shitload of rebuilds Everton have had to go through over the last few seasons.

By the week, CHO is growing more and more disappointing. A season where he is healthy and had a head start over everyone else, he is still the only player at this club that has showed us nothing. 

Can't use the Achilles tear as an excuse anymore. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived