talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

16 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Really mate? 

My parents always use to give it to me if I was ill as a kid, maybe there's some connection there. How was Lucozade viewed back then?

Indeed mate, I kid you not. It would be seen as a given on absolutely every hospital bedside and you’d drink it if you wished obviously.

Back in the day it wasn’t seen as a sports energy drink until Daley Thompson started advertising it on tv. Back then it was seen as a drink that was good for you. This was way before it was sold as a typical softdrink at your local newsagent as you couldn’t buy those 330ml bottles of it back then and there was only the 750ml glass bottle. 

Interesting @SirBalon mate, I didn't know that. It's perhaps explains why my mum use to go to Lucozade anytime I was ill when I was younger.

Yeah, it's not going to do much for hydration purposes or probably anything at all really, maybe good for the old placebo effect or the mental side of things. Similar to Spike, I remember if I was quite ill as a kid it would be the only thing I could stomach but my mum would offer it all the time. Don't really drink fizzy drinks at all now unless they involve alcohol on a night out.

8 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

Interesting @SirBalon mate, I didn't know that. It's perhaps explains why my mum use to go to Lucozade anytime I was ill when I was younger.

Yeah, it's not going to do much for hydration purposes or probably anything at all really, maybe good for the old placebo effect or the mental side of things. Similar to Spike, I remember if I was quite ill as a kid it would be the only thing I could stomach but my mum would offer it all the time. Don't really drink fizzy drinks at all now unless they involve alcohol on a night out.

Yeah, for hydration it's probably not all that good and Lucozade ended up creating their own brand of isotonic drinks in the 90s anyhow.  I think it just had to do wit the fact that if you were feeling poorly they would feel that glucose being an energy booster, then it would be good for you.

This is the glass bottle it came in back when I was a kid

abe8ed786b9a81d85e1440d83b9eb268.jpg

And these are the adds (way before I was born) which shows what was thought of Lucozade and why you would see it in hospitals I would suspect.

a50997cf14700c24aece29684bf86f5f--lucoza

lucozade.jpg

Lucozade-ad-from-1951-child-copy.jpeg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Danny said:

Weirdly drinking Lucozade always made my asthma play up, had to drink the orange one which is actually the best.

Nothing beat the original Lucozade for flavour mate.

Anyway... back on track (which is contradicting what this thread is actually about xD:whistling:), They destroyed a legacy with the recipe change and what was once something original and special, is now a substitute for bleach. 

I never knew lucozade was so old. My grandparents drink it when they're sick and i've always thought it was strange but now I know why. I thought Lucozade came out in the 90s or something because i've been brought up with it being a 'sports drink'.

Lucozade is fucking great and i'm seething that they've reduced the sugar content. It is or at least was amazing for hangovers. 

On 08/03/2018 at 22:12, SirBalon said:

Indeed mate, I kid you not. It would be seen as a given on absolutely every hospital bedside and you’d drink it if you wished obviously.

Back in the day it wasn’t seen as a sports energy drink until Daley Thompson started advertising it on tv. Back then it was seen as a drink that was good for you. This was way before it was sold as a typical softdrink at your local newsagent as you couldn’t buy those 330ml bottles of it back then and there was only the 750ml glass bottle. 

My nan used to give me lucozade when ill. Lucozade, grapes and raspberries.

Shit like Grapes, raspberries and pineapple are what you should have to be honest, watery fruits.

Also can't forget celery, cucumber and lettuce. All contain a lot of water.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

• Subscriber

Sometimes I get Lucozade when I'm hungover. Only Orange though. If they started by selling the Original flavour, I have to be honest I've got no idea how they sold enough of that shite to be successful, it's so bad.

1 hour ago, Berserker said:

@SirBalon How would you compare that Lucozade to Gatorade mate?, would you say it's better?

