talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

50 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Have to say I don't mind McDonald's that much but on the Isle of Man it's a pretty captive audience, no KFC, no Burger King, no Nandos and we're now down to just two Subways. First world problems and that.

My town has a supermarket, a pub, two roadhouses(petrol station with a greasy food menu), and a cafe. All serve the same stuff. When I go to Perth it’s like being on holiday! 

Edited by Toinho

Man Flu ( day 1 )

Well I have managed to survive the first night, It was not easy but I am holding on... Been coughing and sneezing and blowing all kinds of crap out my nose most of the night.. My head is pounding.. They are trying hard to disable me the little buggy fuckers but I will not go down lightly.. I will not go quietly into the night etc...  I have always been a fighter if truth be known... 

Just thought I would document my condition on a daily basis in case things take a turn for the worse and these end up being the last words, at least I will have something written down for posterity.. First though I would like to explore the myth that Man Flu is something we have made up, well I can assure you it's very real.. It's so real in fact that the Oxford and Cambridgeshire dictionaries have included it as a term.. Oxford have defined it as 'A cold or other minor ailment experienced by a man who is regarded as exaggerating the severity of the symptoms' Others have it down as 'Wimpy Man Syndrome' Clearly these articles have been written by women who have never experienced it first hand and have just cobbled together what they have heard in their coffee morning gossip circles... 

My rota idea was a bit of a let down last night, It started out ok but around 1:30am people were starting to complain about 'feeling tired' and wanting to go to bed so around 2am I was left all alone and helpless, I felt abandoned, like that elderly relative no-one wants to take responsibility for.. After everyone had deserted me I tried to pull the cover over me as it was getting colder but I was so weak it felt like trying to pull a lead sheet up.. It was such a hard struggle I thought the dog must be laying on it near the bottom of the bed.. I struggled with it for 10 minutes before I finally got it up to my chin then had to push it off again as it felt like it was crushing me under the weight.. I could barely breath... 

Off the back of that I am now going to be keeping a detailed log of who comes and goes and for how long, I will cross reference this with the amount of convincing effort they are putting in when trying to make me feel better... I have warned them that given my condition and the gravity of the situation I may have to make sure my last will and testament is bang up to date and it will not be too late for me to omit family I feel have not put in the required effort during my final days.. As it stands our Dog and Cat stand to inherit the lot.. 

In the meantime I will be googling home help so that I can have round the clock care... 

Edited by Bluewolf
  • Haha 2

• Subscriber
31 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Man Flu ( day 1 )

Well I have managed to survive the first night, It was not easy but I am holding on... Been coughing and sneezing and blowing all kinds of crap out my nose most of the night.. My head is pounding.. They are trying hard to disable me the little buggy fuckers but I will not go down lightly.. I will not go quietly into the night etc...  I have always been a fighter if truth be known... 

Just thought I would document my condition on a daily basis in case things take a turn for the worse and these end up being the last words, at least I will have something written down for posterity.. First though I would like to explore the myth that Man Flu is something we have made up, well I can assure you it's very real.. It's so real in fact that the Oxford and Cambridgeshire dictionaries have included it as a term.. Oxford have defined it as 'A cold or other minor ailment experienced by a man who is regarded as exaggerating the severity of the symptoms' Others have it down as 'Wimpy Man Syndrome' Clearly these articles have been written by women who have never experienced it first hand and have just cobbled together what they have heard in their coffee morning gossip circles... 

My rota idea was a bit of a let down last night, It started out ok but around 1:30am people were starting to complain about 'feeling tired' and wanting to go to bed so around 2am I was left all alone and helpless, I felt abandoned, like that elderly relative no-one wants to take responsibility for.. After everyone had deserted me I tried to pull the cover over me as it was getting colder but I was so weak it felt like trying to pull a lead sheet up.. It was such a hard struggle I thought the dog must be laying on it near the bottom of the bed.. I struggled with it for 10 minutes before I finally got it up to my chin then had to push it off again as it felt like it was crushing me under the weight.. I could barely breath... 

Off the back of that I am now going to be keeping a detailed log of who comes and goes and for how long, I will cross reference this with the amount of convincing effort they are putting in when trying to make me feel better... I have warned them that given my condition and the gravity of the situation I may have to make sure my last will and testament is bang up to date and it will not be too late for me to omit family I feel have not put in the required effort during my final days.. As it stands our Dog and Cat stand to inherit the lot.. 

In the meantime I will be googling home help so that I can have round the clock care... 

These might help Joe...

81rDTfp6znL._SY445_.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nudge said:

These might help Joe...

81rDTfp6znL._SY445_.jpg

Thank god someone is at least trying to help find a cure for this terrible affliction... It's appreciated, much love and a portion of my will has now been set aside for you.. 

If you could just get them posted to me I will arrange for someone to get the lid off... 

'And other made up illnesses!' xD

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Thank god someone is at least trying to help find a cure for this terrible affliction... It's appreciated, much love and a portion of my will has now been set aside for you.. 

If you could just get them posted to me I will arrange for someone to get the lid off... 

'And other made up illnesses!' xD

Hope that's those old Heavy Metal issues...

• Haha 1

On 17/10/2018 at 07:56, SirBalon said:

It's extremely rare, but on the occasion where I'm absolutely rushed and going from one place to the next without time for lunch and want a bite to eat, but want it instantly... Then Pret A Manger is where I end up going in and out of.  McDonald's like KFC is really proof that people disrespect their body in every way.

Smoking is far more ‘disrespectful’ to your body than the odd McDonald’s.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Marc said:

Smoking is far more ‘disrespectful’ to your body than the odd McDonald’s.

It's not just disrespectful, it destroys you in every way.  But it's an addictive substance, one of the most addictive which means it's difficult to control for many. It's a disgusting habit!  Repulsive!

Eating McDonald's and the like on the other hand also damages your body in a very slow manner but hasn't got the addictive values of smoking which means that those that do it are either thick, lazy or just don't care.

Aside from all that stuff... Talking about the side affects that eating shit has for you, one of those is obesity.  Obesity is the second biggest cause of Cancer.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

It's not just disrespectful, it destroys you in every way.  But it's an addictive substance, one of the most addictive which means it's difficult to control for many. It's a disgusting habit!  Repulsive!

Eating McDonald's and the like on the other hand also damages your body in a very slow manner but hasn't got the addictive values of smoking which means that those that do it are either thick, lazy or just don't care.

Aside from all that stuff... Talking about the side affects that eating shit has for you, one of those is obesity.  Obesity is the second biggest cause of Cancer.

To be fair though, there's an addictive quality for foods as well; mostly sugar, salt and fats (so basically the main stuff in junk food) which impact the areas of the brain associated with pleasure (mainly seratonine/dopamine responses) and meddle with the brain's satiety mechanism. Lipids target similar reward areas of the brain as opioid drugs like heroin.

I agree though that's essentially it's still each individual's choice though. Just like smoking. :P  

7 minutes ago, nudge said:

To be fair though, there's an addictive quality for foods as well; mostly sugar, salt and fats (so basically the main stuff in junk food) which impact the areas of the brain associated with pleasure (mainly seratonine/dopamine responses) and meddle with the brain's satiety mechanism. Lipids target similar reward areas of the brain as opioid drugs like heroin.

I agree though that's essentially it's still each individual's choice though. Just like smoking. :P  

Indeed Nudge, they do add addictive substances into junk food but as I said, the values of the addictiveness in junk food isn't anywhere near the same as with smoking.

Food consumption is more detrimental and a more important factor because not everyone smokes, but everyone does need to eat and many societies as time goes by use junk food more and more and less people cook at home with fresh produce.

And no, heating pre-cocked food at home from your supermarket packs doesn't constitute as cooking (for those that use this method). 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Indeed Nudge, they do add addictive substances into junk food but as I said, the values of the addictiveness in junk food isn't anywhere near the same as with smoking.

Food consumption is more detrimental and a more important factor because not everyone smokes, but everyone does need to eat and many societies as time goes by use junk food more and more and less people cook at home with fresh produce.

And no, heating pre-cocked food at home from your supermarket packs doesn't constitute as cooking (for those that use this method). 