The original Lucozades like the original flavour (that golden coloured one) or the Lemon, Orange etc... etc... Because they then went into a multitude of flavours I think have no resemblance at all to Gatorade mate.  But the Lucozade isotonic drink that they made for sports men and women is very similar, but then again so are most isotonic drinks which I've always disliked and have never experienced any effect whatsoever in my energy levels where any different to any sugary drink.  But the ones we're talking about has similarity mate.

Yesterday I did my first full narration of a game as a journalist. Well technically second but I don't count the first as I was doing it solo. Trust me you don't want to commentate on your own. Sadly, the game ended 0-0 and I didn't get to yell goal. I had a lot of fun though, its certainly not an easy job but I did well enjoy it and I'm glad I keep progressing as I though commentating was something I would never get down.

31 minutes ago, Blue said:

Yesterday I did my first full narration of a game as a journalist. Well technically second but I don't count the first as I was doing it solo. Trust me you don't want to commentate on your own. Sadly, the game ended 0-0 and I didn't get to yell goal. I had a lot of fun though, its certainly not an easy job but I did well enjoy it and I'm glad I keep progressing as I though commentating was something I would never get down.

I've watched a few games that only have one commentator and it's really weird. Can't imagine how uncomfortable it must be to be the one doing it xD

I think it's fair to say you're quite opinionated - do you tone it down for the commentary and journalism, or do you always call it exactly how you see it?

Edited by Burning Gold

41 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

I've watched a few games that only have one commentator and it's really weird. Can't imagine how uncomfortable it must be to be the one doing it xD

I think it's fair to say you're quite opinionated - do you tone it down for the commentary and journalism, or do you always call it exactly how you see it?

Yeah it's awful. Especially when you do it via radio, you need to be talking as much as possible. Not having a commentator to help you catch your breath really sucks.

As for your question, that depends. I can be. Usually only when it interests other though. Here im not afraid to get any opinion out such as Hamsik being the best number 10. There is more interest on here than a Peruvian who doesn't follow Serie A much. I don't believe I've said Neymar is the best in the world in my eyes either. I plan on telling that to my Peruvian journalist colleagues at some point, expecting them to disagree but respect my opinion as they always do but on talk shows or twitter I'm not seen as the European football expert. I like to say I know quite a bit about European footy but I'm not an expert. 

Thats not to say I don't have controversial opinions with Peru, actually on my next podcast I have an opinion on Peru's next manager that I feel lots will disagree with but I do feel it's relevant and should get out my thoughts to people. Often when I get these thoughts out I try to sound as respectable as possible. Of course I'll get criticized but at the same time I can't lie to others otherwise I won't feel free. It often needs to be in a relevant moment. Often the way it is if you sound respectable, then people will respect your opinion even if they disagree. It's not the case with everyone and I expect criticism but there are trolls everywhere and to actual right minded people, we know that there is a difference between insulting and giving an opinion. The people who troll me I just ignore. Luckily I've not had that much yet.

Some of these things comes with time really. If you say something that sounds crazy, people will criticize but if you give it time to settle in, they'll begin to realize that you're right. In that moment you reiterate it in a non insultive way. Lastly, the only thing that matters is yourself. There are a lot of misinformed people and at the end of the day, you could see something they don't and just trust your own opinion. I try to stay level headed. I don't insult or swear in my work.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Spike said:

I tried to get the mrs. to go for a run/walk with me, but she refused to. Why the fuck should I even bother, if she doesn't? Absolute waste of my time, and kills my motivation.

why do you need to go with her?

Just now, Stan said:

why do you need to go with her?

I don't need to go with her, I need her to stop being an overweight diabetic that outright refuses to exercise. She wants to have kids soon and I told her that I refuse to have kids until she gets her health under control.

• Administrator
Just now, Spike said:

I don't need to go with her, I need her to stop being an overweight diabetic that outright refuses to exercise. She wants to have kids soon and I told her that I refuse to have kids until she gets her health under control.

well now that there's some context, your comment makes sense xD