I agree, smoking at least keeps you thin :ph34r:xD

Joking aside, quality of food is definitely more important on a large scale, especially given cultural significance of food and eating. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

So you’re not an idiot for smoking? Please. 

4 minutes ago, Toinho said:

So you’re not an idiot for smoking? Please. 

I think that's a given isn't it?  The question didn't even need to be asked and the answer isn't exactly that, but simply a pre ordained label for all those that do it.

Are you trying to reduce your idiocy because you eat shit? xD

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I think that's a given isn't it?  The question didn't even need to be asked and the answer isn't exactly that, but simply a pre ordained label for all those that do it.

Are you trying to reduce your idiocy because you eat shit? xD

No, to me it sounded like you wanted to attack a group of people because you can’t control your filthy habit... haha 

Just now, Toinho said:

No, to me it sounded like you wanted to attack a group of people because you can’t control your filthy habit... haha 

Not at all mate, we all know what smoking signifies and thankfully how modern more educated societies see smoking.

But I am attacking (and as hard as I can) those that eat crap food because of laziness (fundamentally)... The reason being is because they are probably those people that will attack a smoker for his disgusting habit. I think all this belongs in Cicero's hypocrisy thread to be honest.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Not at all mate, we all know what smoking signifies and thankfully how modern more educated societies see smoking.

But I am attacking (and as hard as I can) those that eat crap food because of laziness (fundamentally)... The reason being is because they are probably those people that will attack a smoker for his disgusting habit. I think all this belongs in Cicero's hypocrisy thread to be honest.

Fair play. I’ve had a fair few pints. Another hypocritical thing to do... 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Toinho said:

Fair play. I’ve had a fair few pints. Another hypocritical thing to do... 

Shall we start a different one mate?

Let's give it a go...

Alcohol is the ultimate hypocrisy of almost every government and their will to control.  Alcohol is more addictive than almost every drug (you know what I mean with drugs) and also destroys one's person, their families and everyone around them.  The side effects of overusing alcohol are those of overusing drugs and yet one is legal and the otherone isn't in most countries.

14 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Shall we start a different one mate?

Let's give it a go...

Alcohol is the ultimate hypocrisy of almost every government and their will to control.  Alcohol is more addictive than almost every drug (you know what I mean with drugs) and also destroys one's person, their families and everyone around them.  The side effects of overusing alcohol are those of overusing drugs and yet one is legal and the otherone isn't in most countries.

Alcohol being legal is definitely an interesting topic of debate. I agree with you here. 

1 minute ago, Toinho said:

Alcohol being legal is definitely an interesting topic of debate. I agree with you here. 

I think the question and answer lies in something I'm sure @nudge may agree on with what's culturally accepted.  Because I or anyone could now go down the route of accusing someone that uses alcohol freely (in an obsessive manner which doesn't mean you have to use all that much of it) of being an idiot as I have also thrown at smokers and those that have no idea how to fuel their body with food.

Cultural habits and being brought up in them must exempt someone from much of the culpability of getting caught up in the stupidity of it all until they have enough info ascertained to understand these things (too late in some cases as they're already drawn in or addicted).

So who's to blame here?

• Subscriber

Alcohol is too ingrained in human culture and history as it's likely as old as civilization itself and had numerous purposes (i.e. not only for pleasure) throughout the years. 

As for the blame - for me, it's solely the fault of an individual as long as it's a grown up with knowledge of the potential harm of misuse. Let's be clear here, the overwhelming majority of people in the world using alcohol do not abuse it or misuse it to such a degree where it has an impact on their daily functioning and the well-being of themselves and their families. Some are more susceptible to become addicted, but it normally takes years of abuse to get there and if said individual doesn't realise the problem and doesn't accept help, well I'm not sure we can blame anyone else can we?... 

There's a difference between drinking moderately and getting wasted like an Englishman on a stag do abroad too haha. The former is shown to have certain health benefits, the latter is destructive.

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Eating McDonalds once a week won't kill you. Neither will smoking once a week.

Yet both are completely advertised different. 

The thing with smoking is that 8 out of 10 people who pick up smoking is because of direct or indirect influence of others aka smoking makes you look cool and also there is passive smoking too.